Sunny holiday with a toddler - suggestions please

Stevo985

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah that's fair, and I did consider it maybe as a sticking point :D

We would probably drive there, stopping in Croatia on the way. With my wife on maternity and me pretty much working remotely, we could stay really as long as we wanted :D 

Maybe back on topic and more accessible for the majority of the audience, another one my wife suggested for us is Balaton lake in Hungary. We are looking to drive there for a long weekend in the summer.

If you stayed on the east side of the lake, the transfer from Budapest wouldn't be too bad.

And I've heard again, amazing things about the weather/quality of service for the price.

@tonyh29 I'm sure you're much more of an expert than me here.

I drive pass Balaton on the way to my In-laws , we often stay there with the family for a few nights  , always a heart in mouth moment as I've been there a couple of times for lads weekends and , well lets just say there is some video evidence of me doing a naked karaoke one drunken night that one bar owner has   :blush:

its not as cheap as it once was , but the HUF is around 450 to the £ at the moment , ( was down to 320 at one point a few years back) so it should still represent good value 

Siofok is the party zone , you'll get a drink there until 7am  , but tbf they have security around and make sure the drunks are out the way by daytime so that it can have a family resort vibe by day  ..if you stay up the top end you wont be kept awake by music or anything  . 

Keszthely is the quieter place to stay on Balaton though if you are worried about your ability to stay clothed  , but at 50 miles long there are loads of places you can stay 

Edited by tonyh29

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The one thing tempting me away from Turkey is actually how hot it will be. Looks like between June and October it's regularly over 30.

Are you just looking for the summer months?  I just spent a week in Tenerife and it was 20-25 degrees and the flights were dirt cheap.  The airport is pretty close to all the resorts, Costa Adeje is only about 15 minutes away and a pretty lively, family-friendly area.  The only problem is it's about 4 hours flight, I don't have kids but there was a family with a baby and toddler in front of me and they were no trouble.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The one thing tempting me away from Turkey is actually how hot it will be. Looks like between June and October it's regularly over 30.

We go to Marmaris in Turkey nearly every year and July/August can be bordering on unbearable at times.We went in late June a couple of times and was still very warm.There was people with infants each time and most hotels have kids areas,some with covered kids pools.

• Like 1

Just now, Derryvillan said:

We go to Marmaris in Turkey nearly every year and July/August can be bordering on unbearable at times.We went in late June a couple of times and was still very warm.There was people with infants each time and most hotels have kids areas,some with covered kids pools.

We were looking at June or September. outside of the summer holidays

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

We were looking at June or September. outside of the summer holidays

We went last week of September our 2nd year.

Amazing thunderstorm when we arrived,then 7 days of comfortable sunshine.Cooler at night too,as July/Aug its still in the 20s at night.

• Like 1

I went to belek October 2022 and it was 25°, cloudy a few days

Went in August as a kid and definitley wouldn't recommend that

When are they 2? That's the line you've got to use, do it before they're 2 as the price hike is mental 

On 16/02/2024 at 17:22, villa4europe said:

I went to belek October 2022 and it was 25°, cloudy a few days

Went in August as a kid and definitley wouldn't recommend that

When are they 2? That's the line you've got to use, do it before they're 2 as the price hike is mental 

He's already 2.

But TUI seem to offer plenty of holidays with free places for kids, which he qualifies for.
Now I'm sure the prices for the two of us are higher as a result, but it still seems pretty reasonable.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 14/02/2024 at 13:24, sharkyvilla said:

Are you just looking for the summer months?  I just spent a week in Tenerife and it was 20-25 degrees and the flights were dirt cheap.  The airport is pretty close to all the resorts, Costa Adeje is only about 15 minutes away and a pretty lively, family-friendly area.  The only problem is it's about 4 hours flight, I don't have kids but there was a family with a baby and toddler in front of me and they were no trouble.

Canary Islands are great for kids.

We took our son to Lanzarote when he was 2 and Gran Canaria when he was 4 and he absolutely loved it. He says he wants to go back again.

Warm but not too hot for a little one. Plenty to do, great food and beaches and not to expensive.  We were able to get a private villa with a pool both times and he was swimming multiple times every day.

We're heading to Madiera (apparently very similar) in May so hoping more of the same.

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1

Â