Scandinavian Goalkeeping?

FLVillan

Turned on the telly tonight and witnessed none other than a long-haired Orjan Nyland in goal for Norway against Spain.  Only saw about half-an-hour of the match, but he looked just as scary as he did when he was in our colours!

With Olsen, Nyland and Sinisalo (good prospect but our 4th choice) all being regulars for their respective countries it begs the question, what the heck happened to the Thorsveldts, Ravellis, Schmeichels and Sorensens?  Did Enckleman lower the bar for all to follow?

I think you've got to look at the quality of them teams all round, not just the 'keepers.

When Ravelli was playing for Sweden, they had a very good side. 

Schmeichel was a bit of a one off and that Denmark team was similar to Greece in their achievements, they did have some top players, but their success was built around having such a great team spirit - that was clear when a few of their 'star' players joined top European sides and just didn't cut it. 

Growing up, Sweden, Norway & Denmark all would regularly qualify for the Euros or WCs but it seems the standard has either fallen off, or the emergence of other sides has meant they no longer are seen at these tournaments. 

Norway has only ever qualified for 3 tournaments. 2 WC's and 1 Euro. I think.

Sweden i think is a combination of the league being poor, playing a lot on plastic pitches and players moving abroad too soon and getting stuck on the bench.

6 hours ago, FLVillan said:

OK, "Nordic Goalkeepers" .... 😛 Forgot Jussi Jaaskelainen too... 

And Antti Niemi. Finland had a good run of quality between the posts.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

Always thought Marcus Hedman was decent. 

Certainly knew how to handle them balls.

Slightly NSFW

Spoiler

His missus at the time

magda_brost_stor9.jpg

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

Â