Booting a laptop without opening the lid

Genie

This is bugging me.

My son has inherited my wife’s newish, but basic Asus laptop for his school work.

Currently he has an ancient dell laptop. It is used more like a desktop and it’s stowed at the side of his desk and connected to an external monitor.

When he turns on the power to the laptop at the plug socket it boots up, all good.

My work Dell laptop works in exactly the same way.

The Asus does not for some reason. I have to open the lid and press the button to get it to boot. Anyone know how to fix this? I have seen there are options to “wake” a laptop from sleep or hibernation with a mouse click but not to boot from a shutdown.

55 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is bugging me.

My son has inherited my wife’s newish, but basic Asus laptop for his school work.

Currently he has an ancient dell laptop. It is used more like a desktop and it’s stowed at the side of his desk and connected to an external monitor.

When he turns on the power to the laptop at the plug socket it boots up, all good.

My work Dell laptop works in exactly the same way.

The Asus does not for some reason. I have to open the lid and press the button to get it to boot. Anyone know how to fix this? I have seen there are options to “wake” a laptop from sleep or hibernation with a mouse click but not to boot from a shutdown.

It's a bit scary that a computer boots when connected to power. It's a fire risk.. You should have to press a button. It's why I buy laptops with a button on the side of the case.

"Wake on LAN" is used to remotely turn on a device but not really usable in a home setting.

26 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's a bit scary that a computer boots when connected to power. It's a fire risk.. You should have to press a button. It's why I buy laptops with a button on the side of the case.

"Wake on LAN" is used to remotely turn on a device but not really usable in a home setting.

Not sure how it’s a fire risk, lots of devices like TV’s, monitors & phones will come on as soon as they’re plugged in.

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

USB/Thunderbolt docking-stations sometimes have a ON-button on them. Can you use one of those?

I can have a look cheers.

It looks like some versions of Asus laptops have a button in the BIOS to make it happen (boot when ac) but not this laptop (and BIOS is up to date).

I’ll see if there’s any docks but if not he’ll just have to take it out of the stand, open lid, press power button, close lid, back in the stand.

Its a tough few seconds for a teenager :lol: 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not sure how it’s a fire risk, lots of devices like TV’s, monitors & phones will come on as soon as they’re plugged in.

That's not my experience. I think I might have had an old phone that did, but none of the others.

I can configure some smart devices to come on after power loss, but they all default to off.

21 minutes ago, limpid said:

That's not my experience. I think I might have had an old phone that did, but none of the others.

I can configure some smart devices to come on after power loss, but they all default to off.

iPhones definitely come on when you connect to power. My children’s Samsung android tablets do. TV does.

On the laptop though it doesn’t seem possible unless there’s something in the bios (Dell seem to have it, Asus don’t).

I second the dock thing.

We use them for work. They're pretty small so don't take up much extra room, and when you plug the laptop into them it boots the laptop. But there's also a button on the dock itself that boots it too (eg if you've shut it down but haven't unplugged it)

Something like this

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I second the dock thing.

We use them for work. They're pretty small so don't take up much extra room, and when you plug the laptop into them it boots the laptop. But there's also a button on the dock itself that boots it too (eg if you've shut it down but haven't unplugged it)

Something like this

90 quid to save the physical exertion of pressing the power on key!

Surely the simple option is to just put the laptop to sleep and set the lid options to sleep/wake?

1 hour ago, blandy said:

90 quid to save the physical exertion of pressing the power on key!

Surely the simple option is to just put the laptop to sleep and set the lid options to sleep/wake?

I'm sure there are cheaper versions, I was just using an example

Â