You name our defence

Marka Ragnos

20 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Arsenal have also been playing central defenders at RB like White and Tomiyasu.

Emery has done this as well at Villarreal to a degree, with Foyth at RB.  With Pep utilizing it to great effect, others will begin to copy.  I'm convinced it's why Emery wanted Torres, we now have 4 good CBs and can play a back four with 3 centre backs and one full back or a back four with 2 centre backs and 2 full backs.

We've seen it in pre-season, both sides:

vs. Fulham:

Carlos -- Konsa -- Tores ------------
-----------------------------------------Digne

vs. Brentford:

----------- Konsa -- Mings -- Torres
Cash ----------------------------------------

Edited by duke313
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Emery has done this as well at Villarreal to a degree, with Foyth at RB.  With Pep utilizing it to great effect, others will begin to copy.  I'm convinced it's why Emery wanted Torres, we now have 4 good CBs and can play a back four with 3 centre backs and one full back or a back four with 2 centre backs and 2 full backs.

We've seen it in pre-season, both sides:

vs. Fulham:

Carlos -- Konsa -- Tores ------------
-----------------------------------------Digne

vs. Brentford:

----------- Konsa -- Mings -- Torres
Cash ----------------------------------------

I think it’s also why you’re seeing our CBs marauding forwards in pre season.

We were doing it already last season, but it seems more obvious now that Emery wants CBs who can drive forwards into space on the transition, and then with the extra CB in defence they tuck in to plug the gap.

Should be fun to watch. I think all our CBs look useful carrying the ball and can cause problems in attack.

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

That last quote about Konsa playing right back, but “thinking as a centre back, not as a right back” is interesting.

Absolutely. Can’t see any significant money spent on a RB unless it’s a young prospect.

There is a lot to like about the 3 CB formation with who we have. My only concern with 3 CB’s is when Brentford figured it out and managed to isolate the Left and Right and rip us open with someone making the overlapping run on the wing into the large amount of open space. Something the LCB and RCB will get used to hopefully.

Â