Horse Racing - the good, the bad and the ugly

bielesibub

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Never understood laying horses but it’s a thing now isn’t it. 

if you can pick overpriced horses you can make a load on it

does defeat the 'fun' aspect, when you've already made your money before the race even starts

1 minute ago, andym said:

14:20 at cheltenham looks a great race.

Whole load of course/course+distance winners or placers

Hard to pick one when there's loads in there who have won for you before. Torn and Frayed did so a while back, but has been off since, interesting he's plunged right back in in this race, although trainer has a good record in it. The Real Whacker has been great to follow, and is a bit of an outside shot for me for Gold Cup in March. Will be tough off top weight today though.

@Rugeley Villa your selection Angels Breath another intriguing runner who's had injury issues, but could be chucked in off his mark. Trainer seems pretty adept at placing his horses.

Very good race and The Real Whacker is a top level horse potentially and loves it at Cheltenham. Stage Star another who’s probably a level up from handicaps. I think Stage Star is better handicapped than The Real Whacker.  Yeah my horse is an interesting one, he’s got some good back form and ran well last time out over hurdles after a long lay off. If he’s still capable over fences then he’s thrown in as you say. 

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

if you can pick overpriced horses you can make a load on it

does defeat the 'fun' aspect, when you've already made your money before the race even starts

Yeah obviously people make money from it but it goes against what I’m in it for and that’s the excitement of a winner .

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah I fancied the latter to run a big race providing he didn’t pull up. Ran well for ew money .

He did mate. I thought he was going to fade away at one point but he stayed well. Ventia Williams horse in 2nd also stayed well.

Nice to get off to a bit of a result.

I picked out Broadway Boy in the 1.45. Hopefully a decent race for us both mate as it was between this and Mr Coffey. 

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He did mate. I thought he was going to fade away at one point but he stayed well. Ventia Williams horse in 2nd also stayed well.

Nice to get off to a bit of a result.

I picked out Broadway Boy in the 1.45. Hopefully a decent race for us both mate as it was between this and Mr Coffey. 

Yeah he was riding him a bit from home but stayed on in the end . I’m hoping Mr Coffey is too good here. Henderson seems sweet about him today and everything set up for him to get off the mark as he’s 0/9 at the minute but has ran well in defeat in hot races. Good stamina test on soft should be up his street. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Some horse to completely control that field. Big blunder at last but still won going away.  Very very good horse .

mistakes like that really affect many a horse. to recover and kick back on was special. i'd already accepted place money

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

mistakes like that really affect many a horse. to recover and kick back on was special. i'd already accepted place money

Unbelievable recovery to then win going away. I had him high up but was worried he may be carrying too much weight. Was certainly better handicapped than The Real Whacker who couldn’t go with him. 

Â