Playing out from the back

Tom13

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Marco Verratti taking it to another level

Veratti is one of the best players in the world so I guess he can do a bit more of it than necessary.

I was listening to a long podcast with Wojciech Szczesny (Juventus goalkeeper) saying that playing out from the back is simply a trend in football and will likely change/develop into something else. 

Just like when we got a 'Makalele role', attacking wing backs, a false 9. It will likely change and develop - who's to say that in 5 years time teams won't play it long into open spaces for quick forwards to pick up a loose ball. 

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Veratti is one of the best players in the world so I guess he can do a bit more of it than necessary.

I was listening to a long podcast with Wojciech Szczesny (Juventus goalkeeper) saying that playing out from the back is simply a trend in football and will likely change/develop into something else. 

Just like when we got a 'Makalele role', attacking wing backs, a false 9. It will likely change and develop - who's to say that in 5 years time teams won't play it long into open spaces for quick forwards to pick up a loose ball. 

Teams are doing this all the time now? 

The point of playing it out from the back is to invite a bit of pressure to open that space to play it into. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, El Zen said:

The point of playing it out from the back is to invite a bit of pressure to open that space to play it into. 

yeah...this.

Emery's system to me looks like a hybrid.

ie: patient and close build up from the back to draw the press and open up gaps behind, then quick/direct play to the forwards to exploit the space created by drawing the press and opposition players towards our defence/midfled.

Its one reason i think we will be going for quick/athletic as well as technical players in the forward like and wide this summer, to allow the intricate play in our own half to transition to quick/athletic transition/direct play in the final half/third.

Another reason Ings didnt suit Emery, he isnt the type of player Emery likes in his forward line, and i can see why we are being linked with players like Williams etc.

Duran will also likely fit Emery's style.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Yeah playing it out from the back is a counter to the park the bus teams. Just an ebb and flow. In the early 2010s, everyone was about tiki taka. Then the gegenpress was all the rage. To counter the gegenpress, teams just sat back and hit these teams on the counter. So now teams play out from the back to invite teams onto them and prevent them from parking the bus.

Pep's an asshole but he's evolved and dictated his way through all these changes. Now you see a new crop of managers (Arteta, De Zerbi, Spalletti etc) really utilizing it.

Of course - there's still a mix of other teams. The big boy hoof it up Brentford that some posters love and a mix of approaches from Newcastle and then the flexible Ancelotti with his riches at Madrid.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, El Zen said:

some are, some are mastering the 2018-2021 Liverpool front 3 all forward attack. I don't know what the future of football will bring.

We might very well see the Morocco approach of deep defending and getting bodies forward as soon as ball is picked up.

It's all trends, but no revolutions as such. 

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

It's also playing percentages if you play with 1 striker (which most teams seem to these days?).  If you're going long to a sole target, chances are you're losing possession of the ball.  If you're playing it from the back, you're retaining possession and can work up the pitch.

Obviously has the risky side too :D 

• Like 1

Â