Giants News

kkr

I think it's definitely true that if you were picking from the QBs to have started and won a Super Bowl who are active, Eli is the last one you'd want. Whether that says anything, though, I don't know.

But I'd take Brady over Eli.

I'd take Woerthlisrapistberger over Eli (unless I had a daughter who was in college)

I'd take Brees over Eli

I'd take [a healthy] Peyton over Eli

I'd take Rodgers over Eli

He really suffers from that perception, IMO: being the worst of the winners. That's still a damn sight better than the best of the losers like McNabb, Romo, Rivers, Flacco, Sanchez...

Yeah Id take all those QBs over Eli too with the possible exception of Big Ben who has had the best D in the league behind him since his rookie year up until now with that unit starting to age and suffer injuries.

I think Big Ben and Eli are of a similar standard but i wouldn't argue massively with anyone who would take him over Eli. It's close.

It's funny because he probably is the worst of all the active QBs to have won it, but he put in arguably the best performance of the lot all things considered.

The City Is Yours

Rex Ryan has been big on making predictions since he arrived into town, predicting the Jets would win the Super Bowl and predicting his team would turn New York green. Remember this from his book:

"When people ask me what it's like to share New York with the Giants, my response is always, I am not sharing it with them -- they're sharing it with me. I know it's going to piss off every Giants fan to hear this, but here you go: We are the better team. We are the big brother."

Ryan's words sound a little ridiculous now that the Jets have gotten off to a sloppy 2-2 start, while the Giants share the NFC East lead at 3-1.

While panic could set in if the Jets lose at New England, Sunday, the Giants will return home to a raucous crowd at MetLife Stadium against the 1-3 Seahawks.

"All that talk," linebacker Michael Boley said of the Jets. "You can talk about what you're going to do before the season, but once you go out and play all that talk isn't going to mean anything."

That might depend on who is doing the talking. Truth is the Giants have been better at backing up their own boasts this season than the Jets. It seemed out of character for the Giants when mild-mannered quarterback Eli Manning said during the preseason that he belonged on the same level as three-time Super Bowl winner and future first-ballot Hall of Famer Tom Brady.

And let's not forget when general manager Jerry Reese channeled his inner Rex and guaranteed a playoff berth before hedging his bet.

The last time you heard anything like that from the Giants was when former receiver Plaxico Burress predicted the Giants would beat the Patriots, 23-17, in Super Bowl XLII. Brady laughed at that until losing the game and his perfect season, 17-14.

It's my hunch the 2011 Giants kept hearing all the blather coming from Florham Park and finally had their fill of being painted as a team with lowered expectations and a declining Q-rating. The Jets had the mouthy coach, the hot shot quarterback and the Giants' Super Bowl receiver.

The Jets were "going to remain the better team for the next 10 years," Ryan wrote in his book. "Whether you like it or not, those are the facts and that's what's going to happen."

These are the facts: There were probably more people that believed Ryan's boasting than believed Manning when he said he belonged on the same level as Brady.

But based on early returns, he does. Manning is the third-ranked quarterback in the league with a 105.6 rating, behind only Aaron Rodgers (124.6) and Brady (111.3). Yesterday, he had the chance to say, "I told you so," but didn't.

"We've done some good things and found a way to win games," he said. "But there is definitely lots of room for improvement. We're not content with where we are now. We want to get better."

The struggling Seahawks offer a mental as well as a physical challenge. They're ranked last in the league offensively, but coach Tom Coughlin has told his Giants to expect "a physical, intense game," against a team that "has improved on a weekly basis." He also pointed out the Giants' futility at stopping the run at Arizona where Beanie Wells rushed for 138 yards and three scores.

In four weeks, the Giants have gone from defending their belief in each other to addressing concerns of being overconfident.

"We have to stay humble," Boley said. "There were a lot of errors [against the Cardinals] that we have to do better at and get corrected."

We figured we'd wait until Christmas Eve for the Jets and Giants to settle bragging rights. We still might. But after four games here's another fact: One team in town is walking the talk; the other one isn't.

Jacobs, Tuck and Bass could all miss this weeks game so it's not the easy W it looks. Will need to come out with an intensity that gets us playing hard.

That being said, I think if we can get up on this team early by a couple of scores they could fold. Definition of the trap/letdown game.

Nice to see Eli getting some props, hopefully he has another big game Sunday.

Snee and DeOssie both have concussions. Snee will be in hospital overnight for his tonight, marvellous!

So if the Oline wasnt horrible enough we will probable be without our starting C and RG now also.

Badly coached game, no answer for the no huddle and if we let Tavaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst beat us up then come Brees, Rodgers, Brady and maybe even Fitzpatrick next week we are going to be shredded. That said if we get Tuck back id feel much better, but i dont think he will be around until after the bye.

Big game next week, would be nice to bounce back against a decent opponent, it seems like we only play when we arent expected to do well or get written off.

Snee and DeOssie both have concussions. Snee will be in hospital overnight for his tonight, marvellous!

So if the Oline wasnt horrible enough we will probable be without our starting C and RG now also.

Badly coached game, no answer for the no huddle and if we let Tavaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst beat us up then come Brees, Rodgers, Brady and maybe even Fitzpatrick next week we are going to be shredded. That said if we get Tuck back id feel much better, but i dont think he will be around until after the bye.

Big game next week, would be nice to bounce back against a decent opponent, it seems like we only play when we arent expected to do well or get written off.

I think i should've taken u up on that bet.

I think i should've taken u up on that bet.

Offer still stands.

Another day, another performance where David Diehl (-3.6) continues to try to prove those who said he couldn’t be worse at guard wrong. The Giants LG gave up an atrocious six pressures, so while the talk may have been of William Beatty (-2.8) surrendering two sacks and two penalties, Diehl was once again the lowest rated Giant in pass protection. At this point it’s not just a case of one or two bad performances, but consistently sub standard displays from Diehl who is not protecting his quarterback from pressure up the gut.

From PFF.

Diehl has been dogshit this year and with as bad as the line is playing id rather just bang Petrus in there to take over now while we are still woeful and trying to improve.

I think this year we are seeing how important Rich Seubert and Sean O'Hara were to this unit because the rest look like scrubs without him and the all pro Chis Snee has not been himself either.

Beatty is really weak also.

Jimmy Kennedy suspended 4 games for PEDs

Giants defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy, signed in August to provide depth inside, has been suspended four games after testing positive for performance-enhancing substances, the NFL said via statement.

Kennedy's suspension will begin immediately and will end on Nov. 14, one day after the team faces the 49ers in San Francisco.

The 31-year-old Kennedy, a former first-round pick of the Rams, has played well in limited duty this season in a rotation with starters Chris Canty and Linval Joseph, as well as veteran backup Rocky Bernard. He has four tackles in five games but has disrupted a few plays with solid penetration and helped with a key goal-line stand against the Eagles.

The Giants, who lost rookie second-round pick Marvin Austin to a torn pectoral muscle in the preseason, have a defensive tackle on the practice squad in Dwayne Hendricks, a Millville native who signed as an undrafted free agent last year and spent part of last season on the practice squad.

The Giants also had veteran defensive tackle Gabe Watson on their roster in training camp before releasing him at final cuts. He remains a free agent. Watson's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, wrote in an email he has not heard from the Giants regarding Watson.

The Giants did work out a free-agent defensive tackle today: former Bengals fifth-round pick Jason Shirley. It's unclear if they signed the 6-4, 345-pound Shirley, who briefly played offensive line for Cincy before returning to his natural spot at defensive tackle. Shirley hasn't appeared in a game since 2008 and is coming off an Achilles injury suffered last season.

Final Injury Report for Giants and Bills

Eric from BBI : 4:31 pm

Out

CB Prince Amukamara Foot (DNP)

FB Henry Hynoski Neck (DNP)

RB Brandon Jacobs Knee (DNP)

G Chris Snee Concussion (DNP)

DE Justin Tuck Groin/Neck (DNP)

Questionable

C David Baas Neck (LP)

LS Zak DeOssie Concussion (LP)

Probable

LB Michael Boley Knee (LP)

DE Osi Umenyiora Knee (LP)

Out

T Demetrius Bell Shoulder (DNP)

CB Aaron Williams Chest (DNP)

LB Chris Kelsay Calf (DNP)

WR Donald Jones Ankle (DNP)

Doubtful

LB Shawn Merriman Shoulder/Achilles (DNP)

Questionable

S Da’Norris Searcy Ankle (LP)

NT Kyle Williams Foot (LP)

LB Nick Barnett Ankle (LP)

Probable

G Andy Levitre Knee (FP)

LB Chris White Hamstring (FP)

DT Torell Troup Low Back (FP)

Media seemed to assume NT Kyle Williams wasn't going to play but he's only "questionable" for the game.

Tuck, Jacobs and Snee out is gonna be tough especially on our rubbish run game and trying to get that back on track.

If we can somehow win this game and go into the bye at 4-2 i would be very very happy with that record all things considered off the first 6 games.

Â