Giants News

kkr

Getting creative along the defensive front

Wondering how the Giants are going to get all their defensive linemen on the field this season? Well, apparently defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan has come up with one creative way. He lined them up in a 5-1-5 alignment at practice today, with DE Justin Tuck as the nose tackle, Jay Alford and Barry Cofield flanking him at tackle, and Mathias Kiwanuka and Osi Umenyiora at the ends.

“And there’s more to come,” Coughlin said. “Guys that are not practicing are part of the package too.”

The idea, Coughlin said, is to use “different alignments to try to create some issues for people.” And apparently Sheridan has many more ideas.

“With Osi back it’ll give us even more flexibility,” Couglin said. “That’s just getting started.”

link

:D

Money on Giants leading the league in sacks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Final 53 roster:

QB (2): Eli Manning, David Carr

RB (3): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Danny Ware

FB (1): Madison Hedgecock

WR (7): Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Sinorice Moss, Hakeem Nicks, Ramses Barden, Derek Hagan

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Darcy Johnson, Travis Beckum

OL (10): Shaun O'Hara, Chris Snee, Rich Seubert, Kareem McKenzie, David Diehl, Kevin Boothe, Tutan Reyes, Guy Whimper, Adam Koets, Will Beatty

DL (9): Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Fred Robbins, Barry Cofield, Mathias Kiwanuka, Chris Canty, Rocky Bernard, Dave Tollefson, Leger Douzable

LB (8 ): Antonio Pierce, Danny Clark, Chase Blackburn, Gerris Wilkinson, Clint Sintim, Zak DeOssie, Jonathan Goff, Bryan Kehl

DB (8 ): Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Michael Johnson, Kenny Phillips, Kevin Dockery, Terrell Thomas, C.C. Brown, Bruce Johnson

K (1): Lawrence Tynes

P (1): Jeff Feagles

Suspended (1): Michael Boley

Cut:

1. WR David Tyree

2. QB Andre’ Woodson

3. QB Rhett Bomar

4. TE Michael Matthews

5. DE Maurice Evans

6. CB DeAndre Wright

7. OL Cliff Louis

8. LB Kenny Ingram

9. DT Jeremy Clark

10. S Travonti Johnson

11. S Sha-reff Rashad

12. DE Robert Henderson

13. DT Orrin Thompson

14. S Vince Anderson

15. DT Anthony Bryant

16. WR Shaun Bodiford

17. DL Tommie Hill

18. OL Terrance Pennington

19. FB Dwayne Wright

20. RB Allen Patrick

21. DT Jay Alford to injured reserve

22. LB Michael Boley to suspended list

Not happy that the ones ive highlighted have been let go, all offer more than players on the squad.

Michael Matthews:

"I loved the Giants, man," he said. "I loved the organization. The time I was there, everyone was very supportive of me. The fans are awesome. I appreciate everything the guys did for me there. I love all the players still. I'll still talk to a bunch of them because I made some solid friendships. I loved my whole time there."

Was a fan of Matthews, he has been traded to NE for a conditional 2011 draft pick. They are getting a classy guy.

Tyree leaves Giants with "mixed feelings"

David Tyree wasn’t exactly surprised when the Giants told him to come in this morning and meet with Tom Coughlin. And he said he had “mixed feelings” when Coughlin finally said the words.

“It’s not like it’s a great day,” Tyree said. “But at the same time I’m filled with expectations about what’s next on this track, and I’m excited, as well.

“You get the call and obviously you have the inclination of what you’re going to hear. It’s not like I wasn’t prepared or knew it wasn’t a possibility. It kind of simplifies things for me and causes me to rejoice in the years that I’ve had here.”

Tyree knew the cut was coming because of a frustrating summer, in which he made the Giants’ decision easier because of his injuries and inconsistent performances. He expressed his frustration many times, including once earlier in camp when, after a day of dropped passes, he slammed his helmet to the ground and gave it a good kick.

“I’m an honest evaluator,” Tyree said. “I’m not going to sit there and say I had a great camp and ‘Why would they do this?’ I didn’t have a great camp. I had a very average camp. It started terrible and worked up to average. It’s about performance. Do I have any doubts in what I’m able to do? Not one bit. I still feel I’m one of the better special teams players in the league. I’ll take my skill set and move on and do some great things.

“Frustrating doesn’t even do it justice,” Tyree added. “At a certain point in time you have to lift your head and know everything kind of works for a reason and I guess I have to find out what that reason is. That’s what brings the excitement. The things that are out of your control, that’s when I turn to my faith and believe even more. You certainly do have to take the good with the bad. But the bad is what improves your character and makes you stronger.

“For whatever reason, things didn’t work out in my favor through this training camp. It’s my aim to take my reputation, my hard work and my faith to the next football team and help them win games.”

Tyree, as the Daily News reported earlier, has already fielded phone calls from the Chiefs and Ravens, who have some level of interest in his services.

Not surprisingly, the cut wasn’t easy for Coughlin, who said Tyree took the news with his familiar smile.

“David Tyree is such a class act,” Coughlin said. “What a great guy he is. When he came in to see me, I had a lot of emotions running through my head. He put everything at ease, he had a big smile on his face. I told David he is forever etched in the annals of New York Giants history. That will never change. That moment in history will stand forever in time.”

“It’s the big bang theory,” Tyree said. “It’s a moment that obviously will never be taken, it’s a moment that I will cherish. I said after the game, if I never get a chance to play football again, I can’t be upset with the way my career went. I will continue to pursue and I will continue to break down some barriers and continue to grind it out. I feel like I have some great things to bring a football team and that’s what I’m going to work toward now.”

Coughlin also lauded Tyree as “the kind of player you really felt good having on your team. As I told him, I always felt I could trust him. Sometimes that gets thrown around too much. Sometimes it’s not meant in the heartfelt way that it should. But with regard to this player - what you’re trying to do is amass a team of individuals that you have great faith and great trust in that they will prepare properly, they will keep their priorities in, that they will represent the franchise with honor and dignity and that they will step forward on game day and be the very best that they can be.

“And that’s what David Tyree, above and beyond, was able to give to this franchise.”

Coughlin on trading TE Mike Matthews to the Patriots: “Mike Matthews was very difficult for us to have to say goodbye to, because I have such respect for Mike and what he has done in his life and his family and what he represents - a try-hard guy that nobody gives a chance and he comes in and he’s the right man in the right place at the right time and wins a Super Bowl ring in his rookie year. I think about his toughness.”

Coughlin on cutting QB Andre’ Woodson and carrying only two QBs: “Andre’ Woodson, how far he has come as a player and as a young man in terms of the way he’s grown up and the way he has matured in his development and the quality of player that he is.

“I think you have to make a very difficult call when you decide to go with two. That roster spot can be utilized by a worthy player, a player that deserves to be on your team. We’ve found, as we go forward with 32 teams, that it’s very difficult later on to find a quality player, a guy that can come in and help if you need one. So you are much better off to try to protect those that you have that are currently on your squad that can play the game at a high level. You’re more inclined to try to do whatever you can to take care of your roster and keep as many good players as you can.”

Coughlin on undrafted CB Bruce Johnson outlasting two draft picks (Stoney Woodson, DeAndre Wright) to make the team: “He hung in there more than anything else. I think he kept getting a little bit better and a little bit better. He has the speed. To me, he needs to play more. He was a guy that was fairly consistent. All three of those young kids had the ball go over their head at some point during training camp. With Bruce, it might have happened once in that first preseason game. But he’s hung in there and battled.”

Coughlin on WR Sinorice Moss: “As you look at your team, you just try to keep the best players. Sometimes it’s not as balanced as you like. Nevertheless, you have to do it. It’s your responsibility to the franchise, really, to keep the best guys.”

Coughlin on WR Derek Hagan: “He is a good special teams player. He will put it on the line and he will play all those teams. He has outstanding endurance. He was very noticeable in the spring. At times he stuck out in training camp as a receiver. You combine his size with the ability he has as a special teams player, he certainly deserves his spot.”

Jersey number changes: WR Hakeem Nicks will switch from 18 to No. 88 … P Jeff Feagles goes from No. 17 back to No. 18 … DT Leger Douzable goes from No. 78 to No. 90, which was vacated by DE Robert Henderson

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/09/tyree-leaves-giants-with-mixed.html#ixzz0QHT61yYR

link

10 o-line and 7 wr on the final 53, too much of each imo. Koets, Whimper and Reyes id have at least one of them cut and Hagan shouldn't be in there i man he has shown **** all since we brought him in last year so keeping him over Tyree is a joke!

We have 3RB's and 3 Safeties. CC Brown is shit! So we have 2 safeties and are hoping for no injuries there it seems. OLB Gerris Wilkinson will most likely get cut once wifebeater Boley is activated from his suspension in week 2.

Where Will Super Bowl Hero David Tyree Land?

by

Kyle Langan

On Sept. 5, 2009, David Tyree's storied career with the New York Giants came to an end.

After being placed on injured reserve for the 2008 season, Tyree attempted to make a comeback in 2009.

Injuries and inconsistency plagued Tyree over the course of training camp, and the addition of two rookie receivers in Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden, along with Derek Hagan heightened the competition for the receiver position on New York's roster.

Though Tyree's career with The Giants has come to an end, his NFL career surely has not. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2005 as a special teams player and is a legitimate depth receiver. There are plenty of teams in need of such a player.

Here are some possible destinations for Tyree:

1. The New York Jets

Behind Chansi Stuckey and Jerricho Cotchery, The Jets don't have a lot of depth at receiver. David Clowney may have some potential, but has yet to prove much. Tyree would fill in nicely as a number three or four receiver in New York and form a dangerous tandem with Brad Smith on special teams coverage.

Besides, Tyree is a Montclair native and already has residence in North Jersey.

2. The Washington Redskins

A division rival of The Giants, The Redskins also lack depth at the receiver position They have Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly behind Santana Moss and Antwan Randel El, but Kelly and Thomas are inexperienced. They have a ton of talent and will definitely round out the top four receivers for this season and beyond, but behind them a good veteran presence would be nice for Washington, especially if that player can come through on special teams.

Tyree would be a good leader for the special teams and would contribute nicely to Washington's receiver depth.

3. The Baltimore Ravens

Similarly to Washington, behind their starting receivers Baltimore doesn't have much at the receiver position. Mason is really the only legitimate wide out Baltimore has. In Baltimore, Tyree would have the opportunity to compete for the number three of four position along with contributing on special teams, something that Baltimore always values. Being a good special teams player and a good veteran presence is something that The Raven organization always looks for.

4. The Kansas City Chiefs

As this off season demonstrated, The Chiefs are looking for veteran players to help them out. They recently brought in Toomer before cutting him, and have also brought in Mike Vrabel and Zach Thomas. Tyree is a very good veteran in a pass oriented offense who would bring a ton of special teams intensity.

Keep your ears open the next few days on this subject.

Though it pains me to acknowledge that Tyree could land in any of the aforementioned places, it is very possible. Division rivals love to scoop up each others players, and Tyree is also a good fit. It is tough to see such a warrior and inspiring presence leave your team.

Regardless of what the future holds, Tyree will forever hold a place in Giants lore.

link

How very true that last part is also!

Giants stockpiling WRs, trade coming?

Posted by Evan Silva on September 5, 2009 3:07 PM ET

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, tweets on Twitter that he's "hearing rumblings" about a possible Giants wide receiver trade.

The Jints made all their cuts and kept seven wideouts. There has been speculation that the Dolphins could be interested in Sinorice Moss.

In addition to Moss, rookies Ramses Barden and Hakeem Nicks, starters Domenik Hixon and Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, and Derek Hagan are the Giants' roster. Nicks finished out the preseason on fire and is pushing Hixon hard to be the team's starting split end. It will be interesting to see if Hixon is also on the trade block.

link

Perhaps the reason behind all the WR's, OL and LB's is to try and acquire a few draft picks.

Ramses Barden:

"Most kids grow up with some sort of athletic background, be it little league baseball, pee-wee football, AAU basketball or all the above. The vast majority of their athletic careers never materialize past high school due to the extremely competitive atmosphere of collegiate and professional athletics, while their love for sports and desire to participate continues to grow.

The NFL epitomizes the bond between those gifted enough to achieve professional excellence and those with an insatiable appreciation for football.

The New York Football Giants believe in the long-standing values of competition, integrity, courage and toughness and have afforded me an opportunity to partake in such a tradition. It's a great feeling to be part of an organization that knows how to win and has no tolerance for anything less.

I am excited to earn the trust and respect of my teammates and become part of this storied winning family. The Giants have one vision and I am honored to be part of a team that only settles for Super Bowl championships.

One Team - ONE GOAL!"

Â