Giants News

kkr

It's Time to Get Angry .

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.—On Mondays following a game, shortly after noon, Giants coach Tom Coughlin always addresses his team. Players never speak. But this Monday, one did. And Coughlin—the ostensible champion of chain of command—didn't stop veteran safety Antrel Rolle. Maybe because it was precisely what his team needed.

"I want no regrets," Rolle quietly said in the Giants locker room, explaining his unprecedented move. He's been wary of talking out of turn, he said, but on this Monday, after this 17-10, fightless loss to the rival Eagles, "there were things that needed to be said." And, most importantly, the Giants needed to hear it from one of their own.

They needed to hear that they were too calm Sunday night. That they came out flat. That they didn't take a late hit on quarterback Eli Manning personally, that they didn't match their intensity of previous weeks and that they, most heinously, Rolle said, let the Eagles take it to them.

"I really appreciate what 'Trel did," veteran receiver Michael Clayton said. "A leader on this team stood up and confronted the team about their toughness, their willingness to work and what football really is. It's just different coming from a player. A coach is not in the trenches with you. Your teammate is in the trenches with you."

There is, of course, a pecking order within any NFL team and most definitely one with the proudly old-school Giants. Rolle speaking up represents no rift with the coaching staff, nor any sign that the team is fraying. Just that these Giants, plainly, are at a crisis point.

From 6-2 and talk of being one of the league's top contenders, they've fallen to 6-4, with an unyieldingly brutal six-game schedule ahead of them and the prospect of a third straight postseason at home looming. The Cowboys—whom they have yet to face—are also 6-4, with a much easier slate ahead of them.

And so, even as Coughlin minced no words Sunday night in questioning his team's fire and then did the same Monday, Rolle said for the Giants to play to their potential, it is the players who need to be angry.

"In order for us to go where we want to go, things are definitely going to have to change," Rolle said.

The maddening part of the Giants' thus-far uneven season is that their troubles do seem to stem less from the spate of crucial injuries and more from what Rolle more simply termed attitude. Take Sunday: Manning took that ugly late hit, running back D.J. Ware was concussed on a vicious blindside hit and the Giants suffered the indignity of DeSean Jackson—who burned them on a walk-off punt return last year—taunting their sideline.

Receiver Hakeem Nicks worried after all that Sunday how the Eagles "were tougher than us." Defensive end Justin Tuck postulated Monday that the Giants may not play well as favorites. Center David Baas said the Giants were plain-old beaten up—and that there's no physical justification for that.

With a Monday night game at New Orleans next, and two days off now, Baas said he and his teammates "need to take a deep breath and realize that we have six games left and we need to be at our best. People need to self-reflect and understand that we are a really good team and we need to go out and establish that."

The team that beat the Patriots in New England two weeks ago was a good team. The team that put together five fourth-quarter comebacks was, too. The team that has dropped two straight and looks on the verge of yet another disappointing December, not so much.

This year is different, though, defensive tackle Chris Canty said. For as poorly as the Giants played yesterday, they still had the ball on the Eagles' 21-yard line, down one score, with 1:25 to play. Just like last week at San Francisco, when they had the ball on the 49ers' 10-yard line, down one score, with 1:24 to play.

"We still had an opportunity at the end of the game to win the football game, and I think that's one thing this team has that we didn't have last year or the year before since I've been here," Canty said. "Just that belief that no matter what happens, we still have an opportunity to win the game. We're still in the game. We're never out of the fight."

As long as they have the fight itself—and find a way to bring it out. Even mild-mannered kicker Lawrence Tynes, in referring to Rolle's speech, said, "I think we need a little renegade in us."

Coughlin has long been known as a strict, hierarchical coach. Last year, his first as a Giant, Rolle publicly chafed at what he perceived to be some of Coughlin's ways. Monday, Rolle talked about how that prompted him to "sit back and watch things" this year.

Until now. The 65-year old Coughlin has indeed relinquished bits of control to his players in various ways. He resurrected the self-styled Leadership Council, a group made up of team captains and a handful of other players. He introduced the practice of military-style, day-after-game debriefings, where the players review film and account for their miscues among themselves and without the presence of coaches. And Monday, he didn't stop the once-outspoken Rolle from once again speaking in what is by rule Coughlin's forum alone.

"You don't need all the details on what exactly was said, but it needed to be said at the end of the day," Rolle said. As for his teammates' response, he said, "I know they're with me. And we'll show it come Monday."

link

That hit on Eli really bothered me. Not only was it a cheap shot but our oline stood their and did **** all about it. Fags.

This is the worst oline i have ever seen as a Giants fan and that includes the likes of Petitgout who was a walking false start penalty, and that guy Bob something who just used to love headbutting people blatantly so that he got flagged.

A big win on Monday is the only way we stand a chance of doing anything this season. We have to go 1-1 in the next 2 games and then sweep Dallas. Beating one of NO off a bye week and GB off a Thursday night game the previous week is asking too much i fear though.

The losses to inferior teams such as Washington, Seattle and a depleted Philli are not on and will be the reason why we miss the playoffs imo and ultimately that kind of shit happens too much under TC for him to get away with it for another year of no post season play.

All our losses have come in the NFC also which puts us in a shitter of a position for tiebreakers also.

Right now i see 8-8 or 9-7 season which wont cut it. Most likely we are .500 going in to play Dallas who could already have a 2 game lead by that point. That being said if we lose the next 2 then run the table i think we would get in.

If both us and Dallas finish 11-5 (not going to happen) then Dallas would win the division regardless.

Us, Bears with no Jay Cutler, Lions with Matt Staffords injured middle finger on his throwing hand and the Falcons for the wildcard it seems though so then if Philli can push on now they might fancy themselves still and knock off the Cowboys along the way. We can but hope.

You were right! Shocking from the defense! That being said we didnt manage a first half TD again, *cough* Killdrive *cough* which is just not on either.

If we had a middling D and a middling run game we would be a contender. The New York Football Giants are dead last in running the ball. Unacceptable.

Do we have to wait until the season has been completely blown before we make some changes to the online!? Lets put Petrus in there at LG, and dump Baas who is an overpaid worthless scrub. Put Boothe in at centre. Stick Diehl at LT until the end of the season then dump him and Beatty also.

FWIW: My two cents on this team right now

Joey in VA : 1:15 am

Without getting too in depth here, this defense has no faith in its coordinator. We are in week 12 of the season and players have no idea where to lineup. I realize Boley is out, on top of the other losses, Osi is dinged, Tuck is halfway to IR, Rolle is playing CB and we have rookies littering the middle of the field with missed assignments but this defense is 100% lost 3/4 of the way through the season.

I hate to be the coordinator hater, but Perry Fewell has absolutely lost this team on defense and its evident in their body language and confusion play in and play out. WHen you don't have faith in your game plan, you play tentatively, almost afraid that what your coach saw may not be what you saw. His plan is most likely too complicated and overwrought with complications when professionals paid to do a job cannot figure out where to lineup on workday #7 of a week.

This is mostly a gut thing I see in the guys, and I know quantifying mood or emotion is foolhardy but I've played under people who seemed overmatched and you don't buy into their philosophy when you what you see on tape is NOT what you are told on the field.

His overthinking and timid approach to pressure (please please please read a book on A and B gap pressures and stop trying to blitz off the edge all day when you have 3 pro bowl caliber DEs) is killing this defense. When you see guys not lining up properly and looking confused it is 100% on the man in charge of the defense.

As a player you trust what you see and you execute as asked but when you see something that the opponent does that you KNOW will beat you, it just deflates you and you play with that listless look the Giants have had for weeks now. Leaders like Justin Tuck and Corey Webster are looking lost, completely lost and that speaks to their lack of confidence in what they are being asked to do.

I won't sit here and claim to know the scheme we should run or what our talent dictates, but I know full well that trying to pressure a 6-0 QB with a rocket release and speed to burn at WR/RB on the edges is just sheer stupidity. You put your 6-7 and 6-5 DTs in his face and you fire in the A gaps all night long and keep him off balance. You don't blitz Kenny Phillips in the 7 or 8 hole, you don't delay blitz a LB on a loop or a stunt with a DE going wide, you force the issue and you force the offense to contend with you.

Fewell is a timid DC who plays on the edges trying like hell to contain everything and not give up the big play but he does not have the LBs or Safeties to pull that off. What he has is a front four and speed at LB that can make a QBs life hell between the center and guard and he chooses to run wide and pressure from the edge which almost never gets home.

Don't start your best DE at DT as a gimmick, let him come in later in a drive, fresh like Tuck did in his early years and wear down the interior OL. You don't bang a DE into 330lb guards all day and assume it will work.

Fewell is quite simply overmatched and over thinking his defense to the point that players are not only confused but seemingly without faith in their play calls and without faith in each other. Players are smarter than we want to give credit for, they have a clue what will work and it is clear that this group no longer trusts Fewell to select a sound game plan and it is woefully evident in their play.

Go find 10 DCs in teh NFL and lend them Tuck, Osi, JPP, Canty, Joseph, Bernard, Webster, Ross, Rolle, Kiwi, Phillips and see how happy you'd make them. You wouldn't rush 3 and drop 8, you wouldn't start DEs at DT, you'd find a base that works and you punish the offense from guard to guard until they were forced to max protect or their QB flubbed the game away. Perry Fewell is coaching scared and over thinking and despite our injuries he has plenty of talent and no **** idea what to do with it.

A great post from over on BBI. Sums up my feelings exactly.

Will Beatty to IR. So thats our starting LT, CB and MLB all missing for the season. Nice.

Herzlich is in a boot and Osi's high ankle sprain could be a 4 week deal. Awesome.

On the upside Strahan has been in to rally the troops, sad that we have to rely on this guy still. Makes you appreciate how much of a top bloke and leader of this franchise he really was. Most of our d now arent fit to lace his boots, he is first ballot HOF imo and no one on the team at present is even close to being as productive as he was and as much of a force as he was. My all time favourite Giants (bviously LT was before my time) and i will be rocking his jersey for the remainder of the season out of respect.

Redskins are coming up on the rails boys!!!

;)

If we can beat Dallas in two weeks time then you boys will be on the end of one hell of a pounding for sure.

Probably :) although Santana Moss is back and the OL is stronger after injuries. Helu is looking the part in backfield too. The defence is keeping us in games too, just hope the offense carries on improving.

If Victor Cruz goes for 53 yards today he will surpass 1000 yards receiving in what is essentially his rookie year after being sent to IR and not playing in any games last year.

With 100+ yards today, Cruz would find himself in 11th place on the Giants all time single season receiving total leader board. 1343 is his target for #1.

Brandon Jacobs needs 41 yards to surpass Alex Webster for 4th place on the Giants all time rushing leader board. Alex Webster will be inducted into the Giants ring of honour at half time along with Mark Bavaro also.

Jacobs also needs 2TD's to tie Tiki Barber at 55 for the most rushing TD's in giants history.

D not great, but alot of GBs plays were unstoppable due to either officials giving them from DPI calls or just amazing catches. Very pleased with the offense, inparticular running game.

Shame it was basically the same as the Baltimore/New England a few years back where the league were desperate to keep them undefeated, otherwise we'd have picked up the W without question.

Way too many questionable calls by the officials. We played well offensively and better defensively but we were never going to stop Green Bay. If the D plays like that next week then we will have a great chance to beat Dallas.

369 yards for Eli to surpass the Giants single season passing yardage record.

Victor Cruz has 1076 receiving yards, good for 11th all time on the Giants single season receiving leader board.

Jacobs 59 yards rushing move him to 4697 on his career and into 4th all time on Giants rushing leader board. He needs 600 yards to move into 3rd place.

Plus points from today -

- Eli, nothing to say, we all saw it.

- Nicks, way to show you are a legit #1

- JPP, all hustle all the time

- Petrus and Boothe, one plays center at the last minute, and the other a 1st career start. And they played well

- Cruz, the legend grows

- Ballard, he should have been given a TD

- Jacobs & Bradshaw, best they looked all year

- Bekum, where has that been for three years?

- Chase Blackburn in off the street and played great starting at MLB. I believe him and Boley if they can stay healthy will help us big time over the coming weeks.

Impressed with Petrus today. Baas has been a bust, drop him for Boothe permanently and keep Petrus in there at LG. That was as good as the OL has looked all year.

@ Dallas, vs Washington, @ New York and vs Dallas.

Dallas has:

vs New York, @ Tampa, vs Philli, @ New York.

9-7 could take it still. If we win this week then i think we win out. Massive game.

Â