Six minutes for Arthur

hippo

On 03/12/2021 at 19:37, samjp26 said:

I strongly believe that God is our judge, however things like this.. there is no reformation, no place on earth for such scumbags. That poor lad is the same age as mine, absolutely vile. Hopefully they get their comeuppance from their fellow inmates.  

I do not wish to tell anyone what to think - but for me these killers will spend the rest of their lives in certain pain at the hands of others intent on inflicting revenge and I see no point in that - why should what happened create more pain - I'm for the simple choice of ending the lives of these people and moving on - there is no justice here, there cannot be any. 

Possibly unpopular thoughts here:

• Six minutes for Arthur? I can't help but be reminded of "thoughts and prayers". While it is not for me to tell anyone how grieve, I would suggest (if we really care) go help in the community or somehow help an organization that supports parents that are struggling or mentally ill.
  • Perhaps under very different circumstances, say mental illness  or some such each and everyone of us are capable of incredibly stupid and callous behaviour.  In terms of punishment, here we are unlikely to deter anyone (others), we are not going to restore what was lost, I suspect it is unlikely the parents can be "fixed" to return a healthy existence and all that we can do is contain them so that their behaviours  cannot be repeated.
  • Thoughts of revenge are simply a reflection of our lack of understanding of how the universe ticks. And that too is OK.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Possibly unpopular thoughts here:

• Six minutes for Arthur? I can't help but be reminded of "thoughts and prayers". While it is not for me to tell anyone how grieve, I would suggest (if we really care) go help in the community or somehow help an organization that supports parents that are struggling or mentally ill.
  • Perhaps under very different circumstances, say mental illness  or some such each and everyone of us are capable of incredibly stupid and callous behaviour.  In terms of punishment, here we are unlikely to deter anyone (others), we are not going to restore what was lost, I suspect it is unlikely the parents can be "fixed" to return a healthy existence and all that we can do is contain them so that their behaviours  cannot be repeated.
  • Thoughts of revenge are simply a reflection of our lack of understanding of how the universe ticks. And that too is OK.

I certainly hope I have taken this out of context and your not trying to justify the killing of Arthur with mental health!

I think the message on todays gesture of support is clear. 

I'm going to lock this thread as it's about that message rather than the sad events themselves - if you'd like to discuss the case itself, please do so in off topic.

Thank you.

• Like 1