Baseball 2022

El Zen

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Well, the Yanks have been hot garbage since the ASB. The Division title that looked as good as sealed by trade deadline day is suddenly in danger, even. 

Though, to be fair, they’ve been severely depleted by injuries. The line up they’ve ran out for GM1 of today’s dh with the Twins is essentially their AAA team plus Aaron Judge. I mean, ever heard of Ronald Guzman, Oswald Peraza, Oswaldo Cabrera and Estevan Florial? No? Well, they’re all starting for the AL East leading, WS contending Bronx Bombers tonight. 

‘Plus Aaron Judge’ kind of helps, though. Guy just hit his 55th HR of the season today, staying ahead of the pace to beat Roger Maris’ 61 year old AL record (and obviously NYY franchise record) of 61 dingers. 

Judge simply scary. Yankees have some problems. But still a month from playoffs. 

In terms of play off races, we have a couple of tasty ones. The Braves suddenly have a chance of catching the much heralded Mets in the NL East, while the White Sox are chasing Cleveland in a very weak AL Central. Such is the nature of divisional qualifying for play offs, that neither CWS or CLE stand a chance in the Wild Card race against the second and third placed teams in the East and the West, but one of them will still bypass three much better teams in the post season. The Orioles, currently a distant fourth in the East, only have a marginally weaker record than the AL Central leading Guardians. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, El Zen said:

In terms of play off races, we have a couple of tasty ones. The Braves suddenly have a chance of catching the much heralded Mets in the NL East, while the White Sox are chasing Cleveland in a very weak AL Central. Such is the nature of divisional qualifying for play offs, that neither CWS or CLE stand a chance in the Wild Card race against the second and third placed teams in the East and the West, but one of them will still bypass three much better teams in the post season. The Orioles, currently a distant fourth in the East, only have a marginally weaker record than the AL Central leading Guardians. 

When I was little, the American (and National) Leagues were just one division and the winner went to the world series. Making the World Series a much more exotic and blockbuster event than nowadays. Even shitty .500 teams can get hot and win it all.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Just now, maqroll said:

When I was little, the American (and National) Leagues were just one division and the winner went to the world series. Making the World Series a much more exotic and blockbuster event than nowadays. Even shifty. 500 teams can get hot and win it all.

How it should be. Three wild cards per league is a joke. I could live with division winners and one WC, which is what I grew up on. The current format is terrible. 

Meanwhile, a resurgent Albert Pujols is closing in on 700 dingers in this, his final season. What a finish to one of the sport’s most illustrious careers. Just three more to go. Not bad for a 13th rounder (402nd overall.) 

• Like 1

Judge now at 57 with 19 games to go. He’s the runaway league leader in HR and RBI, but also joint third in AVG (trailing Luis Arraez by .10 points) making him a legitimate and highly unexpected Triple Crown candidate. Not only should he be the AL MVP, it should be unanimous. 

Judge up to 59 dingers now. And hitting .316 (.01 behind the AL lead.) 

We’re witnessing one of the most remarkable seasons any player in MLB history has ever had. Shohei Ohtani would arguably be a shoe in for MVP* any other year with the season he’s having on both sides of the ball, but if Judge gets 62+ and the Triple Crown, Ohtani shouldn’t get a single first place vote. 

*The Angels sucking might have lost him a couple of votes anyway.

#60 by #99

Also now leads the race for the AL batting title (.01 ahead of Bogaerts), on his way to the Triple Crown. 

And the dude is a free agent after the season. Dude is gonna get paid! 😬

• 2 weeks later...

So Judge finally set a new AL record with his 62nd HR last night. His chase for the all time record has probably cost him the Triple Crown, though, as opposing pitchers haven’t really pitched to him at all for the past week, and he’s kind of been pressing a little bit. Luis Arraez leads him by four points, and AJ would have to go 4-4 in the final game to have a chance at the batting title, if he even plays. 

Predictions, @maqroll

I think the Yanks will beat Cleveland and the Astros will beat Seattle. Houston win the ALCS in 7. 

Braves will beat St. Louis, Dodgers will beat the Mets. Dodgers win the NLCS in 6. 

Dodgers win the WS in 6. 

(WC series winners implied.) 

4 hours ago, El Zen said:

Predictions, @maqroll

I think the Yanks will beat Cleveland and the Astros will beat Seattle. Houston win the ALCS in 7. 

Braves will beat St. Louis, Dodgers will beat the Mets. Dodgers win the NLCS in 6. 

Dodgers win the WS in 6. 

(WC series winners implied.) 

I actually agree with all of your predictions. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I actually agree with all of your predictions. 

I guess they’re bound to be wrong then, when two idiots like us agree. 

Congratulations to Tampa Bay on beating San Diego in the Fall Classic. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hornso said:

I thought that might get a reaction. Sorry El Zen! If they succeed, you're the only one I'll have some joy for ;)

No worries, buddy. Thanks 😘

• Haha 1

Padres - Mets the only WC series to need a game 3 (tonight.) Seattle, Cleveland and Philly all win in two. 

Philly winning is surprising, and noteworthy as it spells the end of Albert Pujols’ and Yadi Molina’s careers. Cooperstown next! 

Seattle’s 10-9 win at Toronto is noteworthy for being the second biggest comeback (seven runs) in a playoff game. Ever. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

Â