Baseball 2022

El Zen

On 02/05/2022 at 05:03, maqroll said:

Boston in a tailspin

And the Yanks have won 10 in a row. 

That won’t last, but hey. Gotta enjoy it while you can, and they’re doing better than I expected them to.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2022 at 05:03, maqroll said:

Boston in a tailspin

Yikes. Another rough loss. Don’t watch Boston games other than obviously when they play the Yanks, so can’t comment on what the issue seems to be, but 9 games behind in the loss column already is a bad look. Trust the streaky Yankees to start dropping games again now that the win-streak snapped, though. 

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Yikes. Another rough loss. Don’t watch Boston games other than obviously when they play the Yanks, so can’t comment on what the issue seems to be, but 9 games behind in the loss column already is a bad look. Trust the streaky Yankees to start dropping games again now that the win-streak snapped, though. 

Devers and Story are scuffing, Xander doesn't quite have his power stroke, Dalbec can't hit, Martinez struggling, bullpen is a calamity. 

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Devers and Story are scuffing, Xander doesn't quite have his power stroke, Dalbec can't hit, Martinez struggling, bullpen is a calamity. 

Yeah, I read somewhere that your runs per game is pretty dismal.

I see Tanner Houck gave up 7ER in 2.1 innings of relief today. Seems strange not to pull a reliever before he has the chance to give up seven runs. 

Edit: Just had a glance at the OPS stats for today’s line up. Bogaerts and Martinez are pretty good all in all. The rest are underperforming. Story is underperforming badly (missing Coors much?) and, yeah, Dalbec… Ouch. You’ve got to think Devers, Verdugo and probably Story will heat up a bit though. 

Edited by El Zen

I really don’t mean to rub it in at all, but I’m frankly shocked by Boston’s start to the season. I figured, and that could still happen of course with so much baseball yet to play, that the Yankees and Red Sox would battle it out behind Toronto and probably Tampa Bay too for a WC spot. But Boston are currently a whooping 12 games behind in the loss column and tied with the Nats for the third worst record in the Majors.

Their team is better than that. And Alex Cora is a better manager than that. 

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

I really don’t mean to rub it in at all, but I’m frankly shocked by Boston’s start to the season. I figured, and that could still happen of course with so much baseball yet to play, that the Yankees and Red Sox would battle it out behind Toronto and probably Tampa Bay too for a WC spot. But Boston are currently a whooping 12 games behind in the loss column and tied with the Nats for the third worst record in the Majors.

Their team is better than that. And Alex Cora is a better manager than that. 

Another loss today. Just no offense. 

21 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its a bit of  a shame that youtube have stopped showing the mlb game of the week this season.

I have my MLB.com yearly subscription so makes no difference to me (no blackouts apply, obviously) but from what I’m reading, TV rights is becoming a bit of a pain for ordinary fans who want to watch every game, with both Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime picking up rights for individual games. 

Angels rookie starting pitcher Reid Detmers tossed a no-no vs. Tampa Bay last night. That’s pretty cool. 

And he only struck out two batters over nine innings 😳

Edited by El Zen

On 09/05/2022 at 15:24, The Fun Factory said:

Its a bit of  a shame that youtube have stopped showing the mlb game of the week this season.

I think there’s a game on YouTube tonight, btw. Brewers-Reds or something.

• Thanks 1

Now, NYY LHSP Nestor Cortes deserves a shout out in this thread. What a season he’s having so far, and really you can add big chunks of last season to that as well.

Season stats: 1.35 ERA; 0,85 WHIP; 11,03 K/9. Those are undisputed CYA numbers if he can keep it up. 

This from a guy who was a very late round draft pick and has been a bit of a journeyman early in his career, bouncing around the league struggling to land a regular job. He doesn’t throw the ball very hard at all and looks physically unimposing, but he’s pitching the heck out of the American League right now and it’s a joy to watch. 

Meanwhile, the hapless Cincinatti Reds threw a combined no hitter last night and still lost 1-0 to to the Pirates. 

Â