Baseball 2022

El Zen

The Orioles are finally calling up baseball’s #1 prospect Adley Rutschman (C) ahead of tonight’s game. I feel like I’ve been hearing about this wonderkid for ages, so I’m excited to see if he can live up to the hype.

I’ve written about Boston’s troubles a lot in this thread, so I feel obligated to mention they have now gone six in a row and not too far off .500.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Maddon was fired by the Angels the other day after a 12 game losing streak. The Angels lost the next game too. 

Just before that, Joe Girardi was fired by the Phillies. 

Both replaced by interim managers from their own coaching staff, Phil Nevin and Rob Thompson respectively. 

Meanwhile, the Yanks are still red hot. On pace to win 117 games, behind some truly elite starting pitching. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

That's a brave call to fire Maddon. 

Yeah, absolutely. But maybe he is kind of past it? I mean, how can a team with both Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani in it be so bad? 

Giancarlo Stanton hit a home run last night with an exit velocity of 120 mph (!) that hit an ad board on the left field second deck and bounced back out in the outfield.

Say what you want about the short porch in right, but left field in YS is hardly left field in Fenway - bouncing a homer off the second deck so hard it comes back on the field really shouldn’t be possible. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2022 at 03:36, El Zen said:

Giancarlo Stanton hit a home run last night with an exit velocity of 120 mph (!) that hit an ad board on the left field second deck and bounced back out in the outfield.

Say what you want about the short porch in right, but left field in YS is hardly left field in Fenway - bouncing a homer off the second deck so hard it comes back on the field really shouldn’t be possible. 

If he and Judge can stay healthy, the rest of the division don't stand a chance.

On 22/06/2022 at 16:26, maqroll said:

If he and Judge can stay healthy, the rest of the division don't stand a chance.

If Judge stays healthy, he’ll be hard to beat for AL MVP, I’ll tell you that much. 

• 3 weeks later...

It’s draft o’clock in baseball, and this years class is making some history. 4 out of the first 5 picks are black, and several early picks are sons of former (and recent!) big leaguers. Matt Holliday’s son went first overall, with Andruw Jones’ and Carl Crawford’s boys going early as well. The Yankees picked someone they’re hoping to be the next Aaron Judge - 6’7 LHH OF Spencer Jones out of Vanderbilt. 

In other news, you have to feel a little bit sorry for Chris Sale, who’s struggled massively with injuries over the past couple of seasons, and in only his second start back took a liner off his pitching hand in the first inning and broke his pinky. 

On a more positive note, Matt Carpenter’s fairytale story with the Yankees deserves a mention. Released by the Rangers early on, he was sitting at home thinking his baseball career might be over, before the Yanks called, signed him to a deal, gave him a bat, and boom, he’s been one of the most productive hitters in baseball. Incredible. And he’s rocking the best ‘stache in all of sports.

17 hours ago, maqroll said:

Montas to the Yanks..that's a great move for them. 

Talking about big moves…

Padres just emptied their farm and then some to get Soto (and Josh Bell) from the Nats. They better make it to the Fall Classic this year or next! 

Machado-Tatis jr-Soto is one hell of a trio, though. 

• Like 1

The Cardinals send out a relief pitcher with the name Packy Naughton. Tell me you’re from Boston without saying you’re from Boston. 

Sure enough, turns out the f***er’s from Boston 😅

• Haha 3

On 18/07/2022 at 11:04, El Zen said:

In other news, you have to feel a little bit sorry for Chris Sale, who’s struggled massively with injuries over the past couple of seasons, and in only his second start back took a liner off his pitching hand in the first inning and broke his pinky. 

On a more positive note, Matt Carpenter’s fairytale story with the Yankees deserves a mention. Released by the Rangers early on, he was sitting at home thinking his baseball career might be over, before the Yanks called, signed him to a deal, gave him a bat, and boom, he’s been one of the most productive hitters in baseball. Incredible. And he’s rocking the best ‘stache in all of sports.

Double jinx!

Sale has only gone and fractured his wrist while biking and is done for the year, while Carpenter broke his foot fouling off a ball last night (he hopes to be back before the end of the season, however.) 

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the Yanks have been hot garbage since the ASB. The Division title that looked as good as sealed by trade deadline day is suddenly in danger, even. 

Though, to be fair, they’ve been severely depleted by injuries. The line up they’ve ran out for GM1 of today’s dh with the Twins is essentially their AAA team plus Aaron Judge. I mean, ever heard of Ronald Guzman, Oswald Peraza, Oswaldo Cabrera and Estevan Florial? No? Well, they’re all starting for the AL East leading, WS contending Bronx Bombers tonight. 

‘Plus Aaron Judge’ kind of helps, though. Guy just hit his 55th HR of the season today, staying ahead of the pace to beat Roger Maris’ 61 year old AL record (and obviously NYY franchise record) of 61 dingers. 

On 07/08/2022 at 18:14, El Zen said:

The Cardinals send out a relief pitcher with the name Packy Naughton. Tell me you’re from Boston without saying you’re from Boston. 

Sure enough, turns out the f***er’s from Boston 😅

Strange his parents named him Packy. "Packie" in Boston slang means liquor store.

Â