Age and the future

Pelle

i've been thinking about our players ages and that we have a very young squad, especially the starting 11.

1 Tom Heaton  34

12 Jed Steer  28

26 Emiliano Martinez 28

28 Lovre Kalinic  30

2 Matty Cash  23

3 Neil Taylor  31

4 Ezri Konsa  22

5 Tyrone Mings  27

18 Matthew Targett  25

22 Björn Engels  26

24 Frédéric Guilbert  26

27 Ahmed El Mohamady 33

30 Kortney Hause  25

6 Douglas Luiz  22

7 John McGinn  26

8 Henri Lansbury  30

10 Jack Grealish  25

14 Conor Hourihane  29

17 Trézéguet  26

19 Marvelous Nakamba  26

20 Ross Barkley  26

21 Anwar El Ghazi  25

41 Jacob Ramsey  19

9 Wesley  24

11 Ollie Watkins  24

15 Bertrand Traoré  25

36 Indiana Vassilev  19

39 Keinan Davis  22

That gives 5 players in the whole squad who's 30 or older and a medium age of 26.

In the most used starting 11 there's no player who's 30+, Martinez being the oldest at 28, and a medium age of 25.

I wonder if we've had such a young squad ever since the PL started. And with that in mind and how good this season has started it's quite encouraging to think about our future. If we can keep the core of this sqaud and build on it steady, then in a couple of years we should be able to compete about the CL spots and even the title. But to do that I think the most important thing is to keep Jack, Douglas Luiz, Martinez, Barkley and Konsa, in that order. These 5 are IMO the most talented players we have and a very solid foundation to build our future on. Keep them and get players around them of similar talent and we're half way there.

In other words, the future looks bright atm.

• Like 1

We could keep the starters together for 4 years and not need to consider changing one of them. 

That's an exciting prospect.  We can add and build as we see fit merely to improve instead of standing still, Barkley aside. 

• Like 2

I was thinking about this recently, if we can keep the core of this group together can you imagine how good they’ll be as they develop together. I mean we’re pretty damn good now after very little time. Three years from now most of this team/squad will be coming into their prime after having played together for years. We’ll have upgraded key positions but should still have that continuity running through. It’s hard to not get excited by that prospect, title challenge? I don’t see why not. 

1 hour ago, Pelle said:

i've been thinking about our players ages and that we have a very young squad, especially the starting 11.

1 Tom Heaton  34

12 Jed Steer  28

26 Emiliano Martinez 28

28 Lovre Kalinic  30

2 Matty Cash  23

3 Neil Taylor  31

4 Ezri Konsa  22

5 Tyrone Mings  27

18 Matthew Targett  25

22 Björn Engels  26

24 Frédéric Guilbert  26

27 Ahmed El Mohamady 33

30 Kortney Hause  25

6 Douglas Luiz  22

7 John McGinn  26

8 Henri Lansbury  30

10 Jack Grealish  25

14 Conor Hourihane  29

17 Trézéguet  26

19 Marvelous Nakamba  26

20 Ross Barkley  26

21 Anwar El Ghazi  25

41 Jacob Ramsey  19

9 Wesley  24

11 Ollie Watkins  24

15 Bertrand Traoré  25

36 Indiana Vassilev  19

39 Keinan Davis  22

That gives 5 players in the whole squad who's 30 or older and a medium age of 26.

In the most used starting 11 there's no player who's 30+, Martinez being the oldest at 28, and a medium age of 25.

I wonder if we've had such a young squad ever since the PL started. And with that in mind and how good this season has started it's quite encouraging to think about our future. If we can keep the core of this sqaud and build on it steady, then in a couple of years we should be able to compete about the CL spots and even the title. But to do that I think the most important thing is to keep Jack, Douglas Luiz, Martinez, Barkley and Konsa, in that order. These 5 are IMO the most talented players we have and a very solid foundation to build our future on. Keep them and get players around them of similar talent and we're half way there.

In other words, the future looks bright atm.

I think the age of c 25 with so many players helps the team spirit and camaraderie....I think it is spooky the togetherness has emerged....I'm sure Dean is aware of it and has nurtured it.

It galvanises that central mentality of winning, with all your mates.

19 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

There's never been a Villa squad where every player is younger than me. Heaton is the only one keeping this true at the moment.

matt damon waiting GIF

Whelan, Jed and Hutton all leaving at the same time ended that for me 😭

• Sad 1

Â