Building a Website

Sam-AVFC

Can anyone recommend a good tool to build a website myself? I've found various online lists that put Wix up the top. I've also spoken to a friend who uses SquareSpace and finds it pretty easy to get your head round, though he had someone else build his website and only updates menus etc online so what he is finding easy is basically typing.

I'll be building it myself and would like to be able to add features where clients can login in to see a map of their projects and ideally with data fields automatically updating based on spreadsheets. 

I've got a bit of time to do it so am more than happy to use something that has a bit more of a learning curve if it will ultimately be superior.

Thanks!

Edited by Sam-AVFC

Google Sites might actually be a better fit (not as pretty though), but if you have such a precise requirement, you should probably take a free trial on each and see if they can do what you need.

I recommend Squarespace over Wix based on how many people ask me for help after they choose one.

• Thanks 1

On 13/07/2020 at 18:31, Sam-AVFC said:

Can anyone recommend a good tool to build a website myself? I've found various online lists that put Wix up the top. I've also spoken to a friend who uses SquareSpace and finds it pretty easy to get your head round, though he had someone else build his website and only updates menus etc online so what he is finding easy is basically typing.

I'll be building it myself and would like to be able to add features where clients can login in to see a map of their projects and ideally with data fields automatically updating based on spreadsheets. 

I've got a bit of time to do it so am more than happy to use something that has a bit more of a learning curve if it will ultimately be superior.

Thanks!

My pennies worth... I suggested an old client of mine use WIX for their website, they wanted to do much the same as you, client login area, map view with place markers to show where they were working, no backend data as such though. They decided to go and roll their own, 3 years on and AFAIK they are still using their ancient static website.

I've done my fair share of websites - can't say I've ever enjoyed doing them! Anything that you can use to help with building the UI will save you loads of time! I worked for years doing backend (oo-errr) stuff, so primarily I was designing and building things for websites to talk to or run on.

• Thanks 1

Cheers all. Currently stuck at the hurdle of choosing a name before I crack on with the logo and website. 

To be honest I don't mind too much if I have to manually update details as and when as per project it will only be ~5 times a year. I just want to make sure as few existing clients are possible are having to ring for info as it will just be me for the foreseeable future. 

Â