Ron Wylie

John

42 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Who was he assistant to in the 90s ? I remember him vividly, how time flys. 

Graham Turner was manager.

He left the Albion and returned to us in 1985/86 taking  over the youth team from Brian Little.

Ron was also assistant to Vic Crowe in the early 70s and played his part in the club's resurgence back then. Wembley in 71 and going up from Division 3 as champions, the following season gave us our pride back, as well as a taste of the success that was to come in the next ten years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

Ron was also assistant to Vic Crowe in the early 70s and played his part in the club's resurgence back then. Wembley in 71 and going up from Division 3 as champions, the following season gave us our pride back, as well as a taste of the success that was to come in the next ten years.

Vic actually left Ron Saunders some good young kids.....they did a decent job.

• Like 1

On 16/04/2020 at 14:16, TRO said:

Vic actually left Ron Saunders some good young kids.....they did a decent job.

sorry to say I didn't know he was still alive, yes remember him as assistant to Vic Crowe RIP.  We had the FA Youth cup team of 72 with Brian Little, John Gidman, Jake Findlay, Bobby Mac, Jimmy Brown. Not sure if Steve Hunt was in that side too! Yes some good young players for Ron to manage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, PaulC said:

sorry to say I didn't know he was still alive, yes remember him as assistant to Vic Crowe RIP.  We had the FA Youth cup team of 72 with Brian Little, John Gidman, Jake Findlay, Bobby Mac, Jimmy Brown. Not sure if Steve Hunt was in that side too! Yes some good young players for Ron to manage. 

Bit early for Steve I think. It was some final, 1-0 at Villa Park and then a 4-2 at Anfield in the second leg....Phil Thompson must still have nightmares about that night. ;)  Knocked out Trevor Francis and the rest of the young Noses on the road to the final as well. Happy Days!  

2 hours ago, John said:

Bit early for Steve I think. It was some final, 1-0 at Villa Park and then a 4-2 at Anfield in the second leg....Phil Thompson must still have nightmares about that night. ;)  Knocked out Trevor Francis and the rest of the young Noses on the road to the final as well. Happy Days!  

20 odd thousand used to turn up for those youth games 

• Like 1

Â