Baseball

ianrobo1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I've always not been 100% sure with: In getting outs, how come sometimes a player will try and tag a runner when it would be easier to put his foot on the base? Are you only allowed to get a runner out by touching base if he's forced to run or something?

Something I've always not been 100% sure with: In getting outs, how come sometimes a player will try and tag a runner when it would be easier to put his foot on the base? Are you only allowed to get a runner out by touching base if he's forced to run or something?

If it's what's called a "force", you need only step on the base. For example, if you're a runner on first and there is a ground ball, you have to run to second. Therefore the fielder need only step on second base for you to be out.

But if you are on second base (and there is no one on first), then it is not a force (that is, you can stay at second if you wish, or try to advance to third, your choice). In that case, the fielder must tag you out with the ball.

If it's what's called a "force", you need only step on the base. For example, if you're a runner on first and there is a ground ball, you have to run to second. Therefore the fielder need only step on second base for you to be out.

But if you are on second base (and there is no one on first), then it is not a force (that is, you can stay at second if you wish, or try to advance to third, your choice). In that case, the fielder must tag you out with the ball.

Ah, I thought so. Cheers. :thumb:

Sox 5-0 down, top of the 8th.

We've played two games of the ALCS and the Yankees have taken the first two in their new house. Last night was a marathon night in the Bronx, going 13 innings and over five hours before pinch hitter Jerry Hairston Jr scored on an Angels fielding error to give the Bombers a 4-3 walk off win. Alex Rodriguez has suddenly become the king of october, and homered again last night to save Ney York in the 11th with a solo shot.

The game finished at about 7.15 AM Norwegian time, and I struggled heavily to stay awake. It was painful, but worth it in the end.

Can someone who knows the rules of baseball pretty well answer a question for me?

I noticed this happen from both Yankees and Angels last night where the pitcher just threw a very soft pitch not aiming at the batsman where the catcher stood a yard left out of his area to catch, and this went on for 4 pitches then the batsman just strolled to first base, what the hell is all that about?

Â