Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

I'd be surprised if we sacked her now

And the club have kind of left themselves in a position, where even if we have a poor second half to the season, sacking her at the end of that, to most would seem harsh, because of the state the squad has been in after the transfer window, to do anything with what she's been left with would take a near miracle, and a lot of luck in terms of no more players getting injured, and to make it worse it was left in that state just as we were improving and it looked like making something of this season might be possible

That said I have been wondering if she might leave of her own accord at the end of the season

• Like 2

Rangers seem to have a few decent youngsters, I wonder if we will consider any of them whilst watching McLoughlin, Kirsty Maclean seems to be a standout, only eighteen, fourteen assists and four goals in the league, full Scoltand international, with Bindkilde gone and Nobbs coming to the end of her contract, we will need one or two creative midfielders

Edited by useless

The following statement was released by the FA on Wednesday morning:

Rachel Daly has been suspended for three matches following Aston Villa Women’s game against Bristol City Women in the Women’s Super League on Saturday, 3 February.

Her behaviour during the 39th minute wasn’t seen by the match officials at the time, but it was caught on camera, and The FA alleged that it constitutes violent conduct.

Rachel Daly subsequently admitted this charge and accepted the automatic penalty for violent conduct.

The three-game suspension will rule Rachel out of fixtures against Brighton & Hove Albion, Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool.

I'm going to hide in a corner and scream

Edited by wishywashy

This season everything that can go wrong, seems to be going wrong, although with this she admits it so I guess can't complain too much, but referee was looking straight at the incident at the time and did nothing, and I bet if you were to go through footage of all WSL games you will find many incidences like this that go unpunished

She's basically going to miss our three most important games of the season, a chance to reach a semi-final, and the Spurs and LIverpool games are our last chance really of closing the gap on them and giving ourselves any hope of a top six or five finish.

Tonight we only have thirteen first team players available, possibly fifteen if Sophia Poor and Danielle Turner are fit enough to take part

I'm baffled by this.

So do the FA review every single game to see if there are any instances of foul play that the referee missed so they can issue what is essentially a post-match straight red?

This happened right in front of the ref, so how can they say it was missed? No Bristol player seemed to complain at the time. The player complains to the ref, who then seems to speak to Daly after the player gets up. The ref seems to be speaking into her mic, so assume she is conversing with the official running the line, who clearly didn't see it either otherwise the red card would have been shown.

Has a complaint been made post match?

The problem is, she can't justify raising her arm to shrug off the player who is clearly pushing her in the back. It's an elbow.

Edited by Villanbee

Prob should be level, pretty even.  Can’t decide if that’s poor keeping, seen it late or deceived, gut is she should have got that.

Magill should have scored, other than that not created much (or given many chances away), ball retention and decision making poor again - noticeably you can hear the Brighton coaching - not much from us.

Would take off Magill and put Mullett up top with Salmon

Edited by MattVillaPortsmouth

I thought that was poor form us, can barely string more than a few passes together, had a few okay moments but all too brief, also yet again their goal came from us cheaply giving the ball away, only real positives are Nobbs playing well and we need her back on form, Dali also showing glimpses of her old self, and Leon playing well as she usually does

Something I've noticed a lot of is whenever there's a scramble for the ball, more often than not we come out second best, whenever there's a loose ball it's usually the opposition that come away with it, and see too many times where we lose possession because our players leave it to each other none of them end up with it and again we lose possession

I think a lot of today is also down to the lack of players available and the formation we've been forced into. Only having thirteen first team players available for a Quarter-Final, and having to name four academy players on the bench, only being able to name five players on the bench in total, is pretty shameful on the club, even allowing that some bad luck has played it's part in that

• Like 1

Much much better after the first half, dominated the second half and would have won comfortably if not for some brilliant saves from their keeper, would have been such a shame to lose on penalties as overall we were the better team.

As for the penalty shoot-out Van Domselaar made some absolutely brilliant saves, even the one they missed, would another brilliant save because if it had have been on target she would have got to it, was confused why Corsie took one of the penalites, I had no confidence she was going to score at all, but credit to her and her character for volunteering I guess

Was glad Patten got to score the winning pentaly, after the weekend mistake, which is pretty unusual for her, she's been one of our better players this season, and one of the the few that hasn't had a drop off in form from last season, so brilliant in possession, and the way she can briings the ball out of defence too

If we'd have lost I probably would have said I'm not that bothered, as we probably not going to win the whole thing anyway, and that's probably true, but I think this win is more important than just reaching the semi-final, hopefully it will give the players some belief despite the circumstances, going into the league games

Van Domselaar was sensational in the shoot-out, some absolutely cracking saves

• Like 1

Really have to praise Leon, I think she has been great lately. Never stops working and is usually involved in anything good we do. Probably the one consistently good performer from games I've seen lately.

I do worry a bit though where our goals will come from in the next 2 without Daly, does look a bit rough. 

Unfortunatley Salmon didn't look great today, although she did score and I'm not sure why it was disallowed, had the sound on mute so didn't hear the explanation, I couldn't see anything wrong with it, I think there is a very good player there though if used the right way, trouble is I don't think she's a Daly replacement, as plays completely different, better alongside Daly or out wide

Magill played well in general but didn't look dangerous in the final third, she was dropping deep a lot of the time and playing more as a third midfielder; presumably we don't think she's ready to start games yet, but the most natural replacement we have for Daly in terms of the type of striker she is is probably Georgia Mullett

I think a big positive from today is that Hanson, Nobbs, and Dali all played really well, Hanson was back to her best against Bristol City, so good to see that continue, if we can keep those three playing well then we will have a chance in games

• Like 1

Had a lot of Arsenal supporters sat with and supporting us. Not sure why, but they were great!

Not often you can say that about Arsenal supporters...

• 2 weeks later...
Â