EFL Trophy 2019/20

BOF

Why is this in ‘other football’? Surely should be in the main section.

I’m actually looking forward to going to the games as they’re all within 20-30 mins from me and they’re all grounds I’ve not visited before.

Its good practice for our young players and a decent opportunity for us to see them in a more competitive environment.

I don’t really agree that academy clubs should be in the competition but i understand some of the reasons behind the new format (the competition was really struggling in terms of attendances and overall value) and we’re in it so might as well make the most of it :)

Not sure if we’ll end up playing Bury though as they’re on the verge of going bump and being booted out of the league, hope for their sake it gets sorted.

Could offer some much needed revenue for Bury. I agree that it could prove beneficial for our youngsters to play these games, but that really it should remain a cup competition for the smaller clubs like Walsall & Small Heath, to try to get a day out at Wembley.😉

Edited by John

1 hour ago, John said:

Could offer some much needed revenue for Bury. I agree that it could prove beneficial for our youngsters to play these games, but that really it should remain a cup competition for the smaller clubs like Walsall & Small Heath, to try to get a day out at Wembley.😉

To be fair, they still do, furthest any prem team has got is semi final so the smaller clubs are still getting their day out at Wembley 

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

To be fair, they still do, furthest any prem team has got is semi final so the smaller clubs are still getting their day out at Wembley 

We are in it now, so we just could be the first PL club to make it to Wembley. Visiting that stadium is habit forming, who knows our youngsters might fancy making it three visits in three years? 😯

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/07/2019 at 14:11, John said:

Looks like Bury are about to be kicked out of the Football League on Friday. Havent played a game all season. No idea what happened but them and Bolton fielding youth teams in League 1 is sad for 2 old clubs of the game. Maybe Bury are not as successful as Bolton in historical terms but still 130 plus years of history

This is just the start I feel

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Looks like Bury are about to be kicked out of the Football League on Friday. Havent played a game all season. No idea what happened but them and Bolton fielding youth teams in League 1 is sad for 2 old clubs of the game. Maybe Bury are not as successful as Bolton in historical terms but still 130 plus years of history

This is just the start I feel

As I understand it. Bury's owner doesn't have or is not prepared to use, the cash to satisfy the EFL that the club can see out it's fixtures and won't accept the bid that has been made, which would save the club because he thinks he can get a better offer. Bolton's owner stopped paying the players and staff's wages some months ago and also refuses to sell. Bury are likely to go first. Two bad owners don't give a fig for the club they own or it's fans and are prepared to see it fold as the EFL just watch it happen. :( 

12 hours ago, John said:

As I understand it. Bury's owner doesn't have or is not prepared to use, the cash to satisfy the EFL that the club can see out it's fixtures and won't accept the bid that has been made, which would save the club because he thinks he can get a better offer. Bolton's owner stopped paying the players and staff's wages some months ago and also refuses to sell. Bury are likely to go first. Two bad owners don't give a fig for the club they own or it's fans and are prepared to see it fold as the EFL just watch it happen. :( 

I don't understand the mentality of these owners. In both cases they have an offer to buy the club, and they refuse. Whilst they might want more than the offers are for, If the clubs fold (which is very very likely) then they will get the square root of f*** all for the clubs?  Surely they can see this? What is the benefit for them. As for not paying players or staff for some months, what does the owner expect to happen?

Madness, utter madness. I feel for the fans. Makes me think how lucky we are . 

6 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

I don't understand the mentality of these owners. In both cases they have an offer to buy the club, and they refuse. Whilst they might want more than the offers are for, If the clubs fold (which is very very likely) then they will get the square root of f*** all for the clubs?  Surely they can see this? What is the benefit for them. As for not paying players or staff for some months, what does the owner expect to happen?

Madness, utter madness. I feel for the fans. Makes me think how lucky we are . 

Could they have a plan to use the land that the ground is on for a more profitable purpose for themselves (such as housing for example)?

Whatever is their selfish reason, it brings into question once again, the so called fit & proper persons test. It's clearly not fit for purpose when two people like these got through it.

It seems that the EFL are prepared to see both clubs fold, when they themselves have some share of the responsibility for the situation that these two clubs find themselves in.

So much for these owners being "custodians" of the clubs they are actively grinding into the ground. Shame on them and on the EFL allowing it to happen on their watch.😡

On 24/08/2019 at 14:13, Zatman said:

I imagine its pay at the door

Yeah, just been on Salford's website, £10 a ticket.

Anyone else considering going? Worried I'm gonna be a lone wolf and get the shit kicked out of me by some angry Mancunians in the home end.

Â