Motorcycles

KenjiOgiwara

Tried finding a thread, but doesn't seem like there's people here riding. 

I am currently looking into getting my first bike. I am not sure what I am looking for, other than wanting the ergonomics to be ideal. 

So far I've been looking at the new Triumph Street Twin, Suzuki TU250X, Ducati Monster and Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (and I think the Brutale 675 is kinda cool).

I am willing to look at pretty much anything. I don't think I will look at anything above 900 CC. 

Anyone have any recs or opinions on the matter?

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Bikers - I go from admiring them to thinking they are just bonkers!

The state of the roads and driving standards in the UK means I would never entertain it!

Have you ever ridden a bike before? If you haven't I wouldn't be going for anything powerful. My first bike was 500cc and it was plenty for a starter bike. The bigger the engine the heavier the bike and the less nimble it is in traffic. Is it for commuting or just weekend leisure rides?

16 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just for a laugh really. 

🤨 

Well if you get one make sure you have done the right training/instruction courses and passed your test. Having ridden a bike for a few years I can tell you first hand they are dangerous. Always obey the golden rule, everyone else on the road is actively trying to kill you. People will see you coming on your bike, lights and high viz on, and still pull out straight in front of you. It happens all the time.  

• Like 1

I lived on the Isle of Man for 12 years where they are of course a way of life.  Saw far too many deaths and injuries though to ever think about getting one myself.

29 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Everything can kill you if you act a moron. It's possible to drive mc's with crashing 

it certainly is

I've personally seen someone killed on a bike through absolutely no fault of their own. You don't have to act a moron to be side swiped by a pensioner in a Volvo and get pushed under a truck.

But yes, every day is a risk and you can't hide under the bed your whole life. You are definitely right there. But equally, someone that thinks they might get a 900cc bike as a first ride, that's loading the dice a little in my opinion.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Everything can kill you if you act a moron. It's possible to drive mc's with crashing 

I forget the exact percentage but in Ireland it's something like in two thirds of motorcycle accidents the motorcyclist did nothing wrong and was riding with due care and caution and still got clobbered. Like I said if you get one be careful and expect that every car will drive like your bike doesn't exist.

I took my test 3 years ago (in Canada) and bought an older bike - 1983 Suzuki GS650. It's an inline 4 so I can't speak about v-twins (I've ridden a couple but not for long).  I love it. Not too heavy, around 70HP so will take a passenger and luggage on the highways with more than enough power to get you out of trouble (and some of our highways are very mountainous).  I had a 49cc scooter before that, and despite people taking the piss I still miss it, though I'd probably never ride it if I'd kept it.

IMHO...

1. I'm glad I didn't get a 250cc - everyone I know either sold theirs after one season or is bored of it / frustrated by it now.

2. Personally I'd avoid any 600 sport bike to start with - a lot more power and less weight than my bike even in a 600cc, and they will throw you the **** off if you don't know how to ride them.

3. I'd buy used for my first bike, or just accept the fact that you're going to drop it at least once.  The main damage will be to your ego, and any fairings / mirrors / stuff sticking out. I didn't care since my bike is old and scuffed, but I would have been heartbroken if it's been a new bike.

Also, think about how much you want to wrench on them - generally the older the bike, the more work they'll need.  Mine's really easy to work on - fluids, filters, and cables are very simple / easy to access, and I've done some electrical and mechanical on it. I was actually annoyed / surprised that you had to take the carbs off to change the starter motor, which is a really unfair criticism but speaks to how easy everything else has been.  Make sure you get a shop manual and a Haynes / Clymer manual, and check both against each other (there are errors).  My bike lacks things like ABS and has some quirks specific to the make / model so it's not perfect.

The Street Twin is a lovely bike, similar riding position to mine which is great for most stuff. You'll get the wind in your face on the highway but that's half the appeal for me. I don't envy the old boys on Goldwings sat in the armchair seats with the big windshields. Sure, it looks comfy, but I'd rather be in a car at that point. The 250 might feel too small quite quickly, though if you buy it used it'll hold its value for a season and you can sell and step up.  The Ducati I've never ridden, and the Guzzi's aren't really my thing.  Have you looked at the Ducati Scrambler?  If I was starting out I'd take that, the Street Twin and a Bonneville out for a test ride.

As above, obey the two golden rules:

1. Everyone is trying to kill you all the time. You are always in the wrong - not a lot of point being righteous and dead.

2. Wear protection. This means different things to different people, but even if I'm going a couple of kms across town, I'm wearing Kevlar-lined jeans with built in armour, a bike jacket, gloves and boots (for around town I have ones that are basically re-enforced high tops).  All of those are a compromise in terms of protection but better than nothing.  For longer journeys I'll have proper pants, a thicker jacket, more sturdy boots and even in summer I'll go thicker gloves (my summer gloves are very lightweight).

Two extra rules:

3. If you ride in the rain (I ride all year) no-one can see you at all.  Your visor is like a blindfold at slower speeds.  Water will get into anything and make you uncomfortable / distracted. Buy your gear (and colour of rain gear) accordingly.

4. No passengers for the first few months.  Ideally for the first 3-5000kms, as you will make mistakes.  I'm at around 20,000kms, and since the birth of my daughter we've decided that we'll never be on the bike together again and I put my life insurance up.  The risk is real.

All that said, it's a ton of fun and hard to beat on a sunny day with your mates. Just take it easy and keep the rubber side down.

• Like 4

Fantastic post. 

I am not a big fan of the Ducati Scrambler looks. I think in all honesty it's gonna be a Street Twin. It just has everything I want. I started out looking at the Bonneville t100, then the Speed Twin, then the street twin. And to be perfectly honest I just can't see the difference between the t100 and the street twin. 

The moto guzzi is a beautiful bike, but it's kinda weird how they turn the engine. 

No worries in regards to rain tho. I won't ride much in the rain at all methinks. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I hear you on the Guzzi and the Scrambler - at this point you've got it down to a bunch of pretty similar bikes and it's all a matter of personal preference from there.  No matter what you get you're going to love it.

Take a pic and post it here once she's up and running!

• Like 1

Â