Set Pieces

sir_gary_cahill

I only saw highlights on YouTube of last night’s match v Norwich City as I watched the CL with my Dad and Grandad instead but I noticed we conceded from yet another set piece. They seem to have been a problem for a long time, call it a lack of desire or whatever it may be, we just seem to be incapable of defending set pieces. For me, these are the basics of football, either man marking or zonally, we seem to have no organisation or leadership qualities when defending set pieces. I am interested to know other poster’s views on this, as it seems to have been a problem for a long time at this football club. In this division particularly, set pieces are so important, we’re too nice and pretty for me, particularly in midfield

The problem is our keeper is stuck to his line, and in my opinion Johnstone was very poor at dominating the box as well.  In this league it's actually probably more important to have a keeper who can punch and catch confidently than a shot stopper. 

We've had 3 seasons of shot stoppers who can't do much more. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The problem is our keeper is stuck to his line, and in my opinion Johnstone was very poor at dominating the box as well.  In this league it's actually probably more important to have a keeper who can punch and catch confidently than a shot stopper. 

We've had 3 seasons of shot stoppers who can't do much more. 

Agreed

• Thanks 1

Set pieces are a real issue for us that urgently needs addressing. I think we switched off for the goal last night. We were undone by the referee playing advantage with his whistle to his mouth but could just have easily been caught the same way by a quickly taken free kick.

Our problems start from a lack of confidence in the keeper who really needs to do some work with a goalkeeping coach on commanding his area and how to deal with high balls played into the box.

The defence itself needs organising by JT again. This time unfortunately off the pitch rather than on it so that we can make the best of the defenders that are currently available to us until we are able to bring in players in the January window. 

• Like 1

Â