vs Derby - Match Preview

JohnCresswell

Villa return home to play Derby before three successive away games. VillaTalk previews Villa’s only home game in November.

Kick Off ?

An unusual one, this! Saturday 3rd November at 3PM. Saviour it – there aren’t many like that anymore.

Where Can I Watch It Live?

This is a Villa Park only event. No TV coverage for this game, which considering how poor we tend to be on TV is probably a very good thing indeed. Villa are expecting an attendance of around 42,000, so there are a few seats left. If you’ve got nothing important on and you aren’t already going, why not spend an afternoon in B6?

What is the history between the two sides?

I am reliably informed that Villa have played Derby more times than they have Birmingham City. Derby were of course the team Villa purchased Tommy Johnson and Gary Charles from. We also have an ex-manager in common – John Gregory. Oh, and Paul McGrath finished his career there.

Derby haven’t won at Villa Park since 1988.

Villa reserves beat Derby Reserves at Villa Park 4-1 earlier in the year.

What’s the team news?

For Derby, Giles Barnes is making progress on his injury and could be set to make a start in the Premier League. Kenny Miller is expected to be fit and Derby’s only real doubt is said to be Andy Todd. Not that I can imagine that is much of a blow to them.

Villa have Carson and Reo-Coker back from suspension so expect a side very different to the one that started the bore-draw up in Bolton. Curtis Davis is continuing to push Zat Knight for a place in the team and it is not expected for John Carew to be fit enough to return, which is a big blow for Villa. Speaking of blows….

Oh for Goodness Sake….

Mark Halsey is named as the referee for this game. Halsey has a history of making mistakes in Villa games so we’ll all be hoping and praying that changes.

What’s the Prediction?

Villa need to blow away the cobwebs from the past few games, and should be looking at winning this game convincingly. They failed to beat the bottom club last week, but Derby are in a similar position and have failed to get up to the pace of the Premier League. Anything less than a win will be a poor result for the Villa boys, and I’m going for 3-0.

Why Should We Beat Them?

Because they are probably the worst side in the division. That's the best reason of them all. But why else? Well, for a start there is something about Billy Davies that I don't like. I look at him and think theres something 'odd' about him. Perhaps its the fact that in my mind he looks just like former Children's TV character Pob.

Why Should We Like Them?

I've always quote liked Derby. They are a Midlands club but don't seem to have blind hatred for us out of jealousy, which is always nice. They always seem to rollover against us, so if we are kind, maybe they'll do the same again.

For those with a gnarly satellite setup, the game is on a channel called "Show Sports 3" on the 'Nilesat 102' satellite, but other than that, yes, it is a very under-televised event !

They always seem to rollover against us

I always think back to 1969 when Clough's side led by Dave Mackay walked all over us at Villa Park towards the end of their promotion season. They also gave us some decent games when they had the likes of Dean Saunders in their side rather than in our own. But, like yourself I agree than even Halsey should not be able to stop us getting a win by a couple of goals, it will be interesting to get a look at Barnes as well, as he might be looking for a club soon.

Barnes is gonna be a great little player, but he's a left winger isn't he ? If so, we'll have Young there for the next decade (fingers crossed). If he is a right winger however ..... now that's a position that needs filling.

Â