Gran Turismo Sport

Straggler

Someone else buy this and play with me. It's brilliant!

Couple of observations. I'm finding it harder and harder to keep my Sportsmanship Rating up as I get more competitive, particularly on the shorter races. Any contact negatively effects your SR, even if it's not your fault or it's totally innocuous. I had a bunch of races on Saturday and nearly all of them were really good, clean races. But they were really competitive and it's kind of inevitable that you have the odd bump during overtakes, especially on some of the narrow tracks. It's nothing deliberate or huge, just the odd clip or tapping a back end, but they all count negatively. So because I had the odd bump and it was a short race, my SR went down.

I've dropped from S down to a B/C in a couple of days.

The longer races are better because you usually get a period where the field spreads out and you're driving on your own. But with the shorter races you're almost always in a battle.

Anyway, I still haven't won a race :D 
I did race the perfect race yesterday though really, it was just that the guy in 1st was insanely good. he was consistently lapping 5 seconds faster than me for all 10 laps, and I came in 2nd about 30 seconds in front of 3rd. I'm guessing he's only just got the game but is a veteran of GT or other racing games.

Edited by Stevo985

29 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Do you use a wheel Stevo?

No, but I can already see how it would benefit. Steering with the controller is rarely smooth. So especially when you're racing close to another car it's very easy with the controller to make contact or put a wheel on the grass because you can't make a small enough adjustment.

I see videos of people playing online and their steering is so smooth

I've thought about it.  Currently playing GT with the motion control option.  Takes since getting used to but is definately worth the effort.  Just wish i had more time to actually play it!

I struggled with the stick controls and tried the motion controls as a final option before buying a wheel. 

Oh and im avoidiing online racing till I've had much more time to practise. 

39 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I struggled with the stick controls and tried the motion controls as a final option before buying a wheel. 

Oh and im avoidiing online racing till I've had much more time to practise. 

Dive in mate. 

Best bit about the game by far. I thought it was ok until I tried the daily races (the sport section) Now I think it’s amazing. 

You start at a low rank and it’s good at matchmaking. Just go for it. 

Edited by Stevo985

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

Just  tried a daily race.  Registered a qualifying time and then nothing happened.  Guessing there weren't enough people doing the sane race at the same time. 

Thousands of people do them so very unlikely. 

You have to enter a race, register a qualifying time and then wait for the race to start. It’ll say something like “matching starts in 00:45” when that time runs out you get put into a race. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Thousands of people do them so very unlikely. 

You have to enter a race, register a qualifying time and then wait for the race to start. It’ll say something like “matching starts in 00:45” when that time runs out you get put into a race. 

So I wait in the selection screen after registering a time? Ok I'll give it another bash tomorrow.  Pity cuz I was getting an okish time.

9 hours ago, dubbs said:

So I wait in the selection screen after registering a time? Ok I'll give it another bash tomorrow.  Pity cuz I was getting an okish time.

Enter a race (select the big green tick), that will confirm your entry, then select "Qualifying Time Trial".

Then just put your qualifying laps in until the timer runs out (it will run at the top of the screen while you're qualifying)
When the timer runs out it will automatically "match" you. It matches you with people of your level (both DR and SR) and puts you on a grid based on your time. You then get a "warm up" for about a minute (basically drive out of the pits and do a few corners) and then the race will start properly.

If you're really early then you won't be able to enter the race but you can still qualify. So do a few laps. but you still need to then exit out of qualifying and enter the race when entry is open or you won't get entered.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I had another good couple of races last night but again had the issue of damaging my SR in a competitive race. 4 laps around Interlagos and I was absolutely killing it (came 3rd after qualifying 15th) but it is so difficult, especially when you're stuck in SR C, to avoid any collisions in a short race so the SR goes down.

So I did a 10 lap race and deliberately came last to increase my SR :D 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Enter a race (select the big green tick), that will confirm your entry, then select "Qualifying Time Trial".

Then just put your qualifying laps in until the timer runs out (it will run at the top of the screen while you're qualifying)
When the timer runs out it will automatically "match" you. It matches you with people of your level (both DR and SR) and puts you on a grid based on your time. You then get a "warm up" for about a minute (basically drive out of the pits and do a few corners) and then the race will start properly.

If you're really early then you won't be able to enter the race but you can still qualify. So do a few laps. but you still need to then exit out of qualifying and enter the race when entry is open or you won't get entered.

I see where im going wrong.  I was registering a qualifying time and then backing out thinking the next stage would open up from there. 

Cheers Stevo !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No worries, let me know how you get on.

My guess is you'll love it but be very frustrated by the SR system :D 

Your absolutely right.  It's brilliant. So much better than other racers which soon turn into destruction derbies! I tagged you in a share - really sad i know but thanks again for the guidance.

• Like 1

Yes! A fellow GTer :D 

Yeah the SR system is brilliant in that it encourages clean racing. But it can be so frustrating in how it hands out penalties, and penalises you for contact regardless of if it was incredibly minor and/or obviously not your fault.

Â