Yakuza

hogso

Haven't played it yet unfortunately, but the things I've read and seen about it are overwhelmingly positive. Odd Yakuza game to start with, given how different this is to the other games in the series (this is the first one with turn based combat). 

• 1 year later...

RGG did their own announcement stream thing, or 'summit' as they called it, today. 

They announced Yakuza 8, aka Like a Dragon 2.

I'll post the tweet in a spoiler, seeing as it's kind of a spoiler for Like a Dragon, if you've played earlier Yakuza titles...? 

Spoiler

And the actual announcement trailer

• Like 1

Probably worth mentioning that RGG also announced another game, the name of which I won't put here, but again in a spoiler for those who may not have played Yazuka 6 and Like a Dragon, and intend on doing so and wish to remain entirely spoiler free... 

Spoiler

As it will detail the gap in Kiryu's story between the end of Yazuka 6 and Like a Dragon. 

Titled 'The man who erased his name'. 

That's a remake of the second Edo period, previously Japan only, PS3 game. 

The first one was an account of the life of a real historic figure, and undefeated swordsman from the 16th century. That game was called Kenzan! 

This one which was shown off at the State of Play is set in the late Edo period, following the life of a guy who was an influencial samurai - again, a real historic figure. This one is called Ishin! 

The Yakuza games have always recreated real locales across Japan, but have exaggerated the role of Asian mafia gangs in the modern era. 

How closely exactly the Edo games follow the real life stories I have no idea, though. Both original games did review well in Japan, at least.

Edited by hogso

• 2 months later...

I'm very close to getting the Platinum for Like a Dragon / Yakuza 7 now - just the 'true' version of final millennium tower left to do. I spent some time levelling everyone to at least level 28 for every job, with all character levels being in the 90-92 range, and absolutely breezed the 'final' version. 

What a fantastic game. It makes me want to go back through the older ones and play them sequentially, as I never did play the remastered versions of 3-5. Not a chance though! Far too much of a time sink. I'd much rather plan the Judgement games, which I never got round to.

Kiryu gets a 'gaiden' game next year to bridge the gap between Yakuza 6, 7, and 8, and then in 2024 we get Yakuza 8 which seemingly sees Ichi and Kiryu teaming up against some at this time unknown mutual enemy. Could be Bleach Japan? The scope of the antagonist's gets bigger with every passing game it seems (excluding 7), so some world ending threat seems the logical way to go.

Although it's a series which has embraced the bizarre over the years, the actual main stories of each game have been relatively routed in political and gangland strife. A threat to the whole world though? I'm just gonna say it. Aliens. Or maybe, Americans.

Suppose I'm going to have to get used to calling them Like a Dragon rather than Yakuza pretty soon, though...

• 1 year later...

So, Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth (Yakuza Eight) comes out this month.

I must say, it looks brilliant. It looks bigger, more ridiculous, and has a **** island builder minigame in it... 

Feel like this is going to be potentially my GOTY for 2024.

Edited by JoshVilla
Note: when he says "spoiler alert", you literally have a second to pause the video if you don't want to hear it....

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Like a Dragon Gaiden.

100% recommended, especially for anybody who's planning on playing Infinite Wealth when it comes out next week (it essentially bridges the gap between 7 and 8). The story is much shorter and to the point, but there's still plenty of usual Yakuza extra stuff to do if you want to. Absolutely loved it.

Spoiler

Also, I don't usually get too emotional when playing games, but bloody hell, the ending got me...

Going to be a looong time until I play it, similar to the time it took me to play LAD 7 I guess. 

Be nice to pick up Gaiden in a sale down the line, and then move on to LAD 8 after...maybe next year? 

Sank a good few hours into Infinite Wealth now. I **** love it. They've made some real improvements to the combat (which I did actually like in Yakuza 7). I've not gotten too far in the story just yet as the new map is a joy to explore.

On 27/01/2024 at 09:41, hogso said:

Going to be a looong time until I play it, similar to the time it took me to play LAD 7 I guess. 

Be nice to pick up Gaiden in a sale down the line, and then move on to LAD 8 after...maybe next year? 

Definitely play Gaiden first, I would say. I think that some of the stuff in this one won't quite have the same impact otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got around to finally finishing Yakuza 0, and I really enjoyed the experience. Went on to start Kiwami 1, and liking it a lot as well so far. 

Mixing it up with Like a Dragon, which is brilliant, so I will most likely keep going with all of them. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Infinite Wealth finished. What a **** game. As said before, I think it's pretty certain that it'll be my GOTY. To me, it's the ultimate Yakuza game - it takes everything that's great about the series and smashes it all together in such a brilliant way. Got a couple more trophies that I need to sweep up to get the platinum, so I'll be dipping back in to do the last few bits and bobs.

Spoiler

It's pretty obvious that this game is a passing of the torch from the old cast to the new. The ending is slightly ambiguous in terms of what happens to Kiryu, but I think that's it now in terms of him being a playable character.

• Like 1

Â