Desktop Pc advice

MellbergsBeard

Hello,

As a family we are looking into getting a desktop Pc,

It will be mainly used for fm2016 ;),  Web browsing, streaming and using Microsoft works.

Do you have any recommendations? A friend told me to look on mesh computers or novatech? 

Ideally looking to spend no more than £400 on the tower.

Thank you

• 9 months later...

What did you end up buying?

Low budget like that, must have been tough!

I bought a used one from tier1online (£120) and stuck a graphics card in it. Ok for browsing, streaming and older games but FM2015 is proper slow

• 10 months later...

I usually just use laptop for FM but am looking to buy a PC for proper gaming. I don't know much about performance needs but this is available used so any advice on if it is decent and what you would consider a fair price?

Fast MSI Gaming PC based on top quality branded components 
CPU is unlocked intel i5 4690K 3.5 GHz x4 (3.9 ghz turbo) 
Motherboard MSI Z97 Gamer 5 
Ram memory 16Gig ddr3 
128GB SSD SATA3 6gb/s System drive 
1.5Tb SATA2 hdd 
Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2gb ddr5 
Psu 700Watt 

I'd consider a GTX 770 to be pretty much end of life these days, that's going to be below minimum spec for a lot of modern games. It was a higher mid range card when it came out 5 years ago, but the 2GB VRAM really hampers it with modern games.

The old motherboard is going to limit you too. You're not going to be able to upgrade that in any meaningful way due to the old CPU socket, and you're restricted to older DDR3 RAM though these aren't likely to be the bottleneck - it's the GPU that's the main issue.

Unless you can get it for an absolute bargain and you're going to be playing older games, or you're happy playing at low settings, I'd probably pass. 

Do you have an idea what sort of thing you're going to be playing? 

Edited by Davkaus

56 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd consider a GTX 770 to be pretty much end of life these days, that's going to be below minimum spec for a lot of modern games. It was a higher mid range card when it came out 5 years ago, but the 2GB VRAM really hampers it with modern games.

The old motherboard is going to limit you too. You're not going to be able to upgrade that in any meaningful way due to the old CPU socket, and you're restricted to older DDR3 RAM though these aren't likely to be the bottleneck - it's the GPU that's the main issue.

Unless you can get it for an absolute bargain and you're going to be playing older games, or you're happy playing at low settings, I'd probably pass. 

Do you have an idea what sort of thing you're going to be playing? 

Thanks for the advice. All the new releases really. God of War etc..

I will avoid it by the sounds of it, it was listed as capable of playing the latest games. Might just buy brand new, I know where I stand then, unless you can recommend me anything?

Yea avoid that one for sure. Completely outdated components. Definitely best of building a brand new one. Start with a Corsair 200r case (you get one with a window if you want to see the inside) - only about £55 on Amazon. Comes with 2 fans (I think) and you can fit all sorts of motherboard sizes into it.

check out PC part picker - you can pick all your components, and it lets you know if they are compatible. Also has prices and places where you can buy each part. 

Edited by Tayls

Â