Twitter to broadcast Thursday NFL games

BOF

Twitter & NFL: Social media website to broadcast Thursday night games

Detroit Lions v San Francisco 49ers

Twitter has agreed a deal to broadcast Thursday night NFL games online across the world for free.

Twitter was bidding against a number of companies, including Verizon, Yahoo and Amazon, to win the rights. Facebook dropped out of the bidding last week.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed the deal, though the social network service is yet to comment.

The NFL signed a multi-year partnership with Twitter last year to deliver video and other content to fans daily.

EDIT : WYSIWYG my b*ll*cks

But more importantly, have they axed the two numptys from commentating on Thursdays? I actually miss Nessler and Mayock on that spot from a few years ago.

• Like 1

Surprised at how cheap this was sold for and that netflix or Amazon TV weren't buying up the rights. It baffles me how oblivious TV companies are to the rise of online streaming. It's napster all over again where the music companies were 20 years behind the current technology. If the premier league sold rights to stream premier league games like this they would make an unholy amount of money. 

I wonder what the cost will be for streaming NFL and will it be US only?

19 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Surprised at how cheap this was sold for and that netflix or Amazon TV weren't buying up the rights. It baffles me how oblivious TV companies are to the rise of online streaming. It's napster all over again where the music companies were 20 years behind the current technology. If the premier league sold rights to stream premier league games like this they would make an unholy amount of money. 

I wonder what the cost will be for streaming NFL and will it be US only?

As Brumerican said, NFL already has a kickass streaming service in NFL Gamepass. It's been the opposite in terms of availability as the rest of the world has had it for a number of years and the yanks could only sign up last season. It's about 140 or so quid for the season. UK might have some blackout games for Sky reasons, I'm not sure.

You can pay £100 and you get everything but the Sky games (I have Sky anyway) and the playoffs (Which are all on SKY anyway). 

£140 gets you the playoffs as well, but I didn't see the point in paying an extra £40 for something I have paid for on SKY. 

It really is a brilliant service .  The condensed replays are fantastic too . 

I love gamepass. Had it for 3 years now and it really is worth the money. Live games, on demand games, RedZone plus a whole host of NFL Network programming makes it a must have in my opinion. I have MLBTV too which is also well worth the money 

Â