Dark Souls III

Phumfeinz

4 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Easy way to kill them:

Hide contents

Get a summon and just back stab. If you don't want to have a summon, then when he duplicates himself, just back off and let the clone fight the real one. Then just go for back stabs. This was the easiest boss by far for me in dark souls. I didn't even take damage just fishing for backstabs. 

I may have had an even cheaper way but requires some luck...

Spoiler

I got fed up of fighting the Dark Wraiths (?) that appear every time you run to that boss fight, so waited for them to take out the other enemies then sprinted past them through the fog. During the boss fight I drew the Watchers to the door, then sprinted to the opposite end. The 3 end up fighting each other and trying to hit the Dark Wraiths through the fog so ignore you. Once phase one was over, the second phase also got stuck fighting the Wraiths through the fog, so I was able to waltz up, and back stab with a dark effect on my katana, which halved the health pretty much, then just hammer a combo out and he was down. Got lucky of course and its cheap but it worked!

The Cathedral is a bit of a difficulty bump, the run from the bonfire to the lift shortcut in the Cathedral itself is a tense bitch and the longest gap between a bonfire I can recall at this point...

It's absolutely ridiculous how closely this is related to Dark Souls I. I can't tell at the moment whether we find out the link (I really hope so) or it's just playing to the fans of DkSI. That said, there's also links to Demon's Souls and DkSII, so I would imagine it will wrap things up nicely. I'm absolutely loving it now, tbh. It's just fantastic. One area in particular I've just reached, my jaw hit the floor. It's also nice to know that there's hundreds of hours of exploring, playing new characters, pvping left to do. Great stuff. 

Spoiler

Also, the moment earlier on in the game when Siegward of Catarina (onion knight) helps you defeat that fire demon was just amazing. I couldn't get the grin off my face for ages. :D

Cathedral done, and at the first bonfire in the catacombs. The Cathedral is a bitch until you start to unlock shortcuts, then it starts to be more rewarding. The boss there is shit though - mash button, run away, watch light, charge, repeat. Catacombs on the other hand so far are more consistently straight up difficult, with enemies punishing overly aggressive styles harshly.

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

Cathedral done, and at the first bonfire in the catacombs. The Cathedral is a bitch until you start to unlock shortcuts, then it starts to be more rewarding. The boss there is shit though - mash button, run away, watch light, charge, repeat. Catacombs on the other hand so far are more consistently straight up difficult, with enemies punishing overly aggressive styles harshly.

I actually did that area last night on my 2nd character, and my statement that the Abyss Watchers were the easiest boss is wrong. Without a doubt it has to be the Deacons. My first play through I did that boss solo.

Spoiler

I didn't know you're supposed to attack the glowing one because I immediately rushed in and starting attacking. I figured the boss was like the skeleton ones from ds2 where you had to kill them all to end the boss fight, so I was just swinging away. It took me around 5 minutes my first attempt. 2nd attempt I had 2 summons with me and I saw one of the enemies light up. Once I realized that was the way to fight the boss, I felt silly. 

Abyss Watchers are the first I've struggled with really, and I did that third time round. The Deacons on the other hand... I genuinely don't know how you'd struggle on that boss. I've got a fairly powerful weapon and I've specced to it, so I hit pretty hard, but even with a weaker weapon so long as you keep an eye on your stamina, you win.

Haven't been able to play much since it came out but I just defeated Vordt. I had a summon which made the fight a bit too easy.

Saying that, I'm struggling a lot more with this game than previous ones. The run from the second bonfire on the wall of Lothric to the boss area is a little tough with only a few Estus charges. Those damn knights patrolling the bit between the boss area and where Emma sits are utter bastards. I ended up leaving the one with red eyes because he was just a beast. In the end I just pegged it from the bonfire to the boss room, took him out to get the bonfire and then went to get the banner from Emma. 

Bit worrying I'm struggling this early in the game though. Part of it is ring rust, but it's tougher than I thought :huh:

1 minute ago, Ginko said:

Haven't been able to play much since it came out but I just defeated Vordt. I had a summon which made the fight a bit too easy.

Saying that, I'm struggling a lot more with this game than previous ones. The run from the second bonfire on the wall of Lothric to the boss area is a little tough with only a few Estus charges. Those damn knights patrolling the bit between the boss area and where Emma sits are utter bastards. I ended up leaving the one with red eyes because he was just a beast. In the end I just pegged it from the bonfire to the boss room, took him out to get the bonfire and then went to get the banner from Emma. 

Bit worrying I'm struggling this early in the game though. Part of it is ring rust, but it's tougher than I thought :huh:

There is a pretty massive short cut there if you haven't unlocked it yet. 

When I was doing runs to Vordt I

Spoiler

Used the first bonfire, took a left at the area with the dogs down a lift and past 3 Hollows. You come out just by the initial entrance after the winged Knight, next to an archer, and only really need to fight a couple of low level enemies to get there each time. I think you might need to open it going the other way though. Faster and easier than going from the second bonfire.

Need to get back to the catacombs today... I'm trying to clear an area a day if possible, and had yesterday off.

I'm also starting to think I might need a back up weapon with some oomph behind it. The katana has dealt with everything so far but I'm convinced that'll change.

Well, I don't know if Dark Souls 3 has massively changed weapon specs etc. but historically the Uchigatana (which I assume is the katana you're using) is a pretty powerful weapon as long as you're pumping points into Dexterity as it scales pretty nicely with that stat.

Might be worth googling, but in the past Uchigatana/Dex builds have been pretty decent.

Are you playing a dex build? If so, Halberd type weapons are really good for dishing out heavy damage. The move sets take a while to get used to but when you learn to 2hand them, they can be devastating. Katana's are strong with high dex scaling and added bleed debuff but they only really shine against light armoured enemies. Coming up against heavy armoured enemies, it'll be a bit of a struggle. 

Spoiler

The guy on the throne in firelink can transform your boss souls into enemy weapons. If you haven't already checked, he'll have some pretty powerful, fun weapons to try out.

I got the black katana on my first character, and I still use that as my main weapon, but even at +10 upgrade, it's scaling is only B. I changed my build to a faith build and made the katana lightning infused and now I do 400 dmg flat. Pretty decent for a quick weapon. The sprinting attacks on the katana are so good. The reach is ridiculous. 

Another really good early game weapon is the butcher's knife. That is what I am using on my 2nd character. I am doing 300+ dmg and I am not even level 60. 

Really disappointed with magic, miracles, fire, and hexes. Way too easy to dodge, and when they do hit, they do basically no damage. 

This might be deemed a spoiler, but it should be known. 

If you find yourself at a boss gate, you should always back track and look around because there will always be a bonfire, or a shortcut to a previous bonfire close to the boss room. This definitely saves time, and much needed flasks for bosses. 

Im heavily dex based. I've upgraded a halberd and a great sword a little just in case. I've largely ignored the transposition stuff as nothing really grabs me in there, besides a certain ring I grabbed immediately :)

The uchigatana is now +6/7 now I think, I've not infused it with anything yet. It hits pretty hard and I've not found anything it struggles with yet - a few enemies take a few more swings but nothing has really made me feel underpowered yet. The only thing it doesn't do well is crowds, thankfully my playstyle means the rarely happens... My concern was mostly that that might not last forever and then I'll quickly have to get used to something else.

Anywho, catacombs done (second shit boss in a row), now clearing out the area nearby, which appears to be a treasure trove of decent gear and upgrade materials. Which has had the bonus effect of letting me tinker with a few upgrades.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Im heavily dex based. I've upgraded a halberd and a great sword a little just in case. I've largely ignored the transposition stuff as nothing really grabs me in there, besides a certain ring I grabbed immediately :)

The uchigatana is now +6/7 now I think, I've not infused it with anything yet. It hits pretty hard and I've not found anything it struggles with yet - a few enemies take a few more swings but nothing has really made me feel underpowered yet. The only thing it doesn't do well is crowds, thankfully my playstyle means the rarely happens... My concern was mostly that that might not last forever and then I'll quickly have to get used to something else.

Anywho, catacombs done (second shit boss in a row), now clearing out the area nearby, which appears to be a treasure trove of decent gear and upgrade materials. Which has had the bonus effect of letting me tinker with a few upgrades.

Infuse your weapons with the sharp gem. It makes them scale off Dex even more. 

That was what I was thinking of next I think...

The boss of the lake is a bit of word removed... Nearly beat it first time out, every other time since I literally don't land a strike... I'm struggling hitting it because I can't seem to get an idea of where I am in relation to it, and some of it's attacks are extremely heavy hitters... Perseverance.

Spoiler

Took me 4 hours to kill Aldrich, Devourer of Gods. 4 hours, I just don't know why i struggled so much. His second phase arrow attack is just ridiculous. When I finally got the kill, I just got the final attack in before he killed me. Was a beautiful moment though. I need a rest for a few days. 

Â