Sex offenders to be chemically castrated.

BOF

Do you agree that some child sex offenders should be chemically castrated?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that some child sex offenders should be chemically castrated?

• Yes
    • No

Video link

Some child sex offenders will be chemically castrated to reduce the likelihood of them preying on children, under new Government plans. Sky's Chief Political Correspondent Jon Craig reports.

I'd say that's the nitty gritty. The actual offence and evidence required for that punishment to be handed out. I'd say it'd be a fairly good way of dissuading someone from ever doing it in the first place!

thought the liberals on here would be up in arms against this ..

After all if you are born gay , then surely you are also born liking young children and therefore it's not your fault ??

The level of evidence necessary etc can be debated, but in theory ...

Abso-****-lutely!

Well put.

But - would Graham Rix for example be classified as one who should have this done to him? Len Fairclough (for us older ones) ?

Gary Glitter you could argue is a perfect candidate maybe?

3 cases all different - 1 innocent

I think that it could cause problems, mainly to do with the cut off age.

As consensual sex between a 15 year old and a 17 year old is technically rape (I think, or is that just in the USA), what happens when the ages start to move outwards?

What about a consensual 12 year old and 18 year old? A bit weird, certainly - but child abuse? What about if a 12 year old rapes a 9 year old? Castration for the 12 year old?

At what age of both victim and assailant would this be used as a possibility?

Incidentally, as with rape isn't a lot of child abuse more to do with power rather than sexual excitement? If so, what good is it going to do to reduce somebody's sexual urges?

Not 'innocent', maybe just not qualifying for that level of punishment.
Well Peter Adamson was cleared of the assualt so he was innocent in the eyes of the law.

At what point is the threshold? Graham Rix had sex with an under age girl, but are the circumstances the same as say GG who has been found guilty of having sex with a girl just about a teen-ager

After all if you are born gay , then surely you are also born liking young children and therefore it's not your fault ??

Being gay is pre-programmed. It is a person's sexuality. Liking kids is no more pre-programmed than being a serial killer is. It can be brought on by conditions of upbringing etc, or one can have the personality more conducive to becoming one, but homosexuality and paedophilia are not in the same ballpark at all, and to suggest as much would, quite rightly, cause ferocious arguments I'd say.

I think there is a voluntary aspect to this, is there not?

some sex offenders can actually volunteer to have this done to them to stop them re-offending as they don't trust themselves .....

Not 'innocent', maybe just not qualifying for that level of punishment.
Well Peter Adamson was cleared of the assualt so he was innocent in the eyes of the law.

At what point is the threshold? Graham Rix had sex with an under age girl, but are the circumstances the same as say GG who has been found guilty of having sex with a girl just about a teen-ager

Look, the level of guilt is up to the court. I take it you agree that there is a point where that treatment is the right one.

I must add that this is indeed a VOLUNTSRY scheme:

"The treatment involving libido-reducing drugs or anti-depressants would be given on a voluntary basis"

source = the beeb website.

I still say there's a market for realdoll.com here !!
you mention that site far too often for my liking sir. :wink:

Back on topic, how exactly does this work?

you mention that site far too often for my liking sir.

I watched a documentary called 'Guys & Dolls' the other week. It had an affect on me :shock: There's some bleeding weirdo's out there, so if we can keep them in their bedrooms with a 150lb piece of rubber then it's all good.

[............

Look, the level of guilt is up to the court. I take it you agree that there is a point where that treatment is the right one.

it is certainly something that can be considered yes.

Absolutely not.

The idea that this sort of treatment, even to convicted sex offenders, can work is complete guff. Despite the fact that the treatment borders on Dr. Mengele-ian, the main problem is that it completely pisses all over the principle of individual re-assimilation of criminals back into society - the whole point of a justice and rehabilitation system.

It takes away the responsibility of the individual to re-assimilate - the only way you can truthfully prove that the individual has remorsed over their crime and has worked to make sure it never happens again. "Castration" on the political will of headline-hunting politicians takes the responsibility to assimilate and truly repent away from the individual, and it puts that reponsibility into the hands of the state.

No thanks.

And what do I think of the story? A knee-jerk solution to appease the right-wing tabloids and out-flank the opposition. This government has'nt done that before, oh no..... :roll:

Interetsing points RISO. Personally i prefer a society that supports people so that they dont need to offend in the first place.

If they do offend then they have already 'wronged' the society that supports them. In which case surely they are equally likely to offend again, itis afterall the same society.

Perhaps in the case fo a thief the theory of repenting, or being able to re-integrate people with better support may hold up. But a paedophile? No, i cant see it.

Â