Advice on whether to take the plunge ...

MCU

Guys, I need some straight up advice on what to do. I don't mind being brought back down to earth if it seems like I'm painting up a perfect picture, but I'm considering taking some time out... in Australia. A friend of mine constantly pesters me about going out with him, he's been before because he has family out there, and he really loves it and would like to go longer this time. 

At the moment I have nothing going for me here apart from my owned flat and job which funds it. I'm 22, single and live on my own. After splitting up with my gf about 8 months ago my life has been prety shit but thats a different story.

What I'm worried about is whether now is the perfect time to do it but it would mean selling up, quitting my job and leaving myself back at square 1 when I return. It's also a long way from home and my family. I'm not 100% on how difficult it is regarding visas etc either. I need something though... and the more I look into the more I want to. 

I've seen a few of you travel alot, how do you fund it and do you get worried about being brought back down to reality when you return home? 

Well, you're still young, you've got that on your side! I think the same things as you.. want to get away and take some time out of the rat race and i'm 36 soon! 

First of all do you have to quit your job and sell your flat? What i'm saying is do they allow career breaks/sabbaticals at your place? They do at mine and most big companies. Also you could rent your flat out while you were away and you'd still have it when you got back and in that time, you'd have someone else paying down your mortgage for 6/12 months or however long you plan to go away for. Least you would't have to buy a new place when you got back. Or do you need the money from the sale to fund your trip?

If you're going over there you need to spend some time in southeast asia as well.. it'd be rude not to!  :) What do you plan to do in Australia? Work? Or an extended vacation?

Ask Stefan.. he quit his job to move to Poland and he loves it but not every person will have the same experience. If you are unhappy in the UK, will being in Australia make you feel better?

Travel definitely broadens the mind and makes you a more rounded person so I would always be in the 'go for it' camp but you need to make that decision yourself. 

• Like 1

would I sell up everything just to go traveliing  ..... hell no

would I sell up and go and live in a country  , yep been there done that  , even if I did come back  a year later  ( but that was a decision made with the new Mrs H and a job opportunity too good to turn down)

I still maintian that no matter how much they tell you they love it and it was awesome and blah blah  , deep down those that go back packing hate it  ... trudging around in flip flops carrying an oversized backpack , having no money , having to spend 40 hours in a coach etc etc 

Keep your job , see the world a little bit at a time on paid leave  , with a smaller bag , a bed with a pillow , and a plane rather than a bus filled with chickens and a driver who hasn't slept for 4 days 

you'll see as much , if not more , than the backpackers  .... and you'll do it with a bit of comfort and without some Aussie bloke constantly dropping his shorts in front of you every 30 seconds

• Like 1

It's kind of two questions really, IMO.

Firstly, a bit of a case of "life's seeming a bit down at the moment, what can I do about it?" and second - a mate is suggesting going to Aus with him.

I'd treat the two things seperately. Going to Aus won't, in itself, solve any problems, or feelings.
It sounds like from the question, that you're already kind of a bit unsure about it.

Don't get me wrong, Australia is brilliant - I've spent quite a bit of time working and travelling there and it's just great. You need a Visa to work there, you have to apply and it gets put on your passport. They've tightened up quite a bit, but your age will help a lot.

If you're thinking of going just to see the place, then be aware it's not particularly cheap, and because it's such a huge place, to really do it justice that would involve more plane travel and costs. You'd need a decent wedge to make the best of it.

So, Australia - fabulous but costly - and the flight there takes forever and isn't cheap either.

Tony's advice above makes a lot of sense - brightening up your life via shorter travel trips and stuff - definitely.

it's completely normal to think about changing jobs, getting something better, moving somewhere else and all that stuff. The reality is that it's often wise to sort something out before leaving what you have now.

Chucking it all in can be very rewarding, but equally it can be reckless and get you nowhere.

good luck, whatever you do, even if that's just staying put and working out an idea of how to improve things in small steps.

• Like 1

...I've seen a few of you travel alot, how do you fund it and do you get worried about being brought back down to reality when you return home? 

Oh and I forgot to answer that bit. Luckily my trips to Aus were for my work, so I didn't pay to get there, just for the holiday travel I did while there.

Coming back to the UK  - it's kind of disorientating after spending a fair time abroad, and it helps to have a job and all that to go to, to re-adjust.

Oh, and I want to go back - hopefully next year I will be. And if I do, I'll do another holiday while I'm there.

Â