Proud History, Bright Future - Sheff Utd Match Report

LancsVillan

BY ME

Today saw the coming together of Villa past and present. Here are a few words about the entertainment and the match.

Much has been said on this site, other sites and most importantly by the club about where the new owners and board see us moving.

Well today they gave everyone a chance to celebrate what was past. The celebrations and introductions of the players from that night in Rotterdam were excellent and were well received by not only the vociferous Holte End, but by all sides, with nice applause from the Sheff Utd fans too - thanks.

Onto the game and just as I mentioned to Bickster, sat next to me, that after 20 odd minutes there had been a lot of bluster with no real chances, out of nothing Gabby skipped past his man and unleashed an exocet (another 82 reminder!) past Paddy Kenny. 1-0 Villa and fully deserved it was too.

Further nice play from Villa and excellent defending throughout, meant that Tommy was an onlooker and he watched with us as Ashley Young cut in from the right, into the box and duly 'megsed' Kenny from the edge of the 6 yard box. 2-0 Villa and much as I hate the chant it would have been quite easy to shout 'Easy, Easy' and look like extra from the Village People.

Half time came and went, giving me the chance to catch up with fellow Villans I'd not seen for a bit to ask them about what they think about all things CnB - only positives were discussed and how could 12 months make such a difference. SO TRUE.

Sheff Utd started the second half like a team that might even be trying to get back into the game, a couple of shots whizzed wide, though Tommy did help one on it's way (his only save)

Villa then turned it up a gear and went looking for another goal, much pressure and the weight of half chances eventually bore the fruit of the lad's labours, when an excellent move and superb interplay between Big John and Patrick Berger found our 'Paddy' free. He despatched the ball into the net via the inside of the post for one of the better goals we've seen at Villa Park in some time.

Much singing; much celebrating; a lot of good football in the following 31 minutes, but no more goals. And so the season at VP ends with a victory over a promoted team, though this one was more convincing from the one way back in August.

To the boys of '82 - I thank you once more for the joys you gave me then.

To the board of today I thank you for recognising that without our history we are nothing.

To those who played, who sang their support and those watching, listening or whatever at home I can see only one thing for Villa A BRIGHT FUTURE

Agreed.

The thing that sticks in my mind about today, apart from the good company, the rather unexpected flea in my ear in the pub, and the great feeling from a full VP enjoying a good performance and the chance to celebrate properly the players from when we were lads, is just the joy on people's faces. From kids like AJ, the students & others not born in 82, the 30 and 40 somethings and the old boys and girls who've been going forever - it was just happy faces and optimism.

Applauding, and being given the chance to applaud, the league and European Cup winning players, and Ron Saunders, properly, in the sun, at home, amongst a sea of claret and blue, well it brought a lump to my throat.

As the old players and manager disappeared down the tunnel, we fans looked at each other in the stands. And we agreed. Priceless.

Just saw the lions share of the game on Football First. What a performance from the lads. It just seems as though it's starting to click now. They all know each other, and over the last 6 league games we are FIRST in the form guide with 14pts. Not even the teams with games in hand can catch us if they win them all.

The back 4 were almost unemployed today. Gardner has grown into his position. Barry was his busy self (and typically managed to get booked). Agbonlahor was an absolute giant today alongside the more literal giant Carew. Best game I've seen from Gabby in a Villa shirt. And it was noticeable that the fear is back in the opposition over him. Gabby the winger was not feared, but bloody hell Gabby the striker was given yards of room today for fear of getting a headstart. Took his goal supremely well. Young is also beginning to get the confidence to do what Watford fans already know he can do. A great goal from him and could have had more. Carew was unlucky not to score too but put in a good shift and linked superbly with Berger for his.

I can't wait for the summer, I can't wait for next season, I can't wait for the future :nod: :thumb:

Also Pete, I would add that it appeared Rose Barton was there but not had confirmation of this

one of the best bits was when Jimmy rimmer kissed the grass, this is from a bloke who started at arsenal and now lives in China, fantastic ....

as they say once a villain, always will be one

To those who played, who sang their support and those watching, listening or whatever at home I can see only one thing for Villa A BRIGHT FUTURE

Er...the scarf sez "A PROUD HISTORY", too, dunnit? :winkold:

Er...the scarf sez "A PROUD HISTORY", too, dunnit? :winkold:

Indeed it does which is why I said thanks to the club for realising that without we are nothing and we prefer to look forward hence 'seeing a BRIGHT FUTURE'

Just get back to finishing the Chronicle will ya

[...Just get back to finishing the Chronicle will ya

:lol:

It's got to the point when someone has got to write a chronicle about me writing the chronicle, Lancs... :winkold:

I was in the North Stand and could not work out who it was who kissed the pitch, great moment. It was a terrific day, brilliant memories thanks to the current board and a bright future also thanks to the current board. The fans were terrific, lets hope we can continue this next season. Loved the scarf treatment, know it is not possible, but would be great if that could be a regular thing

Cheers Lancs,

Good to see you before the game. Thant lanky fella with me was my brother and bless him he had a tear in his eye seeing the '82 team parading around the ground.

Perfect weekend from start to finish (though I didn't get the opportunity to take up the tours of BMH unfortunately)

I was feeling a bit down that I wasn't going to have a ST next season (will be spending my time and a fair chunk of my money llooking after the newly born Peter Withe GarryBarry) but this was a fantastic game to sign off with.

I'll still hopfully make a couple of games and the London away ones.

Â