Stan Crowther

John

I am sad to report that another of our 1957 FA Cup winning team has passed away.

Stan Crowther was aged 78 and made 62 appearances for us scoring 4 goals in seasons 56/57 & 57/8 before moving to Manchester United following the Munich air disaster. He went on to play 20 games for them including their 1958 FA Cup Final defeat dispite having appeared for us in that competition already that season.Stan then moved to Chelsea where he played 58 games between 1958 and 1961.  

Stan was born in Bilston and made 3 England under 23 international appearances. He joined us in 1955 from Bilston Town for a £750 fee and left us for a fee of £18,000.

After watching the 57 Final on DVD many years after the event it was clear that Stan's wing half performance had played a massive part in our win that day and that was a view shared by Stanley Rous as confirmed on the club site below.

Stan said in 2012 that "I was never as happy as I was at the Villa". My thoughts are with his family.Holte Ender in the sky!    

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3864258,00.html

Â