Shillzz's Travelling write up

Shillzz

Ive been to all the places described apart from Borneo, and agree with all of it. I'd move to New Zealand tomorrow, there are few things more depressing than seeing a Tesco or Starbucks on what you hoped would be a beautiful Thai island, and Whitehave Beach, wow. Just, wow.

Glad you had a blast mate.

Glad you enjoyed it ..wouldn't mind seeing some more photo's when you feel like uploading some

Yeah i'll drop some in here when i've sorted some out...

None of those photos (apart from the last) are actually mine, they're just the ones i've managed to pinch from facebook.

Glad you enjoyed it ..wouldn't mind seeing some more photo's when you feel like uploading some

Yeah i'll drop some in here when i've sorted some out...

None of those photos (apart from the last) are actually mine, they're just the ones i've managed to pinch from facebook.

does that mean I can make comments about which girls would " get it"  in the top pic as none of them are your other half ? :)

How long did you go for? If you don't mind me asking how much approximately was it? Did you have a multi flight ticket or round the world? Sorry for all q's may be planning a trip myself and just trying to get as much info as possible

Thailand:

An absolute rollercoaster of a destination. We started off with city breaks in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, the latter being absolutely superb. Littered with temples and showcasing a fairly relaxed way of life, the Northern City was a definite highlight. Bangkok by contrast was an unfathomable metropolis of tourism and traffic, not worth the effort to visit despite the fun to be had on Khao San Road.

The highlight of Northern Thailand was a 3 day trek through the hills, staying with the local tribespeople. Exchanging stories and Manchester United-based banter around the campfire was unforgettable, and the basic accommodation had more than it's fair share of charm.

Heading south to the tourist mecca that is the Andaman coast blew my expectations out of the water, and not always in a positive way. Khao Lak and Khao Sok were picturesque, quiet and relatively untainted by tourism. Railay had unrivalled beauty, but this was our first taste of the backpackers scene, and those folk who "set out to find themselves" on a 2 week package holiday. The lonely planet crew weren't enough to put us off Railay, but things soon went down hill as we headed to Phi Phi. The less said about this place, the better, but it's a perfect example of how Thailand was all too ready to sell it's soul to the foreign dollar.

Leaving the prime tourist areas, we ended up in Koh Lanta, and absolutely stunning Island. Beaches that ran beyond the horizon dotted with amazing little bars and restaurants. The diving here matched the ambiance of the place, and things continued to get better and better as we headed through the lesser known Trang Islands of Koh Mook and Koh Ngai. 

Koh Lipe was a parting shot from the backpackers, reminding us that they can ruin any islan when they put their minds to it. A fun place to be, but another example of how Thailand fails to moderate it's tourist industry.

Thanks for the post, interesting to hear your thoughts about Thailand. 

How long did you stay in Bangkok? Did you venture down Sukhumvit? I ask as if my only experience of Bangkok was Khao San then i'd dislike it as well  :)  Its glad to read that there still are some quiet island and coastlines in Thailand.. i've just commented on a post on another thread that they don't seem to exisit anymore. Hopefully the places you went won't be overrun with tourists anytime soon.

How long did you go for? If you don't mind me asking how much approximately was it? Did you have a multi flight ticket or round the world? Sorry for all q's may be planning a trip myself and just trying to get as much info as possible

Being a complete travelling-novice at the time, i bought my tickets through roundtheworldexperts.co.uk. They basically arranged a multi stop ticket with Qantas (sharing tickets with Emirates). There are probably cheaper ways of doing it, but £1500 wasn't too bad.

Thailand:

An absolute rollercoaster of a destination. We started off with city breaks in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, the latter being absolutely superb. Littered with temples and showcasing a fairly relaxed way of life, the Northern City was a definite highlight. Bangkok by contrast was an unfathomable metropolis of tourism and traffic, not worth the effort to visit despite the fun to be had on Khao San Road.

The highlight of Northern Thailand was a 3 day trek through the hills, staying with the local tribespeople. Exchanging stories and Manchester United-based banter around the campfire was unforgettable, and the basic accommodation had more than it's fair share of charm.

Heading south to the tourist mecca that is the Andaman coast blew my expectations out of the water, and not always in a positive way. Khao Lak and Khao Sok were picturesque, quiet and relatively untainted by tourism. Railay had unrivalled beauty, but this was our first taste of the backpackers scene, and those folk who "set out to find themselves" on a 2 week package holiday. The lonely planet crew weren't enough to put us off Railay, but things soon went down hill as we headed to Phi Phi. The less said about this place, the better, but it's a perfect example of how Thailand was all too ready to sell it's soul to the foreign dollar.

Leaving the prime tourist areas, we ended up in Koh Lanta, and absolutely stunning Island. Beaches that ran beyond the horizon dotted with amazing little bars and restaurants. The diving here matched the ambiance of the place, and things continued to get better and better as we headed through the lesser known Trang Islands of Koh Mook and Koh Ngai. 

Koh Lipe was a parting shot from the backpackers, reminding us that they can ruin any islan when they put their minds to it. A fun place to be, but another example of how Thailand fails to moderate it's tourist industry.

How long did you stay in Bangkok? Did you venture down Sukhumvit? I ask as if my only experience of Bangkok was Khao San then i'd dislike it as well  :)  Its glad to read that there still are some quiet island and coastlines in Thailand.. i've just commented on a post on another thread that they don't seem to exisit anymore. Hopefully the places you went won't be overrun with tourists anytime soon.

We had 3 nights in Bangkok, went to the Grand Palace and weekend markets (as well as Khao San road). I didn't have anything against Bangkok, there was nothing that i particularly disliked, I just wouldn't chose to go there in lieu of some of the better places in the area.

There are still a couple of reasonably untainted islands, Koh Mook only had 2 resorts on it, Koh Ngai only a couple more. There are also plenty of Islands which haven't been touched by tourism at all, as well as national parks such as Turatao. Koh Lipe on the other hand is a recent addition to the tourist brochure, thanks to one of the locals selling his land to a property developer, and that is an island that has been completely saturated with resorts etc. 

Sounds like a great trip Shillz!! Thailand seems to have gone downhill a lot in the last few years judging by what several people have said. I was there this time 7 years ago and Phi Phi was heaven. It wasn't tainted with any of the western influences and was really quiet. Now it just seems like another Ibiza or Costa del sol resort. Would you recommend Borneo as a destination? Food good and that??

Sounds like a great trip Shillz!! Thailand seems to have gone downhill a lot in the last few years judging by what several people have said. I was there this time 7 years ago and Phi Phi was heaven. It wasn't tainted with any of the western influences and was really quiet. Now it just seems like another Ibiza or Costa del sol resort. Would you recommend Borneo as a destination? Food good and that??

Yeah i'd have to agree with that, there are still some nice places in Thailand, but Phi Phi certainly isn't one of them. It's not quite Magaluf, but I wouldn't recommend going there to anyone except the most discerning chav.

Borneo is pretty amazing. It's obviously still quite a poor area, so it's worth factoring that into your thinking (whether you'll appreciate that or not), but the scenery is pretty incredible. I would absolutely love to go there again, perhaps to do the half that I didn't do this time (Sabah). If you're thinking of going there you do have to bare in mind the kidnappings that have been happening in eastern Sabah. The FCO advises against travel to large parts of the country, so make sure you check that out if you're considering a visit.

Edited by Shillzz

Being a complete travelling-novice at the time, i bought my tickets through roundtheworldexperts.co.uk. They basically arranged a multi stop ticket with Qantas (sharing tickets with Emirates). There are probably cheaper ways of doing it, but £1500 wasn't too bad.

Thailand:

How long did you stay in Bangkok? Did you venture down Sukhumvit? I ask as if my only experience of Bangkok was Khao San then i'd dislike it as well :) Its glad to read that there still are some quiet island and coastlines in Thailand.. i've just commented on a post on another thread that they don't seem to exisit anymore. Hopefully the places you went won't be overrun with tourists anytime soon.

We had 3 nights in Bangkok, went to the Grand Palace and weekend markets (as well as Khao San road). I didn't have anything against Bangkok, there was nothing that i particularly disliked, I just wouldn't chose to go there in lieu of some of the better places in the area.

There are still a couple of reasonably untainted islands, Koh Mook only had 2 resorts on it, Koh Ngai only a couple more. There are also plenty of Islands which haven't been touched by tourism at all, as well as national parks such as Turatao. Koh Lipe on the other hand is a recent addition to the tourist brochure, thanks to one of the locals selling his land to a property developer, and that is an island that has been completely saturated with resorts etc.

I hated bangkok to be honest. The major tourist attractions did nothing for me, lots of people trying to scam me and just didnt enjoy it at all. I was with my gf though. If I was with ny mates than I maybe would have had a better time.

Chaing mai was much better. Loved the numerous markets, the people were much friendlier, the temples felt more authentic than bangkok, the food and drink was ridiculously cheap, not to mention the numerous activities such as treks and elephant rides. The perfect place for 2-3 days before hitting the beaches.

Still preferred cambodia over thailand though.

Edited by donnie

Â