UEFA Youth League

samjp26

why the dig at barca? are they the main beneficiaries of this?

cos from where im sat chelsea, man utd, arsenal and man city all gained a bigger advantage from this than barca did

More of a dig at the lot of them, rather than just Barca, apologies though.

Edited by samjp26

to be fair i did try looking to see where barca are in the spanish youth league and was struggling

i assume UEFA will use the excuse that not all european countries have a decent youth structure and therefore youth champions to put forward, but we do, which is why i made the comment about the FA doing something (but im under no illusion that they will) seems to strange to me that they are constantly rejigging youth football here to try and get it where they want it to be and then they do something as bullshit as this

as it stands it would be man city, everton, spurs and west ham from england next year, chelsea are 4th in the south league, arsenal are 9th 

In fairness, the Next Gen was an invitation only tournament, you couldn't qualify, you couldn't get into it by winning games - the fact that we were invited says good things about our academy, the fact that we won it means we're emotionally invested, but this wasn't a meritocracy that took the best they could find and brought them together for the good of the game - it was a European super league formed by a TV company without UEFA or FIFA - letting it survive set a very dangerous precedent for the future of UEFA's big midweek TV show.

Of course, the replacement, the Junior Champions League takes the qualification and puts it instead on the merits of other teams that play in the same shirts - you still can't qualify by being a good youth team, you still can't be a group of players that win your way in - either the first team you'd like to be in is good enough or its not. For UEFA, they've found another way to use the Champion's league brand and another way to stop their big boys eyeing up freedom. As a little bonus, they've made the academies of those clubs that little bit more attractive to the best youngsters.

Two bad leagues, but one keeps all of the people that need to be happy - happy.

I love football.

In fairness, the Next Gen was an invitation only tournament, you couldn't qualify, you couldn't get into it by winning games - the fact that we were invited says good things about our academy, the fact that we won it means we're emotionally invested, but this wasn't a meritocracy that took the best they could find and brought them together for the good of the game - it was a European super league formed by a TV company without UEFA or FIFA - letting it survive set a very dangerous precedent for the future of UEFA's big midweek TV show.

Of course, the replacement, the Junior Champions League takes the qualification and puts it instead on the merits of other teams that play in the same shirts - you still can't qualify by being a good youth team, you still can't be a group of players that win your way in - either the first team you'd like to be in is good enough or its not. For UEFA, they've found another way to use the Champion's league brand and another way to stop their big boys eyeing up freedom. As a little bonus, they've made the academies of those clubs that little bit more attractive to the best youngsters.

Two bad leagues, but one keeps all of the people that need to be happy - happy.

I love football.

Yep you hit the nail on the head mate.

Its a shame really, I hope that a new tournament will be developed but I doubt it will happen. Uefa have their iron grip firmly around the entire **** game.

Â