Central midfield

villanwesty88

It seems like we're really building a squad now and strengthening a lot of areas. The defence is looking a lot stronger on paper with the addition of Okore and hopefully Luna will do well too.

However the central midfield is still the area that needs attention. We have quite a few players that have played there and I still don't know what our best central midfield partnership is.

I was impressed with Sylla, Westwood and Delph towards the end of the season. Having said that I don't feel we have the quality to play a 2 man central midfield which at times is an option we need. 

Players that have featured in CM for us:

Sylla, Westwood, Delph, Bannan, Ireland, KEA, Herd, Gardner, Carruthers. We now have Bacuna who I think can play CM but is perhaps a more wide midfielder. 

I'd only keep those in bold out of that list and I'd loan out Carruthers and Gardner due to a lack of first team games and have Herd competing for RB. 

Looking at that list it lacks strength and quality which I felt put a lot of pressure on the defence. Whilst the defence was bad last season, the midfield left them exposed at times. 

We need a big strong presence in the midfield who is better than what we already have. Improving the first XI is the key for me. Would like a player in the mould of Okore/Benteke but who holds the midfield together.

Still a long way to go in the transfer window and I think we're playing our cards right. I'm sure PL is looking the the central midfield. I think we should shift a few before we sign anymore. 

Who would you get in CM? Do you think it needs improving?

• Like 1

Apparently Bacuna is a box-to-box midfielder according to his interviews and what people have said. IF we do sign Belhanda apparently he is ridiculously versatile. Starting out as a defender and defensive minded midfielder and blossoming into a player who is dangerous on the attack. So if we sign him, he could be the player you are mentioning here.

I think you might be underating Gardner a tad, whenever he's played I think the guy has looked great. Lots of potential and didn't look as out of his depth as others have when he's been thrown in. I don't think he needs a loan spell, then again on second thought he was injured all of last season so maybe a loan until Jan could help him regain his feet. Carruthers I'd agree with.

Honestly we only need someone like belhanda in our team and we are good,unless we ship out more to fill up our squad. It`s gonna be interesting to see if we will see more of Gardner, Carruthers being more active in our team next year. I reckon KEA also has a lot he wants to show us. I just hope that if we do end up in a hassle that Lambert has the opportunity to get someone in the January window if needed. 

I wish we would try to get V Wanyama. Seeing clubs like Soton and Cardiff battling over him, then I feel Villa should be a more tempting destination. At least as long as no top 5 clubs seems to fancy him any more. Of course, would be a def minded midfielder, and should be much better choice than Sylla (he did impress me in final stage of season though) and I think we would see more attacking skills from Delph and Westwood. With that said, I really hope Gardner will be back in great shape. I have big hopes for him.

Sylla, Westwood and Delph in midfield worked really well IMO, but who could replace them when injuries and suspensions occur? Gardner would hopefully be great and somewhat like a new player for us, but I feel the midfield should be strengthened with at least 1 player, at least for the defensive role. In the attacking role I think we have good enough options, as more attacking players can play in that role IMO, but if that would happen the defensive role should be strengthened. 

Our central three (Westwood, Delph and Sylla) were excellent near the end of the season. I'd expect at least two of them to start next season depending on future transfers.

Edited by packoman
  • Like 1

Central midfield is very very weak. Its one of the weakest in the division

I'd agree with this.

Even though at the end of last season we found a system that worked it was still very noticeable how weak it was.

I think and hope once we get rid of a few players we recruit in this department.

I still think we need more strength and steel in the middle. A big tall brute of a player, like Wanyama, would make me a lot more confident. I like Sylla, but still think we need more physicality and a towering presence in there.

Our central three (Westwood, Delph and Sylla) were excellent near the end of the season. I'd expect at least two of them to start next season depending on future transfers.

I agree, I just worry is one of them is out and also think we're too reliant on playing 3 in the middle. Whilst I like playing 3 in the middle it would be nice to have the option of a 4-4-2 occasionally.

to look at our central midfielders so far, the only defensive mids are sylla and herd

so assuming sylla starts, herd is a good back up, alhough hes also a good back up at RB, and what if we need herd at RB whos then going to cover sylla? or cover lowton when hes in for sylla?

that scenario is very unlikely however but it makes you wonder, we definitely need a DM, thats clear, we have many box to box player, which isnt by all means a bad thing, but it does create a headache as to who to use, westwood/bacuna/delph/el ahmadi

Â