Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

Seeing as people on here were talking about DAVIS in the £5m-6m mold, I'm pretty sure Taylor would fetch a little bit more than that with that thinking.

£7m would be my bet.

Davis is a full international, taylor isn't.

I think if Taylor was from Northern Ireland he would be probably be captain! I have to admit every time I've seen Pompy play he has always been the best player for me but it could just be I've never watched the games when his been crap.

Have we been linked to this player at all because we seem to be talking as if its a done deal?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 million is ridiculous.

But paying this for Ashley Young may well have set a bench mark for other clubs to fleece us.

Only if you think Taylor is anywhere near young, which he isnt.

Exactly. Not only that, I doubt there is much potential for improvement in Taylor as I think he is about as good as he ever will be.

CV will cream himself if we did sign him though!

The thing that makes me positive we can nick him off Pompey is that Harry Redknapp is a wheeler dealer, he'll take the money as he knows he can use it. There arent too many managers as willing to sell as he is.

In terms of price, well my first thought was £8 million. Pretty top end and £5 million or so would sit alot better.

i wasn't bothered when we paid £8m for Young because he is still very young

If we spend £8m on Taylor i would be angry as he is not worth anywhere that much and it would be a blatent waste of money.

Basically my thoughts on the subject too.

Taylor would be a great squad addition but going by the rule of thumb that 'anyone coming in will be an improvement on the quality we have', I'm not convinced. I'd rather see Young/Maloney on the wings if we aren't buying an out an out left winger, unless we played Young on the left and went for Govou from Lyon, that would be tasty.

i wasn't bothered when we paid £8m for Young because he is still very young

If we spend £8m on Taylor i would be angry as he is not worth anywhere that much and it would be a blatent waste of money.

Basically my thoughts on the subject too.

TBH the price doesn't bother me that much.

I don't think MON has been given a specific budget to work to so i don't think paying £8 million for taylor will stop us from getting other players.

If MON wants Taylor and Randy is prepared to pay what ever it costs to bring him in then that can only be a good thing.

Yeah LM I think I'd be more flabbergasted than annoyed. I just don't think MON would rate him at £8m either - but if he does, then I'm sure I'll get over it :)

Taylor is not the Portsmouth lynchpin, he is not the player in that team that makes everything tick and he doesn't grab games by the scruff of the neck.

Who would you say was then?

I think the string-pullers in the Pompey team are Gary O'Neil & Sean Davis with Pedro Mendez in a class of his own on his day. Kranjcar is also becoming more influential in the side.

Has there been anymore concrete rumours or news on this or are we just speculating?

Pure unadulterated speculation :nod: And keep your oxymorons to yourself ;)(concrete rumours)

Aside from shooting, what can he actually do? I've never been that impressed with him really, when we played them at VP this season he was largely annonymous.

thats a bit unfair because the whole Pompy time was apart from David James. What about when we played them Fratton Park. Scored a great header and penalty. When a player is made captain of any premiership team he is not an average player. (I'm sure il be corrected now with examples).

(I'm sure il be corrected now with examples).

If you insist :lol: I'll see your comment and raise you a Phil Neville :)

I kinda hoped MON would bring in a similar player to young to play on the left.

Me too. It would be a nice balance if we did. It would be nice if we had a pacey threat from both wings, it's so much harder to defend against. Unless a player has a great cross, I'd go for pace on the wing every time.

Maloney?