Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

Is Bent going to Spuds confirmed?? Or are taking the word of the spudder that posts on here sometimes!!

Nope it's where I see him going. I do know he doesn't want to leave London as I play 5 a side with a very good mate of his.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Bent going to Spuds confirmed?? Or are taking the word of the spudder that posts on here sometimes!!

Or maybe it's that and people's obsession with rating them higher than ourselves for some reason even though we've proved already that we can beat them in a straight fight when we took Ashley FROM THEIR FELLOW LONDON SIDE and bought him to villa park, the fact of the matter is Darren isn't stupid, he'll have Keane breathing down his neck down there and with us he'd be a king so i think we'll get him if Mon wants him.

Well if Spurs sign Bent then you can bet your bottom dollar either Defoe or Berbatov are off! The former maybe to us, the latter definitely not to us.

I'd take Berbatov, Bent or Keane.. that other ahem "Striker" no thanks!!

Or maybe it's that and people's obsession with rating them higher than ourselves for some reason even though we've proved already that we can beat them in a straight fight when we took Ashley FROM THEIR FELLOW LONDON SIDE and bought him to villa park, the fact of the matter is Darren isn't stupid, he'll have Keane breathing down his neck down there and with us he'd be a king so i think we'll get him if Mon wants him.

As I said though, it could signal the sale of Berbatov.

I don't think he would be a king with us.

Carew starting seems nailed on and anyone coming in and taking the place of Gabby / Luke will have to perform outstandingly to remove two local lads from the affections of the masses. And because we got ONE player - Ashley - that spurs may have been interested in, doesn't mean that we would get Bent.

Oh and Watford aint in London, in fact some days it's probably easier to drive into Brum.

..... Berbatov .... He's being linked with a move away from Spurs and although he may well go to Mancs or Chelsea etc we do have leverage perhaps with Petrov and the MON factor!

Well, 'he's being linked' in the same way that everyday we all read dozens of media-froth speculations about player X being pursued by club Y ... most of them are based on little or nothing and are simply efforts to gain attention/readers/viewers.

The chances of Berbatov being sold this summer are zero. Spurs are not some struggling, cash-strapped club that needs to keep making profits on player sales in order to survive. On the contrary, we are wealthy club that may well finish 5th for the 2nd season running.

Far from selling Berbatov (who is probably one of the five or six best strikers in the whole of Europe), this summer you will see Spurs spending big to significantly strengthen the squad.

The player himself is happy and not unsettled (unlike the Carrick situation): he's scored loads of goals and has been voted into the PFA team of the season. He knows that Spurs have top 4 ambitions, can see that we are knocking on the door, knows we have a substantial war-chest to spend this summer and knows we are likely to mount our strongest challenge yet for top 4 next season. Plenty of reasons there to want to remain part of a developing team. His agent says he definitely wants to stay at Spurs next season (and agents are notorious for touting deals if they think it might be a possibility).

Apart from anything else, Berbatov is a complicated character. Shows loyalty (he turned down a late offer from Man. U last summer because he'd already given his word to Spurs, despite no signed contract). Reads a lot of books, likes driving around London to explore obscure neighbourhoods, paints pictures for a hobby. Not yer average follow-the-money footballer.

Spurs have a contract with Berbatov that runs - should the club so choose - until the summer of 2011. So there is no contract-expiry pressure to sell (unlike the Carrick situation).

In the summer of 2008 or 2009, if we haven't made top 4, then maybe Berbatov will be sold. But not now, pretty much regardless of how much dosh is offered.

As I said though, it could signal the sale of Berbatov.

Oh well if that occurs Yakubu will still be around :winkold: , or even the fantastic Farfan at PSV who nearly went to Pompy last season for 6m, there's quality out there it's just up to Mon to find it,

And on another subject, i was looking at a few Celtic sites to see what they think about us getting Boruc and they are steaming!! lol, many starting to diss Mon now, even after all he did for them, and they've started calling us "Aston celtic" lol, well as long as we keep taking their best players they can call us the "Celtic juniors" for all i care!!, :D

They claim Boruc is the best keeper in the clubs history so he might be something a bit special if we manage to get him.

Sorry but if Berbatov was approached, by Barca, Arse, ManU, RedScouse, Real Madrid, Milan or any of the top european sides, he'd be off like a shot..... Another year, another spurs fan talking about cups and CL.... face it aint gonna happen, we will finish above you next year and you'll be in your customary 12th - 8th slot!!

The fact that Berbatov will be leaving them may very well influence Spurs to try and get another Striker in the Bent envelope. However, I donot think he will end up there.

Still I may be wrong

Sorry but if Berbatov was approached, by Barca, Arse, ManU, RedScouse, Real Madrid, Milan or any of the top european sides, he'd be off like a shot.....

I completely agree with the sentiments although I don't think he would join Arsenal or Liverpool (unless Spurs accepted the offer). If Barca or Madrid come in for him there is no doubt in my mind that he would be off. I would expect Juve to be looking to sign a player like Berbatov too.

I don't think he would be a king with us.

Carew starting seems nailed on and anyone coming in and taking the place of Gabby / Luke will have to perform outstandingly to remove two local lads from the affections of the masses. And because we got ONE player - Ashley - that spurs may have been interested in, doesn't mean that we would get Bent.

Oh and Watford aint in London, in fact some days it's probably easier to drive into Brum.

If we spent over 12m on him he would be a king!!!, and regardless of who we bring in i don't think the fans would lose their affections for the two young lads!!, they'll still be very much in the plans for where this club is going, and i agree it doesn't mean we would get Bent, but at least we've PROVEN we can beat them when we both go head to head, that was my point.

Well if Spurs sign Bent then you can bet your bottom dollar either Defoe or Berbatov are off! The former maybe to us, the latter definitely not to us.

I agree with this, but put your bottom dollar on Defoe ... there is not the slightest possibility of Berbatov being sold.

Agree with that Cyber

In addition, as we well know, fans do not pick the team. The Manager does, else Luke Moore would have started 8 games ago, Agbonlahor would have been dropped and played again, Bouma would not have got a game this season and JPA would still be in the team.

ANd Lee Hendrie would have driven us to a top 6 finish this year :lol:

I agree with this, but put your bottom dollar on Defoe ... there is not the slightest possibility of Berbatov being sold.

Unless a big side come in for him...

..... Berbatov .... He's being linked with a move away from Spurs and although he may well go to Mancs or Chelsea etc we do have leverage perhaps with Petrov and the MON factor!

Well, 'he's being linked' in the same way that everyday we all read dozens of media-froth speculations about player X being pursued by club Y ... most of them are based on little or nothing and are simply efforts to gain attention/readers/viewers.

The chances of Berbatov being sold this summer are zero. Spurs are not some struggling, cash-strapped club that needs to keep making profits on player sales in order to survive. On the contrary, we are wealthy club that may well finish 5th for the 2nd season running.

Far from selling Berbatov (who is probably one of the five or six best strikers in the whole of Europe), this summer you will see Spurs spending big to significantly strengthen the squad.

The player himself is happy and not unsettled (unlike the Carrick situation): he's scored loads of goals and has been voted into the PFA team of the season. He knows that Spurs have top 4 ambitions, can see that we are knocking on the door, knows we have a substantial war-chest to spend this summer and knows we are likely to mount our strongest challenge yet for top 4 next season. Plenty of reasons there to want to remain part of a developing team. His agent says he definitely wants to stay at Spurs next season (and agents are notorious for touting deals if they think it might be a possibility).

Apart from anything else, Berbatov is a complicated character. Shows loyalty (he turned down a late offer from Man. U last summer because he'd already given his word to Spurs, despite no signed contract). Reads a lot of books, likes driving around London to explore obscure neighbourhoods, paints pictures for a hobby. Not yer average follow-the-money footballer.

Spurs have a contract with Berbatov that runs - should the club so choose - until the summer of 2011. So there is no contract-expiry pressure to sell (unlike the Carrick situation).

In the summer of 2008 or 2009, if we haven't made top 4, then maybe Berbatov will be sold. But not now, pretty much regardless of how much dosh is offered.

Again you talk is if this "war chest in the summer" is a FACT when you've admitted before it's a RUMOUR, and furthermore you can very easliy finish ninth as well as fifth so nothing is set in stone, do you think you'll be the only one spending this summer?, i can assure you your lot will have us to contend with next season so this so called "banging on the top four" fantasy you've got is not a formality!!, and also Spurs fans were saying the same thing regarding Carrick last summer, how "he's not for sale" even after you had nearly got in the champs league and still he left your arses without hesitation, you need to understand when the top four come calling if the player wants to go HE WILL GO!!, Berbatov is not a fool, who's he more likely to win stuff with Spurs of Manure? :roll: , you say you're getting Bent but if i was Jol i'd focus on your defence as its one of the worst in the league.

Sorry but if Berbatov was approached, by Barca, Arse, ManU, RedScouse, Real Madrid, Milan or any of the top european sides, he'd be off like a shot.....

He isn't unhappy or unsettled, but even if we assume that he is (for arguement's sake) , there's the small matter of a signed contract running until 2011. You seem to think it's simply up a player when they leave. It isn't. The club decide. If they don't want or need the money and they want to keep a player, then he stays.

... ... we will finish above you next year and you'll be in your customary 12th - 8th slot!!

Well, anything is possible. I don't want to get involved in a slanging match.

You seem to think it's simply up a player when they leave. It isn't. The club decide

Sorry but that just demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what actually happens in the real world of football.

Spurs are far from having a warchest. I've got a pal who is involved at Spurs and I know that, as unbelievable as it sounds, Jol is under pressure to deliver. The board wanted CL qual. this year and they might not even get Uefa at this point. Everyone knows that Spurs invested in youth which is admirable, but what people don't realise is that the investment was about 60m pounds since Jol took over. Any manager who spends at that level will be expected to deliver. Also, like any club that spends at that level, they've not much left in the kitty. They might spend a few quid tweaking here and there but any big signing will have to be funded by sales.

i.e why the rumours about Keane, Defoe and Berbatov persist even though Jol doesn't want to sell any of them

You seem to think it's simply up a player when they leave. It isn't. The club decide

Sorry but that just demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what actually happens in the real world of football.

Somewhere between the two lies what really happens.

Transfers can be instigated by clubs AND players. Both to the chagrin of the other, there are plenty of examples where a player has moved because HE wanted to and also plenty of transfers where the player never wanted to move but found the club had accepted a deal and therefore realised it would be better to move on.