Sky broadband

Dodgyknees

Moved house and because the previous person who lived there had sky, decided to go for it too. So on 26-1 I took out a contract with sky and was given 6-2 as the connection date (no idea why so long!) I was then informed that no engineer would need to come in as it was already a live connection.

So, we moved in on 27th,got the router the day after and waited for connection.

Problem is the connection didn't go live yesterday. :(

Are Sky usually behind?

Have you tried ringing them and asking them?

Their broadband is a little unreliable from what I've experienced, but their customer service is usually pretty good. I'd just give them a ring if I were you.

I had massive problems with getting sky to send me a flipping router. Took them 6 weeks and several angry phone calls. Give them a ring and see what they say, I found the broadband department utterly hopeless, full of empty promises and 'computer says no' excuses. In the end the TV marketing department gave me a courtesy call to see how I was getting on and flummoxed at the incompetence of the broadband department and sent me a router special delivery. Not sure whether they got someone senior to ring me because I gave them a cancellation deadline, but it was a shocking experience.

Best of luck with it. If they mess you about cause a fuss, I felt they only started taking me seriously when I got annoyed.

THey just read a script in the broadband department when you ring them.

They'll find you a solution, but it usually takes until the guy on the phone gets stumped and has to escalate it to someone who actually knows what he's talking about to get it done.

I changed from BT Infinity to Sky couple of months back and the changeover was literally <5 mins. Really slick. Haven't had a moments trouble from them either (no I don't work for them). Just my experience.

I had a nightmare with Sky Broadband.  Had it for 4 years and it would drop out or slow dramatically (for a few days at a time) probably 3 or 4 times a year.

I just switched to Plusnet fibre optic and all good so far.  And because I got a good deal on Quidco I'm actually making a saving on what I was paying for phone and regular broadband with Sky!

I had a nightmare with Sky Broadband.  Had it for 4 years and it would drop out or slow dramatically (for a few days at a time) probably 3 or 4 times a year.

That was happenign to me for a while.

Phoned them up and they ended up sending out an engineer. Apparently my line was corroded or something! Anyway, he fxed it and it's been perfect ever since.

The phonecall to them took ages, which was a bit frustrating (they make you double and triple check all your equipment, including your phone, because if they send an engineer out and it's a problem with your equipment you get charged for the callout). BUt once they'd done that it was pretty swift.

I've had Sky broadband for about 6 years now, generally they and it are excellent. When there is a problem though they do make you go through a very annoying process of trying steps 1 to X and it is especially frustrating when you know it is because your route is ****.

They won't send you a new router though until they've sent you a new power cable to try that first, so a little tip, tell them you've borrowed one from a friend and it didn't work and insist they skip this stage. Make sure though you tell them it is exactly the same modem and exactly the same power cable a friend tried this and told them he used a multi purpose cable and adapter and it didn't work.

Oh and the other thing if you have a period of outage make sure they credit your account for the lost coverage and check the bill they tend to 'forget'.

I'd been using the Sky Broadband+Phone package for the last two years. Phone was fine but the Broadband kept dropping out on me and on occasion, really slow, even though i live close to an exchange. I called Sky several times concerning the Broadband and each time was told that they would put a boost on the line for approximately ten days. Within each ten day period my broadband speeded up considerably but then gradually went back to the same problem again. Rather than ringing them again i just put up with it until my bills started to go wrong.

One evening i switched the TV on to watch a game and found that my Sky TV had been cut off. I contacted Sky right away and was told there wasn't enough funding in my account to cover the bill. When i enquired how much the bill was, it was twice the normal bill. Apparently Sky did not take the previous month's payment because of some fault on their side, so i stomped up the extra cash and all was well again. I was assured that my next month's bill would be back to normal.

Fast forward a month later and my Sky TV was stopped again. I contacted Sky right away and asked what the problem was? Got the answer lack of funding in my account. I again asked for the amount outstanding on my account and was given a figure more than my normal bill. Something to do with calls i hadn't made so i then hit the angry button and told them i wouldn't be paying anymore until they sorted my account out. The Sky operator told me she would speak with her manager in the morning and someone would ring me back.

Surprise, surprise, no-one called me and i just said to myself **** them. At the end of the following month i got a Sky bill through the post billing me for the previous month's services even though all my Sky services had been cut for a month. I used my mobile and rang Sky for the last time. I asked why i was now being billed for services than i hadn't used and was told it was their mistake and did i want to pay the outstanding balance to get re-connected again.

Couldn't repeat what i said to them.

I'm now using a Post Office Broadband+Phone package which although only slightly more expensive, it is worth it. Their Broadband is much faster and their customer service is first class. I don't have Sky Sports anymore but whenever we are on Sky i get the use of a very fetching neighbour's Sky Sports and she's single. :mrgreen:

Edited by Morpheus

Â