College sports - general chat

leviramsey

I was so mad that I shut it off with OSU down by 14 with 8 minutes left.

They couldnt do anything. I was positive they were going to lose. That was probably the worst game they've played all year. They were down 14-0 in the first 2 minutes.

Crazy...

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

Do they have defence in college games? Always seems to be loads of high scores about 

There's loads of reasons but here are a few.

• The field is only so large, but in the NFL, all of the defensive players are that much faster, which means they can cover the field more easily. NFL’s narrower hash marks remove the advantage of running to the wide side of the field.
  • Many college teams run the spread which generates huge offensive numbers, but this typically requires quarterbacks to run more. NFL teams rarely integrate a lot of quarterback rushing into their offenses because NFL quarterbacks are too valuable and NFL defenders - who are much bigger, stronger and faster than college defenders - will destroy them (See RG3).
  • The spread favors quickness over strength. But in the NFL, all the defenders are quick, so the spread is less effective.
  • College offenses generally are all about putting your talented people in space to exploit 1–1 matchups. The tackling is much better in the NFL, so this strategy doesn’t work as well.
  • There are generally fewer varieties of offense in the NFL than college, so defenses are more familiar with what they’re facing. In college you might face an NFL style offense one week, a spread the next, and a triple-option the next. This is very hard for defenses to adapt to.
  • The clock issues Stephen Haddock mentions allows more plays (the clock in college stops after every first down).
  • More college teams run the hurry-up, which means more plays and more scoring. All those plays make defenses more tired, which means more scoring.
  • Good teams play a lot of bad teams and run up the score. There is much more parity in the NFL.
  • The talent level, even among equally matched teams, is so uneven. Even a decent defense may have a senior, pro-quality cornerback on one side, and a redshirt freshman on the other side. College teams are going to find the weaknesses and pick on them with their best offensive weapons. These differences are much more subtle in the NFL and it’s harder to find a defensive player to pick on.
  • One could also argue that NFL coaches are much more conservative, with good reason. There are hundreds of millions of dollars at stake. New offenses entail much more risk - to QBs, to holding leads, etc. So perhaps there is more innovation happening in college (I’m guessing here).
  • Like 1

There are loads of  big games today  and tonight .  Should be a great day of games.

link

Make-or-break games

No. 1 Georgia at No. 10 Auburn, CBS, 3:30 p.m.: There's a lot of talk about both Georgia and Alabama getting into the playoff this season, and for good reason. I mean, both are currently ranked No. 1 and No. 2 and could be undefeated when they meet in Atlanta in early December.

But there's another SEC team that can throw a wrench in the plans, as Auburn still gets to play both teams, beginning on Saturday when the Tigers play host to the Bulldogs. Yes, Georgia has big wins over Notre Dame and Mississippi State, but its spent the last five weeks beating up on mediocre SEC East fare. This Auburn team will be its toughest test in a while.

No. 3 Notre Dame at No. 7 Miami (Fla.), ABC, 8 p.m.: Miami fans may have wanted to declare that "The U is back" after last week's win over Virginia Tech, but I'm of a mind to say that The U won't be back unless it beats Notre Dame. If it does, then we can officially declare it BACK.

This is a huge game for both. As a team without a conference, it's somewhat imperative that the Fighting Irish win out of they want to keep their playoff hopes alive, and a win over Miami would just add to an already impressive resume.

For Miami, this would be the win that punches its card as a legit playoff contender. There's no better way to convince the committee you're one of the four best teams in the country than by going out and beating one.

No. 6 TCU at No. 5 Oklahoma, Fox, 8 p.m.: This could be the first of two meetings we see between these teams in the coming weeks. Both teams are currently atop the Big 12 standings, and a loss here wouldn't eliminate either from the conference title race.

A loss could eliminate them from something else that's somewhat important, however: the College Football Playoff.

No. 12 Michigan State at No. 13 Ohio State, Fox, noon: This is a different kind of make-or-break game. While I wouldn't consider it likely, given the current landscape of college football, it's not entirely crazy to believe we could see a two-loss team in the playoff this season.

Well, these are both two-loss teams, and both are still alive for a Big Ten title. The winner of this game gets a chokehold on the East, and if it can go on to beat an undefeated Wisconsin, maybe that's enough to push it into the top four. What's a certainty is that the loser will have no playoff life left.

Maintain your position games

No. 20 Iowa at No. 8 Wisconsin, ABC, 3:30 p.m.:: A critical game for Wisconsin, as is every game for the Badgers from here on out. Iowa beating Ohio State may have been the best thing to happen to Wisconsin this year. Not only did it lead to Iowa being ranked, giving the Badgers a chance to add a top 25 win to the resume, but should the Badgers get to the Big Ten title game at 12-0, they might not have to play Ohio State! No offense to Michigan State, but if you're Wisconsin, which one would you rather play?

Florida State at No. 4 Clemson, ESPN, 3:30 p.m.: Who could have predicted this game would have lacked such appeal before the season began? Essentially at this point, Florida State is just another run-of-the-mill team that Clemson needs to get to so it can stay in the top four. Hell, it's possible that unless Clemson looks impressive, beating the Seminoles might not be enough to keep that top four spot anyway.

No. 2 Alabama at No. 16 Mississippi State, ESPN, 7 p.m.: The equation for Alabama is simple. Just keep winning, and you'll get another shot at a national title. Standing in its way this week is Mississippi State, and the Bulldogs just might be the best team Alabama's faced this year.

Conference Implications

55 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

There are loads of  big games today  and tonight .  Should be a great day of games.

So, ahem, for those of us needing a QB next year. Which game would be a good one to watch?

19 minutes ago, Tegis said:

So, ahem, for those of us needing a QB next year. Which game would be a good one to watch?

Pretty much any games which involve these guys. I suspect Denver and Jacksonville will be drafting in the lower half next year so I'd rule out the top 5 unless you trade up (Which I suspect Jax may do).

If I'm not watching the Gators I usually watch Mayfield and Jackson as I think they're on the Jags board.  I do watch Darnold sometimes just to see how awesome he looks in the pocket . I've never seen a kid that young show such poise.  The two Josh's are excellent .Rudolph and Falk are very very good as well.

Sam Darnold
USC6'4"

Mason Rudolph
Oklahoma State6'4"

Josh Rosen
UCLA6'3"

Luke Falk
Washington State6'3"

Lamar Jackson
Louisville6'2"

Josh Allen
Wyoming6'5"

Ryan Finley
North Carolina St6'4"
-

Clayton Thorson
Northwestern6'4"

Riley Ferguson
Memphis6'4"

Jake Browning
Washington6'2"

Baker Mayfield
Oklahoma6'0"

Nic Shimonek
Texas Tech6'3"

Jarrett Stidham
Auburn6'3"

Max Browne
Pittsburgh6'4"

J.T. Barrett
Ohio State6'1"

Austin Allen
Arkansas6'1"

• Like 2

The support and attendances in NCAAF is mental! Like yu said looks so much more fun than NFL

While crowds go down in NFL it seems that isn't the case in College football

Is there a legal way to watch the games? Like a college gamepass or something? 

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

The support and attendances in NCAAF is mental! Like yu said looks so much more fun than NFL

While crowds go down in NFL it seems that isn't the case in College football

Is there a legal way to watch the games? Like a college gamepass or something? 

https://www.espnplayer.com/page/ncaa

You can buy a monthly pass for £19.99.

• Like 1

These are the games on ESPN player today. All times are UK.

Saturday, November 11

MATCHUP   TIME  (GMT) NAT TV LOCATION  
127.png&h=50
#12Michigan State
5:00 PM   Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH  
164.png&h=50
Rutgers
5:00 PM   Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA  
197.png&h=50
#15Oklahoma State
5:00 PM ESPNPlayer Jack Trice Stadium, Ames, IA  
41.png&h=50
Connecticut
2116.png&h=50
#18UCF
5:00 PM ESPNPlayer Spectrum Stadium, Orlando, FL  
152.png&h=50
#23NC State
5:00 PM ESPNPlayer Alumni Stadium , Chestnut Hill, MA  
8.png&h=50
Arkansas
99.png&h=50
#24LSU
5:00 PM ESPNPlayer Tiger Stadium , Baton Rouge, LA  
150.png&h=50
Duke
5:00 PM   Michie Stadium, West Point, NY  
2641.png&h=50
Texas Tech
5:00 PM   AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX  
309.png&h=50
Louisiana
5:00 PM ESPNPlayer Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Oxford, MS  
57.png&h=50
Florida
5:00 PM   Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SC  
84.png&h=50
Indiana
5:00 PM   Memorial Stadium , Champaign, IL  
158.png&h=50
Nebraska
5:00 PM   TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN  
259.png&h=50
#17Virginia Tech
5:20 PM   Bobby Dodd Stadium, Atlanta, GA  
2393.png&h=50
Middle Tennessee
7:00 PM ESPNPlayer McColl-Richardson Field, Charlotte, NC  
154.png&h=50
Wake Forest
8:00 PM   Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY  
61.png&h=50
#1Georgia
2.png&h=50
#10Auburn
8:30 PM   Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, AL  
52.png&h=50
Florida State
8:30 PM ESPNPlayer Memorial Stadium , Clemson, SC  
2294.png&h=50
#20Iowa
8:30 PM ESPNPlayer Camp Randall Stadium, Madison, WI  
258.png&h=50
Virginia
8:30 PM ESPNPlayer Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, Louisville, KY  
130.png&h=50
Michigan
8:30 PM   Maryland Stadium, College Park, MD  
277.png&h=50
West Virginia
8:30 PM ESPNPlayer Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS  
2567.png&h=50
SMU
8:30 PM   Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, Annapolis, MD  
2226.png&h=50
Florida Atlantic
8:30 PM   Joe Aillet Stadium, Ruston, LA  
2572.png&h=50
Southern Mississippi
8:30 PM   Rice Stadium, Houston, TX  
30.png&h=50
#11USC
9:00 PM   Folsom Field, Boulder, CO  
311.png&h=50
Maine
9:00 PM   Fenway Park, Boston, MA  
2247.png&h=50
Georgia State
9:00 PM ESPNPlayer Bobcat Stadium , San Marcos, TX  
23.png&h=50
San Jose State
9:00 PM ESPNPlayer Mackay Stadium, Reno, NV  
96.png&h=50
Kentucky
9:00 PM ESPNPlayer Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, TN  
2653.png&h=50
Troy
9:30 PM ESPNPlayer Brooks Stadium, Conway, SC  
2032.png&h=50
Arkansas State
10:00 PM ESPNPlayer Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, AL  
2638.png&h=50
UTEP
10:00 PM ESPNPlayer Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX  
265.png&h=50
#19Washington State
10:30 PM   Rice-Eccles Stadium, Salt Lake City, UT  
2305.png&h=50
Kansas
11:00 PM ESPNPlayer Royal Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX  
98.png&h=50
Western Kentucky
11:30 PM   Joan C. Edwards Stadium, Huntington, WV  
333.png&h=50
#2Alabama
12:00 AM ESPNPlayer Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS  
2509.png&h=50
Purdue
12:00 AM ESPNPlayer Ryan Field, Evanston, IL  
5.png&h=50
UAB
12:00 AM   Alamodome, San Antonio, TX  
2655.png&h=50
Tulane
12:00 AM   Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, Greenville, NC  
167.png&h=50
New Mexico
12:00 AM ESPNPlayer Kyle Field, College Station, TX  
295.png&h=50
Old Dominion
12:00 AM   FIU Stadium, Miami, FL  
2633.png&h=50
Tennessee
12:30 AM ESPNPlayer Memorial Stadium/Faurot Field, Columbia, MO  
87.png&h=50
#3Notre Dame
2390.png&h=50
#7Miami
1:00 AM ESPNPlayer Hard Rock Stadium, Miami, FL  
2628.png&h=50
#6TCU
1:00 AM   Memorial Stadium , Norman, OK  
9.png&h=50
Arizona State
2:30 AM   Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA  
204.png&h=50
Oregon State
3:00 AM ESPNPlayer Arizona Stadium, Tucson, AZ  
2751.png&h=50
Wyoming
3:15 AM ESPNPlayer Falcon Stadium, Usaf Academy, CO  
68.png&h=50
Boise State
3:30 AM   CSU Stadium, Fort Collins, CO  
278.png&h=50
Fresno State
4:00 AM   Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, HI
  • Like 1

BT sport show plenty of college football too. Currently showing Florida@South Carolina and Oklahoma State@Iowa State. Later tonight is Iowa@Wisconsin if you want to see Jump Around live! Georgia@Auburn which should be a cracker and in the early hours Notre Dame@Miami 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

BT sport show plenty of college football too. Currently showing Florida@South Carolina and Oklahoma State@Iowa State. Later tonight is Iowa@Wisconsin if you want to see Jump Around live! Georgia@Auburn which should be a cracker and in the early hours Notre Dame@Miami 

I'm flicking between the two BT games . Pretty lucky to get UF and Rudolph together on my telly games. 

(I'm watching Arkansas v LSU on the tablet) Guice is bloody good.

Edited by Brumerican

I will watch the Georgia Auburn game later. 

Only been to one college game. Way back in 2004 at the old Citrus bowl in Orlando. UCF v Northern Illinois. I've sort of followed the ups and downs of UCF since. Definitely an up year this year! 

Am hoping to get to a big game next year as a really big game is on bucket list 

• Like 1

Â