Are you ready for some football?--2012

BerniesElbow

Ahem, you do know you just predicted 4 week old fixtures ;)

Dammit!! Girl brains BOF, girl brains on 1.5 hours of sleep and a 3 mile run and....who cares, girl brains.

How about this, I always want the Steelers to lose, New England to explode, The Bears, The Broncos, and The Dolphins to do well....unless playing the Jaguars, and the Jags to win a little more than they lose. So obviously nothing I want out of football ever happens. EVER.

Still, at least you get to see how well your predictions did, straight away :)

*laughing*

I'm pretty good at it I must say :)

I really haven't been able to watch most games this season so far. And when I have it's been veeeeeeeery depressing. *for me* I'm about to be on holiday *in brum* so I will get caught up on everything AND go to a Villa game while I'm there!!!

The Jaguars have already made me feel ill this season. This will not be a fun year of football for me.

I heard that the Jaguars could potentially be moved to L.A.....what have you heard regarding that?

I heard that the Jaguars could potentially be moved to L.A.....what have you heard regarding that?

Levi is most likely right on this. The L.A. rumours have been around for about 2 seasons. But when the new owner came on it was agreed he wouldn't be able to sell us for a certain amount of time. I think he is stuck with us for a few seasons. I love my team but they are a sad state.

The owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Shahid Khan, flies to London this week to begin the serious business of promoting his team to a British audience. This is not just a lark, his plan to play one home game per season in London for four consecutive seasons, beginning in 2013. Khan is determined that the Jaguars become England's NFL team, and perhaps Europe's, over the next few years, and he sees it as part of the plan of the Jaguars' long-term future in Jacksonville.

"This past game,'' Khan told me Friday, "I met half a dozen fans who came from England to Jacksonville for our game, just because of the announcement that we'll be playing there for the next four years. I'm hoping that we establish ourselves as the NFL team people follow in London. We view it as a way to grow our fan base.''

It seems outlandish to think of Londoners taking road trips to Jacksonville to see an American football game. But what if it's a Jacksonville-golf-Disney World-South Beach combo platter week of fun? Who knows if the Jaguars can dent the English sports scene, or the European one. But the Pakistani-born Khan's going to try.

He will make BBC and Sky Sports appearances while in England, and he'll meet members of Parliament anxious for an influx of American sport. He and kicker Josh Scobee will be guests at England's World Cup 2014 qualifier against San Marino Friday night at Wembley Stadium. Scobee will have some sort of kicking exhibition at halftime of the game, and he'll be in England to help promote the team in this, the Jags' bye week. On Thursday, Khan and NFL executive Mark Waller, a London native, will announce the Jags' opponent for the Oct. 27, 2013 game.

Khan is so bullish on the prospect of the team's reach into Europe that he told me it's "highly likely'' Jacksonville may eventually play two home games a year in Europe. Now, if you're a Jaguars fan, before getting apoplectic over the prospect of losing a second home game per season, understand that this is all about fanbase-building, revenue generation and, eventually, free agent and guaranteed-money competition with the league's haves.

"I think our fans understand we're trying to grow our brand and grow the Jaguars,'' Khan said. "Look at anything in life: If it's not growing, it's dying. Check the statistics. Last year, I believe 23 of our top 25-rated TV programs were NFL games. In the United States, football is reaching the point of saturation with its 360 million people. The global population is 20 times that, and we have to tap into it.

"You saw what happened when the Premier League [the professional soccer league in England] started to tap into the international market; it exploded. It behooves the NFL fan and the NFL owner, if you're going to grow the sport and continue in an upward trajectory, to mine the un-mined areas.''

Will it work? Will London or Dublin or a city in Germany -- or more than one of those -- support a full-time NFL team? I'm dubious. But the Khans and Bob Krafts and Roger Goodells are intent on finding out. As Khan says, "It is not without risk, let's face it."

His home market won't take kindly to losing a second home game, and he's going to have to find a way to finesse that to his fans. But I look at it like I look at the market closest to Jacksonville (TV market size: 47), which is 51st-rated Buffalo. Bills fans have to accept that to have a chance to keep the franchise in Buffalo long-term, cultivating the Toronto market is vital. The Jacksonville dalliance with London is totally different, obviously; fans in Buffalo can drive two hours to see a game in Toronto; fans in north Florida can't do that to see the team in London. Khan's outside-the-box thinking is a double-edged sword. But I'm not sure the Jags are in Jacksonville in 15 years with conventional thinking.

Levi is most likely right on this. The L.A. rumours have been around for about 2 seasons. But when the new owner came on it was agreed he wouldn't be able to sell us for a certain amount of time. I think he is stuck with us for a few seasons. I love my team but they are a sad state.

Off topic but your avatar......Aigor - Frodrick

*deep sigh*

I already knew this, and I'm not thrilled. We need all of the home games we can get at HOME. Plus that's a lot of pressure on us. The Jaguars don't have it together enough to win over Europe.....they've never much cared before and if we keep playing the way we do, they never will.

And Levi, it's always JAGWAAAAARS!!! :P

Off topic but your avatar......Aigor - Frodrick

Seriously one of my favorite parts in the ENTIRE movie!!! LOVE IT!

Â