Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

This club has had enough of that in the last two and a half years. There is only one man to blame for that and it ain't lambert.

The constant at the club during these past awful three years. Lerner who clearly doesn't know how to run a sports team and his lap dog Falkner.

Confidence is what is missing, as i said in the PL thread, loosing the way we did to Chelsea and the time before the Spuds match was a killer, If you were Spuds would you play normally against us or throw caution to the wind and go for it knowing if you scored then our heads would drop again, we must take things in context and look to the next game and give the players backing trying to build up there confidence, If we beat Wigan then the last 2 matches will be forgotten.

It's been said on here that Lambert didn't spend all of his budget in January! If that's true then he's at fault for holding money back when it would've surely been better spent over the summer.

Unless it's not true, of course.

so he should of just spent the money regardless of whether he could get the players e wanted, just to spend the money?

That's like saying we were twice as good as against Chelsea because we only lost 4:0.

Stats from last season's game :

Possession : Villa 54%, Tottenham 46%

Shots : Villa 12, Tottenham 23

Corners : Villa 7, Tottenham 9

Compared to last night's :

Possession : Villa 39%, Tottenham 61%

Shots : Villa 4, Tottenham 20

Corners : Villa 2, Tottenham 16

Stats taken from BBC.

How some people have the audacity to accuse others of being biased, I will never know...

This is exactly my point. Spurs had 23 shots in that game yet only managed to score one goal. On another day the scoreline would've been similar to last night.

If it means staying in the league I'd rather we didn't progress in the cup.. i fear if we do progress and get Chelsea in the final we would be a laughing stock yet again as it will be on TV too.

So it's probably for the best if we don't progress as stupid as that sounds.

What a ridiculous thing to say. First of all there's no guarantee we would get humiliated by Chelsea in the final (or that Chelsea will even be in the final) and secondly the most embarrassing thing of all would be go to out to League 2 Bradford over two legs.

If PL panics and buys so called experience players for the sake of it then we will move backwards and the last 2 years will have been for nothing. We have to buy the right players when they are available.

PL knows who he wants and when he can get them, if he doesn't then he might as well go now.

No but if that is true - and incidentely I don't - it sounds more like an excuse from some to under performance - he should have used his resources available to him to bring in players good enough to stabilise the team for a calm season before looking at moving forward. If he can't identify enough players or good enough players for the team who are availablele then surely that is his fault?

If PL panics and buys so called experience players for the sake of it then we will move backwards and the last 2 years will have been for nothing. We have to buy the right players when they are available.

PL knows who he wants and when he can get them, if he doesn't then he might as well go now.

I'd say being relegated because the team is full of players not good enough with not bottle will be moving more than two years backwards

No but if that is true - and incidentely I don't - it sounds more like an excuse from some to under performance - he should have used his resources available to him to bring in players good enough to stabilise the team for a calm season before looking at moving forward. If he can't identify enough players or good enough players for the team who are availablele then surely that is his fault?

Exactly. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Whilst I agree with this the players may be ok for a year but then again we have the job of getting rid of them when we dont need them and the extra wages this incurs.

If you read the forum back we all wanted a manager to come in, get rid of the deadwood, look at the quality in lower divisions like other clubs do, get young foreign players in like other clubs do, pick players on form and not have favourites,

Seems to me PL is doing all of the above but it shows it is not as easy as we all think, Good job its PL with the head ache of getting it right.

Also it looks like RL actually listens to us as he seems to be doing what the fans cried out for.

I'd say being relegated because the team is full of players not good enough with not bottle will be moving more than two years backwards

And that would probably be the case if Lambert panic buys a few experienced players who aren't actually any good.

I agree. Loads of people are just crying out for any kind of experience but that does absolutely no good if said experienced player is shit as well.

We were just as shit 2 years ago, we have always done well in the first half of as season then gone down hill, what makes me laugh though is that we call for players to be dropped and they are, when we get in trouble we call for them to come back as they will improve the team, what we dont see is how they are on the training pitch and what their attitudes are like, any manager worth his salt would pick players who have been dropped again if he believed they would improve the team.

Think it's rubbish to say no one expected to beat Chelsea and spurs so you can't get annoyed or angry.

**** me we lost those games 12-0 with two absolutely pathetic attempts at trying to play football.

I agree with you John. We are very lucky to have not conceded a double figure score for the first time in Premier League history. The way we capitulated against Chelsea was disgraceful and amateurish football. We were like scared rats against Spurs in the first half and we were lucky to go in 0-0 at half time. A Spurs goal was always on the cards and as soon as we conceded the first I said this will be 4 or 5 now.

My biggest fear with Lambert is this apparent gung-ho style that he promotes. Yes, we all want to see our team trying to score goals but the table doesn't lie and neither do the stats. We have scored the least amount of goals in the league so where is this gung-ho approach getting us? We could have conceded a few to Liverpool before we scored in that game. The Norwich cup game is the same. I really do worry about how we react to going a goal behind in games. I think the key to us surviving is for us to score the first goal in games. Otherwise, I fear we could take a few more hammerings before this season is over.

we have always done well in the first half of as season then gone down hill

Not always. Two years ago we had a poor first half of the season (20 points from 19 games, so only 2 more than we've got now) yet had a solid second half of the season which saw us take 28 points from 19 games. I think we'll do the same this year.

The pressure on our kids going into Saturday is immense now.

Just like it was a month ago against Reading, which we won.

Mantis 28 points from 19 games is a massive ask from this group of players. Where do you see those wins / draws coming.

We probably won't get that many points but I definitely think we'll improve in the second half and maybe get something like 22, which would take us to 40 points (which I think will be more than enough to keep you up this season). Edited by Mantis

I agree with you John. We are very lucky to have not conceded a double figure score for the first time in Premier League history. The way we capitulated against Chelsea was disgraceful and amateurish football. We were like scared rats against Spurs in the first half and we were lucky to go in 0-0 at half time. A Spurs goal was always on the cards and as soon as we conceded the first I said this will be 4 or 5 now.

My biggest fear with Lambert is this apparent gung-ho style that he promotes. Yes, we all want to see our team trying to score goals but the table doesn't lie and neither do the stats. We have scored the least amount of goals in the league so where is this gung-ho approach getting us? We could have conceded a few to Liverpool before we scored in that game. The Norwich cup game is the same. I really do worry about how we react to going a goal behind in games. I think the key to us surviving is for us to score the first goal in games. Otherwise, I fear we could take a few more hammerings before this season is over.

Oh the devil and the deep blue sea,

In fairness we should have shut up shop against Chelsea, but as for the gung ho style - against certain teams it should be this way, Remember last season AM tried the defensive play and was hammered on here for it.

Not always. Two years ago we had a poor first half of the season (20 points from 19 games, so only 2 more than we've got now) yet had a solid second half of the season which saw us take 28 points from 19 games. I think we'll do the same this year.

I really hope you are right, what ever happens though its got to be better than the first half of this season.