Front Page: A new dawn, a new hope, a new man, a new plan

limpid

by carlitobrigante

First off I am a villa fan through and through. I was born the year we won the Euro cup and my family are all Claret and Blue (except for a step brorther Ive had to disown for supporting 'that other team').

However I began to fall out of love with the club around about the time Gregory left. I still watched us when we were on telly, looked for our results, watched Match Of The Day etc but the passion was gone, I no longer bought the new strip every season, I no longer wore any villa clothing whilst out and about and I stopped going to matches all together.

This didnt happen instantly, it was a slow gradual process, it ended in me almost being ashamed of who I supported, heck I couldnt even hurl abuse at my blue nosed work mates anymore once they got promoted! Needless to say it was looking bad and it culminated in the hideous defeats suffered at home by the Blues, this was the low point of my life as a Villa fan, and it didnt look like improving. I seriously thought we would be playing in the championship next season, and that thought depressed me like you wouldnt believe as it did all of you I'm sure.

Then within 3 months we have the Holy Trinity of events all come at once! Firstly we have the pure joy of seeing Small Heath go back to their rightful place in the fizzy pop division, then Doug somehow lures Martin O'Neill (who I honestly thought would next be managing Man Utd or England), then even better Doug leaves and we get a Billionaire who isnt a complete muppet like the Glazers! He actually seems like a cool guy who wants to take us places not take fatten his wallet.

To say this was a special moment is an understatement, it was if a Villa fan had found a magic lamp and used all his three wishes on the club!

The difference was immediate, I'm proud to pull on my newly bought claret & blue strip (away top too just for good measure), Ive been down the Holte more times this season so far than I did in the last 3 years! Theres a bounce in my step when I head down to watch the match, I see the smile on my fellow Villians faces and it feels good my friends.

Berate me if you wish for being a glory hunter, for only wanting to show my support when things are going well, but Doug and his methods numbed the great love I have for my team and I'm seriously overjoyed that Martin & Randy have given that back to me! Even if we dont do aswell as I hope we will, we now have genuine hope, and if theres one thing Doug took away from me it was hope.

No more negative remarks, no more holding back to see whether this a false dawn, lets all get behind the club, pack the stands every week and shout till our lungs burst. The fans are coming back boys, lets take this club back to the promised land!

Guest Lew_Chatterleys_Lover

This season's great but its all the better if you've been there and suffered.

I never wear the colours anyway but thats just me

Guest VillaFan1

Yup been through a lot of pain for villa are UEFA cup run when were knocked out and being so close to relegation numerous times.

Its that much better when you see them doing well and playing like they would die for the cause :)

The defining moment for me really was watching SSN and that car drove up - and, as soon as you saw the gathered fans' faces, you just KNEW it was MON in the car and also, at that point, I think I just KNEW that the takeover was happening - cos all the talk (and I believe it to be true) was that MON would never have taken the job if Doug had been staying - it then became obvious at the Press conference also.

Booo, glory hunter! :winkold:

You were not alone in your apathy towards the club, mate, and no one can really blame those who fell out of love with Villa under Ellis' final years. I am sure many will come back from their exile now that the new "regime" is in place, and your article really describes why change was so absolutely vital for the club.

There is a great atmosphere surrounding the club now, I can feel it all the way up to Norway. We'll soon be back where we belong, and the place will be rockin' :D

by carlitobrigantethen Doug somehow lures Martin O'Neill (who I honestly thought would next be managing Man Utd or England), then even better Doug leaves and we get a Billionaire who isnt a complete muppet like the Glazers! He actually seems like a cool guy who wants to take us places not take fatten his wallet.

Welcome back into the fold, gld you're once again a proud Villan

But please don't say you believe that Doug actually appointed MON, he might have done it in name but MON was a Lerner appointment in actuallity. Lerner and MON had held talks way before MON was appointed and the takeover announced. It may have appeared to be a Doug appointment but if Doug wasn't leaving and The Lerner bid wasn't about to happen then MON would never have come

just thought I'd point out that innacuracy.

As I said though, good to have back as once more proud Villan. Happy posting too :)

i and lots of my friends feel this way to. the low point was getting beating by small heath in their first season in the premiership - that sucked ass big time. that blue nose dick making a rocket polisher sign in front of enkelman's face really epitomised our fall from grace.

saying that, he probably cant get a job now, and we look like a top 6 club. ho ho ho

:cheers:

Â