Google Project Glass

ED

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We've got Google Glass at work now as our mobile apps team managed to convince the higher ups we might be able to do something with them...

Overall I'm unimpressed.

It's a fun novelty to have a voice in your head showing you where to go, but they get hot very quickly. The amount of times it's stopped working and told us Google Glass needs to cool down is stupid. They're obviously weighted on one side too, so I guess after wearing them for a while they'd probably start to get uncomfortable.

I was pretty excited to have a play with them, but that quickly wore off when I realised there isn't actually much to do with them. All the "wow" factor are pretty limiting, the live translations are good, but whenever I've been somewhere unable to read a sign it's usually been in a foreign country with no internet access anyway, so the need to fire the translations off to google's servers means it's very limited in usefulness.

It very much feels like an alpha product (because it is), but I can't really see much use for it in the real world, especially not if the cost stays as high as it is.

Â