booking holidays on t`internet

Jimzk5

anyone got any tips or beware storys?

looking to go away end of may and been to a few travel agents and been quoted about £400 7 nights all inclusive in salou, algarve etc, but looking on teletext holidays the same hotels, flights etc are as little as £250, wheres the catch?

Only tip is go for it! I can't remember the last time I didn't book on the internet! Been away about 30 times in the last 6/7 years (including weekend breaks to Europe) and always book flights and hotels online. Just book through reputable sites and you'll be fine.

Catch maybe you don't get hold baggage, transfers or ATOL protection.

Many prices in teletext don't include the above because I know most things about online travel.

They get their search data from traveltainmet and the online companies pair up dynamic flights with bed banks and sell as an operator most do have financial protection. Baggage and transfers is rare though.

Teletext do great prices and some products are good but don't expect a lot of the considered 5* tO be proper five star luxury.

Places like Turkey and Greece don't have official star ratings or bodies to judge them, ratings are generally at the discretion of the operator or hotel, mostly the operators decide what to rate hotels in those countries.

Also the flight times for cheap holidays will be shit, you'll leave late and return early essentially losing out on a days holiday. That or you leave at ungodly hours.

Also most low cost operators won't include in flight meals as most airlines charge extra anyway and most likely will be low cost airline rather than scheduled.

Example being to Turkey exPect Easyjet not Turkish Airlines.

Teletext make their money through cost per call and display advertising so those holidays will often be cheaper as the operator isn't factoring in agent commission which can be as high as 17%.

I would check out other holiday companies and check cashback sites.

Maybe booking the hotel direct and getting 10% cashback might work out cheaper.

Does teletext still exist ??? Just assumed it was long gone

Fair to say I've booked the odd holiday or two .. I only ever book online

For my main trips I'll go to an agency in that country as you will get better prices and better local knowledge.. Ie we got Tibet railway tickets when hardly any / no other westerners were able... Just do your homework before you send money off to the first travel agent you come across

For short trips / weekend breaks etc

Sky scanner is good for finding flight options , though not so good for open jaw flights

And booking.com for your hotels .. Never had any problems and always paid the quoted price and not stiffed by the hotel... Can go direct to the hotels but by and large booking.com has given a better price

tony that is fine to do seperately providing you go with scheduled airlines and well known hotels.

as you do it seperately you don't get atol protection as it isn't a holiday package.

however if you have sheeet hot insurance thay may cover non atol protected "holidays"

touch wood i've never needed it

I reckon if I can book trips directly with agencies in Mongolia , Tibet and Burma and not get stiffed then it's a fairly safe method ... we had to pay cash via bank transfers when we went to Burma , it's kind of a leap of faith but suffice to say they were there when we arrived ...

I'm sure one day that trust will be misplaced .. North Korea exactly 1 month today , hopefully that wont be the first one

ive just booked with teletext holidays to egypt for £475, when i phoned up i got put through to red sea holidays, told them my quote number and what have you and everything was fine, they sold me the baggage and transfers etc for an extra £45

strangest thing about it was the red sea holidays website had the same holiday on offer for £575...

its about the 5th holiday ive booked online as a package and ive never had trouble, booked it all seperate 3/4 times and never had trouble with that either

thanks for all the advice, ive just took the plunge and paid £290 to costa durada, it was advertised for £206 but with baggage and taxes it bumped the price up but its still £100 cheaper than thomas cook

Â