Counter Strike: Global Offensive

Stu_The_Villan

Cant believe theres not a thread for this already...please tell me im not the only counter strike fan here?!

Anyway, the game looks like everything i hoped it would be. Basically counter strike source with updated maps and graphics. Cross platform gaming between PC and PS3 which is a bit gutting being a Xbox owner but its not the end of the world. Its a downloadable title also so should be fairly cheap (£10 - £15). Released sometime early next year

Will link to a few videos later when i get chance.

It will be interesting to see how the cross platform play works out. I heard that there is no auto aim for console gamers, which will probably mean they get creamed by PC gamers. Valve say they arent too worried as after a while the matchmaking will take over and you will only be put in against people of your own skill level. The thing is, we have been hearing that for ages about matchmaking and it still doesnt work.

I heard that there is no auto aim for console gamers, which will probably mean they get creamed by PC gamers

I know what you mean, and PS3 owners will no doubt get their arses handed to them with that dual shock...really not geared towards fps games are they. Xbox should be a level playing field though, so the no cross platform on xbox is a good thing in my eyes.

I used to play CS:S religiously. I ill play this more on Pc, but ill get it for Xbox just to see what it's like on console.

EDIT

It has cross platform lol? **** getting it for Xbox then.

It's cross-platform with PS3 because mouse and keyboard will be supported. You can't use those on 360.

Im read somewhere that its not supported on xbox due to the xbox having tighter security measures and also being a standalone platform in terms of online gaming. Nowt to do with mouse and keyboard.

It's cross-platform with PS3 because mouse and keyboard will be supported. You can't use those on 360.

Im read somewhere that its not supported on xbox due to the xbox having tighter security measures and also being a standalone platform in terms of online gaming. Nowt to do with mouse and keyboard.

Kinda this. Sony made the PS3 a bastard to program for, which was a terrible mistake because Microsoft decided to make the 360 as easy as possible for developers to use. Yes, the PS3 is more powerful (in theory at least) but if everybody who makes games for a living has to learn a completely new language to use it then they will probably just go with the 360 which is basically a PC without a keyboard that everybody in western game development knew how to use from day one. While PS3 exclusives tended to look better than 360 exclusives, multi platform games almost always looked better on 360, again, because the PS3 was a pig to code for and wasnt selling enough units to give developers any incentive to learn how to use it better.

This led to some shitty PS3 conversions of games, most famously the PS3 version of The Orange Box being well below par. Valve, makers of The Orange Box (Half Life, TF2, Portal) just decided to say they couldnt be arsed with the PS3 any more and never missed a chance to talk shit about it.

Fast forward a couple of years and Sony decided that they actually needed to make things a bit easier for developers, so by all accounts they offered more support to the people actually trying to make games for their system. **** knows what was said at the meeting with Valve, but Gabe Newell (MD at Valve) must have came out of it with a big bag full of money and carte blanche to do what he wanted. Sony wanted good versions of Valve games, mostly because Valve games are awesome so Valve get to play with the PS3 more than anybody else does. Valve make Counter Strike if you hadnt already guessed.

Anyway, when it was time for Portal 2 to come out it emerged that Valve had put a lot of time and effort into the game and they had also been allowed to install a version of Steam on the PS3. Steam is Valves version of Xbox Live/PSN, and it is miles better than either if you ask me. Steam being on PS3 means that Sony get some features for their online service that they had been missing and Valve get more people to be aware of the fact that Steam exists. Customers get really good PS3 versions of Valve games and they get to play with cross platform gaming.

TLDR version: Valve can do what they want on PS3 because Sony wanted a good version of Portal 2. Customers actually come out winning in this instance.

Basically counter strike source with updated maps and graphics

Analogous to Call of Duty series then. No creativity at all, just updated graphics with every new edition.

Mate, thats no bad thing. The gameplay is what makes the game, it doesnt need changing.

They have made a few little changes though, most notably the inclusion of molotov cocktails! Also, they have a stun gun weapon that is one shot kill but only has one bullet.

Cant wait.

Basically counter strike source with updated maps and graphics
Analogous to Call of Duty series then. No creativity at all, just updated graphics with every new edition.

If it aint broke dont fix it. Nobody has changed the rules of Chess for a couple of thousand years now, yet people still play it.

I dont think CS: GO is supposed to be a triple A monster hit game. Valve are just putting it out there and seeing what happens.

Â