Bastion [PC, 360]

The_Rev

Supergiant Games

mLQzF.jpg

This has been an indie darling pretty much since it was announced, I always assumed because one of the guys making it is ex Gamespot and has a lot of friends in the industry. Anyway, I decided to pick it up on PC this week and I have to say that it is **** fantastic.

Giant Bomb quick look

Essentially it is an old school action game. You run around and explore, and you hit and shoot things. The quick look above isnt entirely typical of the game, but they didnt want to spoil the man part of the game. The big hook is that there is Vanishing Point style narrator who comments on the entire game. He has a shitload of dialogue, so much more than, say, a FIFA commentator where you will hear the same lines over and over. The graphics are lovely (I am playing on PC, I assume it is identical on 360) and the sound is just amazing, not just the voice but also the music. Play it through headphones and it is almost worth listening to on its own. Yes, I am gushing over a game for the first time in months. It's about £11, you should definitely play this. :nod:

I really wanted to like Bastion, what with GiantBomb raving over it (must admit I also had a cynical edge to thoughts on that similar to yours Rev on it being made by a buddy of theirs, so to speak), and looking right up my alley and beautiful.

I downloaded the demo on XBLA and well... I dunno what it was but it didn't click.

I actually still want to like it, so I get tempted to just buy it anyway, but I worry that I won't grow to genuinely like it.

I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. I don't dislike the gamebut I don't think the gameplay is anything brilliant.

This. Its just another decent indie game IMO. Not in the same league as world of goo or super meat boy. Note to self, play world of goo again.

Â