Away Pubs

avid_1977

• 2 weeks later...

barking road, very close to the ground - few minutes' walk if i remember rightly. lots of little typical cockney cafes and eateries on the same street as well as cashpoints, a dominos and various other shops. busy road, the inside and outside of the pub will be packed what with 3000 of us heading down. hopefully it's just as hot as it was for mellberg's last away game. will be a brilliant day (prior to the game anyway!!)

edit: having just looked on google maps to jog my memory, probably more of a 5-10 minute walk but it's just an easy straight shot down barking road then the priory road to the away end. can't miss it as you can see the ground above the buildings and there will be a stream of thousands of villa and west ham fans in that area and heading that way. there were loads of police last time as well but it was very much a relaxed end of season type atmosphere outside the ground.

there were loads of police last time as well but it was very much a relaxed end of season type atmosphere outside the ground.

Yeah not so sure that'll be the same this year - with West Ham (and us) both desperatley needing the points. Still, thanks for the heads up, sounds like its the place to go before the game!

Flying Scotsman, Kings Cross.

Plenty of tits, fanny and the Villa! 8)

what time will you be in london? only 15 quid for a single for me down to st pancras. had decided to go to new st and get a lift to make it cheaper and get dad to pay for tube and that but given we've sold out i want to make a day of it. and you know how he'll probably want to arrive late as always. i'd rather go straight to the central though what with all the travel problems. can enjoy a few pints in the sunshine as well as i'm guessing the flying scotsman has blacked out windows!!

Yeah not so sure that'll be the same this year - with West Ham (and us) both desperatley needing the points. Still, thanks for the heads up, sounds like its the place to go before the game!

yeah i can imagine it being a bit more tense both inside and outside this time around. but then there'll be plenty of villa fans about and when we take full allocations to places we usually take over completely so i can't see it being too intimidating.

no worries mate, enjoy!

Flying Scotsman, Kings Cross.

Plenty of tits, fanny and the Villa! 8)

what time will you be in london? only 15 quid for a single for me down to st pancras. had decided to go to new st and get a lift to make it cheaper and get dad to pay for tube and that but given we've sold out i want to make a day of it. and you know how he'll probably want to arrive late as always. i'd rather go straight to the central though what with all the travel problems. can enjoy a few pints in the sunshine as well as i'm guessing the flying scotsman has blacked out windows!!

yeah i can imagine it being a bit more tense both inside and outside this time around. but then there'll be plenty of villa fans about and when we take full allocations to places we usually take over completely so i can't see it being too intimidating.

no worries mate, enjoy!

All sorted, picking villan_avfc up from New Street at 9.24, drive to mutli storey at Lower Thames Street, District Line from Tower Hill to Mile End then bus for rest of the way.

VillaAndLoyal, we'll meet you and Ed in Central hopefully by 1.00 p.m.

Cannot wait for this one!! Train from Waterloo to West Ham then prob taxi because there's a problem with the district line apparently?? Meeting in the Central on Barking Road??

Yes there are no tubes to Upton Park on Saturday and yes the Central is the away pub where most Villa will be drinking.

:D

We're coming into Marylebone for 11 o clock - Anybody recommend a pub near there before we go to the pubs nearer the ground

Decent pub opposite Baker St tube station called the Globe, think it's no more than 10 min walk from Marylebone...

The West Mids Police - Force Football Unit have just said the following on twitter:

#avfc Fans travelling to West Ham on Saturday The Central Public House, Barking Road, E6 3BD, will be accepting away fans

#avfc Fans travelling to West Ham on Saturday The Millers Well Public House, Barking Road, E6 2JX, will be accepting away fans

#avfc Fans travelling to West Ham on Saturday The Denmark Arms Public House, Barking Road, E6 1LA will be accepting away fans

#avfc Fans travelling to West Ham on Saturday be aware that there is an alcohol exclusion zone around Upton park alcohol will be seized.

All 3 are on the road that leads to Upton Park. The Central is closest to the ground, then The Denmark Arms, then The Millers Well.

We're coming into Marylebone for 11 o clock - Anybody recommend a pub near there before we go to the pubs nearer the ground

Decent pub opposite Baker St tube station called the Globe, think it's no more than 10 min walk from Marylebone...

That will do nicely - Thanks

It looks as though the coaches are leaving fairly early for this one (9.30am). According to google maps, we should get there for 11.50 Although with all the manchester fans going down too i'll presume about 12.30, quite early for an away day, the two Manchester games ive been to (both midweek) have gotten us there about 45mins before kickoff..

Anybody know how to get to The Central from Upton Park? Never been to a WHU away day, last thing i wanna do is walk by myself into a load of West Ham fans after hearing about the way they acted at SHA.

Are you on the official travel?

They often stop at services on the way so you would normally need to take time for that into account.

However, the last few London games I've been to they haven't stopped due to the Met Police wanting coaches there by a certain time.

The coaches drive past The Central before dropping off a bit further down the road by the ground (they don't park inside the ground itself), so it's just a case of walking back in the direction you came from for a few mins.

I remember on 'Mellberg Day', as we drove past, The Central was already heaving with Villa fans and they were all cheering and singing at us!

Awesome, yeah on the official travel, might ask the driver to just let me out as we drive past. Oh okay, didnt think about services - thought the drivers only had to stop once every 4 hours (never stopped once on the way to Manchester, which i think was a similar time frame).

Awesome, looking forward to this one now.

It's literally only a few mins down the road from where they drop off. I think you'll find plenty of people walking back to the pub, me included!

What coach are you on? I'm on coach 3.

Â