Travelling Europe

maximus

Anybody got an experiences or recommendations on where to go in europe.

I start off in Munich where interrail pass will kick in and so far plan is:

Munich>

Salzburg>

Innsbruck>

Venice>

Rome>

Florence>

Then possibly spain depending on time.

Not sure if there any other places i should go on route. Possibly interlaken in switzerland but a bit out of the direction was going.

My mate did this in the summer. Ive seen a bit of Europe but inter railing sounds great. His top tip was get long distance overnight trains, sleep on them and save on hostels. He made some strange journeys which didnt seem to be in a logical order of visiting cities but the sleeper trains saved him a fortune

only really done most of it by car so not sure how trains would work for you but

From Munich I'd recommend heading down towards Berchtesgaden or Neuschwanstein .. the other way but Berlin would be worth a look

Florence is a beautiful place ,the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore is one of the best buildings i've ever seen.

Go and see David as well but it's a bit meh for me what with me being a philistine when it comes to art and sculptures ( see the proper one inside the museum not the copy that is outside )

Pisa is about 30 min drive away so you should be able to get a local train there from Florence , once you can blank out 2000 people taking a picture of themselves trying to push the tower back up it's well worth the visit

After Rome take the train down to Pompeii , if you do visit it though get a guided tour as you will miss loads and what you do see won't really mean a lot to you

if you head over to Bari you can take a ferry over to Montenegro (Bar , i think ) , and train back towards Austria / Germany via Sarajevo or Belgrade , worth considering instead of Spain , depending on time and money of course

Salzburg not worth the effort tbh

just a few thoughts , i could probably go on :-)

Berchtesgaden is well worth the visit, my parents took me when I was a kid, a very interesting place and my dad even obtained a peice of Hitlers garage!

How long you going for Maximus? And do those Interrail tickets cover any train fare within Europe?

How long is your pass? You could do a lot more if you have a month one.

I did, Paris, Lille, Brussels, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Krakow, High Tatras (Slovakia), Budapest, Zagreb, Hvar, Ljubjlana, Nice, Barcelona.

(Had to skip Italy but spent time in Florence and Milan before). Stayed most places 3 nights but some where just one day or night stop offs.

I would definately recommend veering East. Didn't go very East myself but what I did see was very different and very cheap. I've heard Bosnia is a cracking place to visit.

My favourite cities that I would definately recommend would be Berlin, Amsterdam, Budapest, Prague and the High Tatra mountains in North Slovakia were amazing.

I did it in a van a few years ago. Because we were driving we kept it all in a fairly circular route without any really far flung destinations. It was something like:

Paris

Bordeaux

Pamplona (Bull run)

Zaragoza

Barcelona

Avignon

Nice

Monaco

Genova

La Spezia

Pisa

Milan

Verona

Innsbruck

Munich

Music festival in CZ Rep

Prague

Lepzig

Dresden

Berlin

Hamburg, via some lakes

Grongien

Amsterdam

Antwerp

Brussells

Brugge

Some of those places we spent a few days in, some a few hours. And lots of interesting little towns and villages on the way as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Im going for a month. Getting the 10 days travel within 22 days pass then will buy single tickets for the rest. Quitting my job to do it. Seems crazy quitting job just to go away for a month but ill never get the time off to do it and would regret it if i didnt do it.

Had a google at Berchtesgaden and it looks amazing.defo gona go for a day trip there when in munich.

wainey- what was Ljubjlana like?? was thinking going there as wanted to go to lake bled which i beleive isnt to far away?? Also how was the train ride from nice to barcelona?? really wana go there but thinking it might be a bit of a journey.

Any other recomendations and tips are greatly appreciated :-)

Ljubjlana was great, really nice little city, although I wouldn't of spent more than two days there. Didn't get to check out Lake Bled as we were in a rush to get to Barca to before out passes ran out. I know there is a poster on VT from Ljubjlana though, but can't remember his name.

Make sure you use your rail pass when travelling through France and Italy as they have by far the highest fares. Some places make you pay a small reservation fee on top of your pass too. (Thin I only experienced this in France though, was about and extra 5 euros).

The train all the way from Northern Italy to Barca via Nice was beautiful. You don't need a book to read for that one, just look out the window, although my favourite train journey was definately Zagreb to Split.

It's like being on a runway mine train, through tunnels built in mountains and on the edge of gorges.

On the way back we had to get a replacement bus though because there had been a mega crash on that line!

• 2 weeks later...
How long is your pass? You could do a lot more if you have a month one.

I did, Paris, Lille, Brussels, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Krakow, High Tatras (Slovakia), Budapest, Zagreb, Hvar, Ljubjlana, Nice, Barcelona.

(Had to skip Italy but spent time in Florence and Milan before). Stayed most places 3 nights but some where just one day or night stop offs.

I would definately recommend veering East. Didn't go very East myself but what I did see was very different and very cheap. I've heard Bosnia is a cracking place to visit.

My favourite cities that I would definately recommend would be Berlin, Amsterdam, Budapest, Prague and the High Tatra mountains in North Slovakia were amazing.

I have to agree about Budapest and the Tatra mountains - absolutely brilliant places. I would also suggest visiting Krakow in Poland and Ljubljana in Slovenia, the latter because it has the greatest ever beer :)

Â