Cash points abroad - Advice

Woodytom

Get an FX VISA card. Pre-load with cash (you can top up via your phone or the internet) in your target currency, works in cashpoints, shops, restaurants, etc. Much cheaper than using your regular credit/debit card. You can usually get one issued within about a week.

I use FairFX. Caxton FX is also a good deal.

Is it too late to start looking for my passport?

If i was to withdraw £100 from the cash point - Do you know how much it would be? Lad at work says 2.5% which Im fine with, because you would pay that changing your money. he might be talking shite tho

From which:

Travelex Cash Passport.

If you need a card quick

Not far behind is the foreign exchange giant Travelex’s Cash Passport. There's no fee for spending abroad, but it does charge 2% when you top up online, by phone or in stores.

You’ll get the prevailing Travelex exchange rate, generally not as good as FairFX/Caxton, and the exchange rates you get on the best credit and debit cards.

The big boon over the above cards is it's available at Travelex branches, plus Thomas Cook and Co-op Travel agents, meaning you can get one mega quick if your holiday is soon, though buy there and you can only then top-up in branches (where you'll be charged that shop's commission) or by bank transfer .

It charges a £2/€3/$3.50 monthly charge if the card goes unused for twelve months. If you’re heading towards that situation, simply cancel the card as it’s rarely worth it.

I think its a fixed fee tbh , tends to be about £1.50 - £2.50 depending on your bank

Nationwide used to give me free withdrawals abroad but now charge for outside Europe .. even allowing for this modest charge they give you pretty much the bank rate rather than the tourist rate .. I was getting a far better rate in Oz in August than my mate with an Abbey Nat account ( and he got a £2.50 fee ,which i didn't get )

and if you read the small print on your credit card you will see a fee is charged on all transactions made abroad , something that Nationwide don't do ( least they didn't last time i used it , that may now have changed as well)

bit late for this trip , but worth checking them out if you are likely to go abroad a lot

• 2 weeks later...
Â