Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I've never rooted or installed a custom ROM on my Nexus S (the Nexus phone for 2011, released at the very end of 2010) but I had 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and 4.1 Jelly Bean within a couple of weeks of them being released for the "flagship" hardware Google had at the time, the Galaxy Nexus (Nexus phone for 2012) for ICS and the Nexus 7 (tablet) for Jelly Bean.

I stick with my opinion that Nexus handsets are the way to go on Android. The debate has been had many times in this thread already and I maintain my stance that at the high end software is more important than hardware. I'd rather have the latest version of Android and 1gb of RAM than an old version and 2gb of RAM. What exactly can I do with that extra RAM if the operating system is designed around 1gb and no apps are being made which are exclusive to the Galaxy S3. It is a bit unfortunate that you have decided to upgrade at a point where the Galaxy Nexus is getting towards the end of its life cycle, though I am pretty sure it is the only phone on the market today which will be guaranteed to get the next version of Android when it is released in the future. I am sure the Galaxy S3 is a fantastic phone. I just dont want custom skins and I dont want to be unsure about getting updates.

Thats interesting because a friend as got a Galaxy NExus and it looks lovely and feels nice in the hand. His Mrs has an S2 which I didn't like to much.....

Galaxy Nexus is a different form factor, but the core of the phone is the same hardware spec as the S2,same processor and other intervals. The Nexus had a bigger qHD screen but lower spec camera than the S2.

I agree revisiting the S2 after using the S3 it does feel very light and a bit old in the hand, the plus the back feels a bit cheap compared to the S3.

If you want the best feeling phone then the One X mops the floor with the Samsung phones. Looks and feels great to hold.

From reading what you have said there is only one phone for you, the HTC one S and it's S4 processor. It's essentially a one X but the smaller screen and less power consuming yet still superbly powerful processor mean it has much better batterylife than the X and on par I think with the S3.

The screen is hardly small at 4.3 inch it's a big jump from your 3.7 inch Desire. Also it looks great and you already know and like HTC Sense. Plus everyone else has the S3 or one X so you will have the great phone people overlook

I think you've found your new phone.

The S3 runs an Android based OS from Samsung.

Conor is right that the hardware on the S3 is top notch, how much difference it makes between running Samsungs version of android + bloatware compared to the Nexus running Jelly Bean would be interesting.

Rev your post does completely overlook the fact I and many people view the skins as enhancements to Android. In my view I get the best hardware with my S3 and an improved version of Android with my Touchwiz skin. The in the big debate you nexus gang assume vanilla android is superior to skinned android. When that is subjective.

For example it took until 4.1 for Google to remedy the lag live wallpapers caused on the galaxy nexus, and a lag that was not present on the S2. In general the reviews of the galaxy nexus mentioned lag, and tech radar asked why the newer phone had software flaws when it's brother the S2 implemented android super slick.

Anyway this is just more in the debate. It is of course subjective which is preferable and so there is no right or wrong in such a debate.

Case in point above with Mykeyb, and what some call bloatware others call enhancements. Both the S2 and S3 had and have functionality added by Samsung which enhances the user experience. Each to their own, and but I like lots of touchwiz and really like the smart stay feature since the update. Works much better.

Out of curiosity Conor, are you a second hand car salesman?

:D I do sound like it at times Haha, nah I read lots of tech sites about phones as I really like them. A fire rekindled that was lost since I was building my own pcs back in late 90s early 00s.

Cheers Conor - one problem with the One S - no SD slot....... not a deal breaker since my Desire only has an 8GB card in it at present but its rammed. Being stuck at 16GB for the next one doesn't appeal......

Case in point above with Mykeyb, and what some call bloatware others call enhancements. Both the S2 and S3 had and have functionality added by Samsung which enhances the user experience. Each to their own, and but I like lots of touchwiz and really like the smart stay feature since the update. Works much better.

It would be interesting if you broke it down how much of Touchwiz you do use. I have seen you mention numerous times about running custom launchers and hiding pre-installed apps that you dont use. Surely if its not used it is bloatware, it may be better to run pure android and install apps that offer the bits of touchwiz you do use regularly.

Cheers Conor - one problem with the One S - no SD slot....... not a deal breaker since my Desire only has an 8GB card in it at present but its rammed. Being stuck at 16GB for the next one doesn't appeal......

No SD Card on the Nexus either.....

No SD Card on the Nexus either.....

Oh fucksocks.

Only the Galaxy S3 has removable sd slot, none of the HTC, Nexus or Sony lines have them. So its S3 if you want the sd slot.

No sd card is a deal breaker for me by the way. I've a big card loaded with my music which I switch to another phone when I go running.

Sure thing Mykey, on my S3 I love the following touchwiz additions.

The notifications bar and power button have every toggle setting you'd want. Plus now notifications has brightness slider too.

I like how I can set 2 levels of brightness one for browser one for phone.

I love the power saving which reduces the clock speed of the cpu meaning a real power saving that's not like turning off sync etc..

I like how I can change the display vibrancy for various preset settings. I I have mega saturation on.

I really like smart stay, it's working better with new update and works better when I know how to hold my phone. Simple idea but great.

S beam is unreal for transferring stuff, only 2 mates have S3s thus far but I got pics from my mates wedding in seconds by tapping phones. It is a cool feature.

I've always been a mega fan of the video app and they way the S3 plays all the videos in tiles when browsing is cool.

The motion controls are great, but the two I use is press the screen on lock screen and turn phone 180 degrees activates the camera. Very handy. Also the double tap top of phone to get to top of list/Page is also useful.

The swiping left and right of a contact to call or text is second nature now since the S2. I'd feel weird without it.

The lock screen shortcuts are very handy and also accessing the notifications from lock screen is great too. It knows when I have headphones connected and the notification bar then gives me a list of relevant apps I can launch.

So headphones in, and notification bar from lock screen, then music app and select a track. Handy.

Also 50gb of dropbox is excellent and I love Flipboard app.

That's about it so far. I don't see a downside to having a skin as a custom launcher makes your phone look like you want it to and you can root to remove apps if you so desire.

I love Samsung touchwiz. As you can see loads of little additions make a big difference.

They are out everywhere basically so I'm picking mine up Monday they will have stock then.

I feel like an apple fan with all this out of stock business. Google must be selling these by the truckload.

Imagine a well priced Nexus 10 next year would be a hit too

Â