Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

The browser is unreal fast. Standout improvement from 2.2 I must say. Samsung have impressed me highly with this version of touchwiz, not even a hint of lag, it's as fast as Darkys 9.5 which is impressive.

How do I get the keyboard back to the way it was in 2.2, I don't want the microphone or language change icons. Is 2.3.3 the version of gingerbread you are running on the nexus?

The NS browser doesn't have the GPU optimisations that Samsung have put in Touchwiz. It's pretty good but not as good as Samsung's implementation.

With the keyboard, I assume you'll have to root it, then copy the /system/app/LatinIME.apk and /system/lib/libjni_latinime.so files over from a Froyo ROM.

The AOSP base is currently 2.3.3 so whether it's the default Google build, or CM7 (which I'm on) it's 2.3.3. They're apparently cleaning up the source for Honeycomb so we won't get that for a few weeks.

They're apparently cleaning up the source for Honeycomb so we won't get that for a few weeks.

It's not that they're cleaning it up, but that honeycomb isn't a phone os, as such they don't want people running it on phones so they won't open source it until it can provide a decent user experience on phones.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went straight to Ice cream in AOSP, as that is being made with both phone and tablet support from the start.

Impressed samsung have managed to be the first out with gingerbread and it's the latest version too. Suppose I've only a short time left with the phone before the sequel is out in may.

I always root, so will install the older swype keyboard. They have the comma though, I remember reading such a fuss about the nexus losing the comma. The stupidest complaint I've ever heard.

The landscape keyboard is much improved I must say. All in all I suppose opinions need to change on samsung and software, you said they had put a huge team on android and it tells. I'm amazed especially as this is on RFS too.

All in all I suppose opinions need to change on samsung and software, you said they had put a huge team on android and it tells. I'm amazed especially as this is on RFS too.

You think that would have happened without google having the nexus s though?

Come on the only thing that has changed is they've got google devs porting the os for their phone now doing all the hard work.

I know it's obvious that google are helping them, but I don't care who is doing the work it's very good. Add to that the galaxy s2 seems to be amazingly slick on pre release software and the software problem that bugged the galaxy s on its initial release looks a thing of the past.

Amazing what a shed load of handset sales does. There is no doubt samsung are investing in the software area and it is likely they will and are improving.

But if the s2 isn't google supported it may not have the rapid turn around of software upgrades.

It's far too early to say it's time to change opinion on samsung's software, we have to wait to see how they handle their updates on phones that don't share hardware with a google phone.

Don't get me wrong I'm hoping samsung have stepped up their game, the new galaxy tabs are things of beauty and I want an excuse to buy one, but I just think we should still wait and see before celebrating their new found love of the software update.

Very true, only time will tell if they will change their ways. But they have impressed enough people with the galaxy s and if they up their game on the software side they could build a brand loyalty from their customers. If I'm here with my galaxy s2 waiting months after the latest desire to get a software update I'll be reticent to by another samsung phone.

But I've seen how rapidly they have got their act together and the galaxy s2 will launch with the latest software. So it's all about if samsung are one if the first oem's out with ice cream. The goal is to beat htc to the punch.

Hmm, as much as I want a galaxy tab 8.9 I'm worried about samsungs first attempt at a touchwiz overlay. Given their first shot at touchwiz on the galaxy s was buggy as hell. It seems to take them a bit of time to iron out the software. I'll give them a chance but if I hear the wires lag in a full review I'll fork out the extra for a zoom or give it a miss altogether.

But the 8.9 does seem the nice level of portability I want to replace my netbook.

They're apparently cleaning up the source for Honeycomb so we won't get that for a few weeks.

It's not that they're cleaning it up, but that honeycomb isn't a phone os, as such they don't want people running it on phones so they won't open source it until it can provide a decent user experience on phones.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went straight to Ice cream in AOSP, as that is being made with both phone and tablet support from the start.

They probably will go straight to Ice Cream for official builds, but Honeycomb will have to drop into AOSP at some stage. At that time the code will have to be better, and it will make it into stuff like CM.

Whether that will be as Ice Cream or /fixed/ Honeycomb is immaterial really.

Firefox 4 is out for Android today. I'm gonna give it whirl, but I am so impressed with the 2.3 default browser that it going to have to be amazing to make me switch.

Yeah nothing at all gets close the the default browser. I've tried plenty, the only problem I have with it is I cant set the useragent to desktop like I can with Dolphin

point the browser to about:debug, then menu > more > settings > debug > UAString

change it to whatever you want.

I'm getting seriously **** off with google policing the market like apple. First my gambling apps are removed, now psx4driod is taken down. Google need to stop being controlling of market content. Open my ass.

I'm all for it. Malicious apps are a problem on the Android marketplace (which is still a pile of shit compared to the iOS app store) and Google needs to get on it and quickly. You can still install anything you want from the internet if you know where to find it, Android is still open, but the Android marketplace needs to be a curated experience. The fact that Amazon can open a marketplace that is by all accounts miles better than the one installed on everybodies phone. Example? How the **** is ADW Launcher not top of the list when you search for it in the marketplace? Google is supposed to be the #1 search company in the world. Yes, the marketplace has lots of apps on it, but its a **** ghetto and it needs fixing.

I'm all for policing, but what on earth is the reason for taking down gambling apps? The internet is on the phone you can get to those gambling sites anyway. Also we know the removal of psx4droid is because sony are releasing the xperia play.

Police the market but don't remove stuff that is not malicious.

I can't answer for Google, but if they requested confirmation about the apps from the author and the authors didn't come back to them, or they are using fundamentally insecure methods then they have done the right thing. If they have removed them from a moral point of view then they have done wrong and I'll be looking for a new market.

They did it from a moral thing, they removed them all in december. They removed psx4droid because sony asked them., Where they will stop I don't know but once you start then I'm sure there is no stopping.

They did it from a moral thing, they removed them all in december. They removed psx4droid because sony asked them., Where they will stop I don't know but once you start then I'm sure there is no stopping.

Yes, damn them removing apps that blatantly infringed upon copyright.

One of the main problems with the market is the amount of knock offs of developers games, look at fruit ninja, there's a dozen clones on there, so how are the people that actually came up with the game going to make any money off it?

Â